Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    This bike is a rocket. So much fun. New bike day for me -img_4504.jpg-img_4505.jpg-img_4506.jpg-img_4509.jpg-img_4510.jpg-img_4514.jpg-img_4515.jpg-img_4516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice build! Looks great.

I bet it rails that berm sweet!

How does it do on the short steep climbs? That's how i get to my fun dh lines.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    Nice build! Looks great.

I bet it rails that berm sweet!

How does it do on the short steep climbs? That's how i get to my fun dh lines.
    Thank you
    It does rail the turns. It also crushes the steep punchy climbs. Absolutely no wheel flop. None. My fork is at 140mm and I love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anyone put a 27.5 x 2.8 on this? If so any issues?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    27.5 X 2.8's in 35mm rims on mine. Rocket Rons.

Many running this size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    anyone have seat of pants experience w N9, Chromag, Spot Rocker etc?? any reviews and compare/contrast?

Ride On

Nimble 9 Boost Ė Now In Stock!

Who's upgraded from a gen 1 N9? I have one and like it but always thought it rode pretty harsh, how is the ride quality on this new model. The tubes do look much less beefy so I'm thinking better ride?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by geraldooka; 12-07-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    Michael

Ride on!

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Who's upgraded from a gen 2 N9? I have one and liked the but always thought it rode pretty harsh how the ride quality on this new unit compare the tubes do look much less beefy so I'm thinking better ride?

I have both. The boost model is less harsh than the gen 2 frame, but the it rides differently also. The new frame has longer reach, and a higher head tube for a bigger fork. Since the reach is longer, the seat tube angle is steeper. This is very noticeable in that your weight is more over the bb and less over the rear wheel. The gen 2 frame is more flickable and carves corners tighter, but suffers on the climbs more. The boost frame creates a better balanced bike. It just takes a few rides to tweak your riding style to get it to react the same as a gen 2 frame. That said, I think the boost frame is a much better bike for tackling all day rides with varied terrain.

I also shot a low buck video comparing the two frames on YouTube. It should pop up if you search for Canfield on YT.

Ride On

Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I have both. The boost model is less harsh than the gen 1 frame, but the it rides differently also. The new frame has longer reach, and a higher head tube for a bigger fork. Since the reach is longer, the seat tube angle is steeper. This is very noticeable in that your weight is more over the bb and less over the rear wheel. The gen 2 frame is more flickable and carves corners tighter, but suffers on the climbs more. The boost frame creates a better balanced bike. It just takes a few rides to tweak your riding style to get it to react the same as a gen 2 frame. That said, I think the boost frame is a much better bike for tackling all day rides with varied terrain.

I also shot a low buck video comparing the two frames on YouTube. It should pop up if you search for Canfield on YT.
    Awesome, thanks dubthang! Any other folks out there have an opinion on ride quality particularly when standing for descents on rocky, rooty terrain?

I am comparing my gen1 N9 with a Legacy Krampus (built up in 29er mode right now not 29+). Besides the smaller diameter tubing, I suspect the 20mm longer chain stays on the Krampus help make it feel almost like it has rear suspension in comparison to my N9. I dig the new geo on the 2017 N9 so I'm hoping it rides smoother.

Last edited by geraldooka; 12-07-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    Michael

Ride on!

Gigantic Hawk
    Awesome, thanks dubthang! Any other folks out there have an opinion on ride quality particularly in standing descents or rocky, rooty terrain?

I am comparing my gen2 N9 with a Legacy Krampus (built up in 29er mode right now not 29+). Besides the smaller diameter tubing, I suspect the 20mm longer chain stays on the Krampus help make it feel almost like it has rear suspension in comparison to my N9. I dig the new geo on the 2017 N9 so I'm hoping it rides smoother.

I ride a lot of rocky rooty New England single track, and the boost frame is smoother than the gen 2 frame. Part of that is due to the new tubing, and part of that is due to the new geometry. The Krampus is a completely different animal in comparison to a gen 2 frame. I don't think you are noticing the 20mm difference, but rather the tubing difference and the way the rear end is constructed. That said, the gen 2 bike should feel snappier and more playful. The new boost frame is a bit more planted than the gen 2 frame, but still playful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just moved up to a gen3 from gen2 with the same parts.

The gen 3 is lighter and has maybe a bit more flex. I find it bounces around a bit more vertically when your going quickly over gnar. I think its just because its lighter.

However, its got a lower bb and has longer reach - this makes it more stable when cornering so you feel like your in the bike more than the previous version. Its more stable when cornering and gets disturbed less by rocks etc and generally flows berms better.

Some details with the frame. You can fit some big tires so if your looking for smoothness, that may be the avenue. At least with me, I can fit a 150mm dropper easily whereas I used to be stuck with 125(havent done this yet tho). The steeper seat angle is nice for climbing and puts less stress on my back. Generally, I felt the gen2 xl was just a smidge small but the gen3 never gives me that feeling.

With the longer reach, i can run a stem 20 mm shorter (than gen 2) which when combined with the slacker head angle adds confidence and capability on steep descents.

One aesthetic touch - the gen 2 has the hydroformed triangular top tube that got replaced by a straight tube. That gen 2 tt triangle was flat out glorious - no other bike has that. The gen 3 round tt is quite pedestrian in comparison. I imagine they lost a lot of the weight here since I dont think you can form a butted tube like that. The top of the bike is a good place to loose weight.

Awesome, thanks dubthang! Any other folks out there have an opinion on ride quality particularly when standing for descents on rocky, rooty terrain?

I am comparing my gen2 N9 with a Legacy Krampus (built up in 29er mode right now not 29+). Besides the smaller diameter tubing, I suspect the 20mm longer chain stays on the Krampus help make it feel almost like it has rear suspension in comparison to my N9. I dig the new geo on the 2017 N9 so I'm hoping it rides smoother.

Ride On
    Thanks drdre!

I guess my N9 would be considered a gen1 I thought they had made a small change in between the original black model but perhaps not. Mine has the seat stays that come to a point just in front of the seat tube. Re tires thats great I currently run 2.5 DHF and suspect I'll continue with these. I would be installing a -2ļ headset and drop the fork to 120mm. This would get the geo more in line with modern all mountain hard tails which for some reason remain in the realm of the Europeans... The only other issue I have with the geo is the very high stack I'll have to see how that works out.

I can't seem to find a weight on this frame anyone weigh it?
    Michael

Ride on!

Gigantic Hawk
    Thanks drdre!

I guess my N9 would be considered a gen1 I thought they had made a small change in between the original black model but perhaps not. Mine has the seat stays that come to a point just in front of the seat tube. Re tires thats great I currently run 2.5 DHF and suspect I'll continue with these. I would be installing a -2ļ headset and drop the fork to 120mm. This would get the geo more in line with modern all mountain hard tails which for some reason remain in the realm of the Europeans... The only other issue I have with the geo is the very high stack I'll have to see how that works out.

This is my old gen 1 frame. Is this what you have?

-278490_2302210673608_325889_o.jpg

Here is my gen 2 for comparison. I was never a fan of the diamond shaped top tube as it would bruise the inside of my leg.

-14595688_10210835565784080_7222823094636674378_n.jpg

The new boost frame is different from the gen 3 too, I believe, because the reach has been lengthened, and the seat tube shortened. My boost frame.

-img_20170703_114219560_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    gen 1? I had gen 2 and went to 3. I just discovered canfield 7 years ago or so.

I'd skip the angleset and the short fork. Just go with 140mm. Even if you live near tame trails, you'll get used to it and wont look back. dvo is 600$ on jensen!

Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    This is my old gen 1 frame. Is this what you have?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	278490_2302210673608_325889_o.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1170982

Here is my gen 2 for comparison. I was never a fan of the diamond shaped top tube as it would bruise the inside of my leg.

Name:	14595688_10210835565784080_7222823094636674378_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	1170983

The new boost frame is different from the gen 3 too, I believe, because the reach has been lengthened, and the seat tube shortened. My boost frame.

Name:	IMG_20170703_114219560_HDR.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	1170984

mtbr member
    Thanks drdre!

I have a new chrome n9 to build waiting on all the parts to come in and wheels get built. It weighs 5.75 lbs but Ass naked

Ride On

Thanks folks!

I have the gen1 then, the latest boost frame does seem much more forgiving just based on appearances.

Re fork I prefer a shorter fork on a hard tail keeps the bikes geo within a narrower range of change. I ride advanced chunky terrain (I live on Vancouver Island) but I'm good with 120 on a 29er HT with nice chunky rubber as long as the geo is on point. In this way being small and light weight works for me I just typically need to alter (usually North American designed) bikes to suit my preference; part of which is not directly linking the amount of travel with specific geo necessarily as the industry tends to do here.
    Last edited by geraldooka; 12-06-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This frame has been in and out of my cart numerous times in recent weeks.

Any chance you can snap a couple pics??

Also curious - why this frame for you? what kind of trails do you ride? which wheel size will you run (29 or b+?)

thanks much in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    I have a new chrome n9 to build waiting on all the parts to come in and wheels get built. It weighs 5.75 lbs but Ass naked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    This frame has been in and out of my cart numerous times in recent weeks.

Any chance you can snap a couple pics??

Also curious - why this frame for you? what kind of trails do you ride? which wheel size will you run (29 or b+?)

thanks much in advance!

Iím in Indiana and ride all over the state mainly to the south brown county Kentucky Tennessee North Carolina Iíve also got a epo balance and riot I got this because I miss having a single speed. I love the bros geo and when they made it in chrome again I couldnít resist anymore. I irk Rocky rooty Trails the best but also enjoy foe Trails from time to time.

Gigantic Hawk
    Thanks folks!

I have the gen1 then, the latest boost frame does seem much more forgiving just based on appearances.

Re fork I prefer a shorter fork on a hard tail keeps the bikes geo within a narrower range of change. I ride advanced chunky terrain (I live on Vancouver Island) but I'm good with 120 on a 29er HT with nice chunky rubber as long as the geo is on point. In this way being small and light weight works for me I just typically need to alter (usually North American designed) bikes to suit my preference; part of which is not directly linking the amount of travel with specific geo necessarily as the industry tends to do here.
    Something to keep in mind if you continue to use your gen 1 frame is that it is prone to head tube cracking. Make sure you keep an eye on the area where the head and down tube meet. Many of us have had cracks develop. That is how I ended up with my gen 2 frame.

Ride On
    Thanks for your help folks, I decided to pull the trigger and take advantage of the sale. I've got a Canfield Blue medium heading my way. Build won't be anything splashy just moving existing parts over to it.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cool and thanks for the info R-guy! That Chrome frame is a work of art! Cant wait to see her built up. 29? B+?

mtbr member
    Cool and thanks for the info R-guy! That Chrome frame is a work of art! Cant wait to see her built up. 29? B+?
    Going b+ with 2.8s
    Hereís a few of the parts for it. The rest is a mrp ribbon fork bros polished post clamp silver i9s laced to baron rims black and silver spokes and ks dropper and bros. Cranks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    now thats just downright bragidocious and jealousy inspiring behavior right there! Gosh darn it all! I hear my wallet about to crack open!!

NICE parts kit you are compiling - love the Chromag. Those frames are my other prime contender...

Ride On
    Whoa! Silver Surfer!!! Nice.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Whoa! Silver Surfer!!! Nice.
    Couldnít decide on a color to build with. I have red and black on my epo blue on my riot purple on my balance so I got inspired by my 80s bmx days and went with as much shiny polished or silver as possible

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just completed my swap from a chrome '14 N9 singlespeed with 29" wheels to a chrome '17 N9 Boost 1x11 with 27.5+. The plan is to keep the Plus / geared setup until spring and then go back to 29" and SS. Unless it's too fun to switch back... We'll see.

Hoping to get out on it tomorrow for a shakedown ride.

-2017-nimble-9-boost.jpg

Ride On
    Nice work, I love shakedown rides. Have fun.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    CHROME for the win!!!

mtbr member
    totally! I've been thinking about the Nimble 9 for a couple years now after loving the Riot. When Chrome came back it was REALLY pulling at me. I just pulled the trigger yesterday. I figure I love bikes too much to go through life without owning a steel hard tail. Especially this one. So stoked...

mtbr member
    Iíll be building mine up soon just waiting on my fork cranks and seat post clamp

Ride On

I ordered over a week ago and haven't heard anything yet! Killin me...

Though, glad they are busy.

Last edited by geraldooka; 12-17-2017 at 01:45 AM.
    Michael

Ride on!

Ride On
    Boom. So it begins... again. Hoping this N9 is a winner.
    -20171219_174051837_ios.jpg
    Michael

Ride on!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Thank you
    It does rail the turns. It also crushes the steep punchy climbs. Absolutely no wheel flop. None. My fork is at 140mm and I love it.

Wow. That build is exactly what I'd like to do with one. Sweet.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Wow. That build is exactly what I'd like to do with one. Sweet.
    Get on with it. This bike will make you smile ear to ear every ride

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Get on with it. This bike will make you smile ear to ear every ride

Tempting. I have to see if they still have 142x12 dropouts available. I just noticed the wheels I'd plan on swapping over are the same as yours as well. I need to check my parts bin to see if I can justify this for myself. I know I have extra cranks, saddle and a 50mm stem, not sure if I have an extra handlebar in a good width. I think I'll just need a headset, grips, rear brake, and dropper otherwise, and I'd just swap my MRP Stage and front brake back and forth from my Ripley for now until that's too much of a PIA. It will be my first singlespeed. Oh, and I'll also need a Zinger XD SS kit. All my wheels are XD. I guess I'll email them about the dropouts.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member

Last I heard they donít have any 142 dropouts left. If you have my same wheels you can get a boostinator kit from wolf tooth for DT Swiss. Although that wonít work if you are stealing the wheels from your non boost Ripley. I once had a Ripley LS, awesome bike
    I remember your username from the Ibis forums

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Last I heard they donít have any 142 dropouts left. If you have my same wheels you can get a boostinator kit from wolf tooth for DT Swiss. Although that wonít work if you are stealing the wheels from your non boost Ripley. I once had a Ripley LS, awesome bike
    I remember your username from the Ibis forums

Yeah, I would want to just be able to swap the wheels back and forth.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    funny you bring this up as I'm in the same boat with the 142 wheel set, but I'm picking these up right now... simple fix---

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Ada...pid=1253495215

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    funny you bring this up as I'm in the same boat with the 142 wheel set, but I'm picking these up right now... simple fix---

That's basically what I did same concept different brand, given I run a small chainring I shouldn't run into clearance issues with the existing crank set I have.

Michael

Ride on!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I'm pretty sure you'll have to re-dish your wheels to use them in a boost frame. So that's mean I'd have to re-dish my wheel every time I swapped them, so maybe 2 or 3 times a week. That's not going to work for me.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Also, if you have DT Swiss wheels (or other compatible hubs) this kit will work a lot better than the generic kit as you won't be having to try to hold the loose spacers as you slide the axle in. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/boostinator

Still, even without the re-dish, having to uninstall and reinstall this kit with six bolts every time I swapped wheels would get old really quick. Being able to just simply swap the wheels with no tweaking required whatsoever seems like a much more viable solution for me. If I had to do this all the time, I would probably just never end up riding one of the bikes.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Ride On
    I'm pretty sure you'll have to re-dish your wheels to use them in a boost frame. So that's mean I'd have to re-dish my wheel every time I swapped them, so maybe 2 or 3 times a week. That's not going to work for me.
    Not with the solution linked to. Hub center is maintained.

Michael

Ride on!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not with the solution linked to. Hub center is maintained.

I saw they don't mention the need to re-dish (they also don't say that you don't need to), but I'd check into it closer. If hub center is maintained, then the cassette won't be in the right spot. I guess not the biggest deal for singlespeed, since you can space the cog where you need it, but could be an issue for gear users if it puts the cassette outside the range of your limit screws. It's got to be one or the other, either the hub center is maintained, or the cassette is moved outboard to be in the right spot. You can't have both.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This might be an all around better option...
    https://www.mrpbike.com/better-boost-adapter-kits/

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This might be an all around better option...
    https://www.mrpbike.com/better-boost-adapter-kits/
    It's a great option, but it's front wheel only and I wouldn't be buying a boost fork.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Ride On
    I saw they don't mention the need to re-dish (they also don't say that you don't need to), but I'd check into it closer. If hub center is maintained, then the cassette won't be in the right spot. I guess not the biggest deal for singlespeed, since you can space the cog where you need it, but could be an issue for gear users if it puts the cassette outside the range of your limit screws. It's got to be one or the other, either the hub center is maintained, or the cassette is moved outboard to be in the right spot. You can't have both.
    If hub center is maintained and you are using a non boost crank/chainring the only issues are:

1. You want to run a chainring larger than will fit - due to the chainstays being wider to accommodate boost.
    2. The derailleur needs to accommodate the 3mm difference (inboard) - which should not be a problem for most mountain bike derailleurs (I can confirm this is not an issue for my XT, SLX and Deore units)

The cassette will be in the exact same spot (with the linked solution) as if it were a 142 assuming you are running a non boost crank/chainring and the above issues are not a problem you are golden.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's a great option, but it's front wheel only and I wouldn't be buying a boost fork.
    DOH - i thought their kit was frt/rr... sorry

mtbr member

Started putting my nimble together this weekend. Just waiting on my cranks and fork to get here then I can finish them

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    gonna be killer - how big a rear tire is that? im guessing 2.8... room for a full/good size 3?

mtbr member
    gonna be killer - how big a rear tire is that? im guessing 2.8... room for a full/good size 3?
    Itís a 2.8 rekon on a stans Barron rim. I didnít want a full 3.0 and I prefer a more rounded profile for cornering. I havenít played with the sliders much yet since Iím waiting on my fork and cranks.

mtbr member
    Chris mentioned shaking some solution through the CHROME frame to prevent corrosion... does anybody know what?

mtbr member
    Chris mentioned shaking some solution through the CHROME frame to prevent corrosion... does anybody know what?
    Frame saver. I treated my frame with frame saver. With the it being chrome is not able to get the treatment before itís dipped unlike painted frames that get treated before they are painted

mtbr member
    Thanks! Was just reading up on it and found this from Surly...Boiled Linseed oil is another option and less toxic---

"Itís a really good idea to coat the insides of the tubes with some kind of protectant. This is best done, obviously, when the frame is still naked, without any components installed. After the initial frame prep, get yourself some JP Weigle Frame Saver or motor fogging oil or boiled linseed oil. Any of these are a kind of sticky oil that coat the insides of the tubes and prevent rust from starting. Frame Saver is a bit toxic, as it comes in an aerosol can, but it has a spray nozzle that lets you easily get into the nooks and crannies on your frame and comes with complete instructions".*

Getting anxious to build this up just to let it sit throughout the winter as we just got hit with a bunch of snow. I'll drink some beer, stare at it, and dream...

mtbr member
    For those of you building with 27x2.8 wheels/tires, can you tell us what height your bottom bracket is coming out at? Thanks in advance.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm eying one of these for a SS 27.5+ build. What size would you all recommend for 6'0" with long torso/short legs? I don't like to be too stretched out. Not sure if I might enjoy a M more than a L.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFattie View Post
    I'm eying one of these for a SS 27.5+ build. What size would you all recommend for 6'0" with long torso/short legs? I don't like to be too stretched out. Not sure if I might enjoy a M more than a L.
    Iím 5í8 and I ride a large epo riot and balance and Iím building a chrome large nimble myself as a + single speed. I would go any smaller then a large would be to cramped.

Ride On
    Arrrgh... Pains me to have to wait to get the rear wheel built up for this... Turns out my rear hub can't be converted to 142 so new boost hub on the way...
    -20180105_210251147_ios.jpg
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Wow, that blue looks killer!! The kit with the 3mm spacers (link above) works great.

mtbr member

Last of my Parts showed up so I can start putting my newest bros bike to add to my quiver

mtbr member
    Now that's inspiration! My 2018 arrived yesterday...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -n9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    -n9.jpg

Now that's inspiration! My 2018 arrived yesterday...
    Awesome!! Building mine up now

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    looks like an air and not a coil Ribbon? Cant wait to see your final build!

mtbr member
    Hey, Raleighguy, did you face and chase your BB or let it ride?

Ride On
    Wow, that blue looks killer!! The kit with the 3mm spacers (link above) works great.
    Blue is sweet. Ya I bought the spacer kit thinking I had caps for the rear hub to go 142; turns out they were for the front. The rear is permanent QR...
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Hey, Raleighguy, did you face and chase your BB or let it ride?
    I let it ride. Threaded in no hang ups. Make sure you shoot your frame with frame saver since itís chrome. They donít get the treatment before hand like the painted frames

mtbr member
    looks like an air and not a coil Ribbon? Cant wait to see your final build!
    Yes itís a air ribbon. And when itís done Iíll post pics

mtbr member

Well I built her today. Man did she turn out great. Only thing Iím waiting on to make it officially done is a small part for my dropper so I can put it on.

Hereís the build.
    Polished aluminum chromag fubars 35mm rise
    Chromag polished stem
    Chromag polished stem spacers
    Bros polished seat post clamp
    Bros cranks 170
    Trp slate g spec brakes
    Silver i9s laced to stans Barron rims black/silver spokes oury grips
    2.8 Maxxis reckon tires
    Most importantly itís single speed
    Silver Chris king head set
    150 mm mrp ribbon fork

mtbr member

Well I built her today. Man did she turn out great. Only thing Iím waiting on to make it officially done is a small part for my dropper so I can put it on.

Hereís the build.
    Polished aluminum chromag fubars 35mm rise
    Chromag polished stem
    Chromag polished stem spacers
    Bros polished seat post clamp
    Bros cranks 170
    Trp slate g spec brakes
    Silver i9s laced to stans Barron rims black/silver spokes oury grips
    2.8 Maxxis reckon tires
    Most importantly itís single speed
    Silver Chris king head set
    150 mm mrp ribbon fork

Sheís reallll purdy!!! Single Speed for the win! Loving my N9 in SS form.

mtbr member
    Cool. I threaded an old BB in to have a look, and everything seems nice and even. I plan to hit the frame with frame saver. The new chromes are supposed to have the factory treatment, but it doesn't really look like it. I had asked Sean at CanBros if I needed to treat the inside of the frame, and he replied "You should be alright without it." But better safe than sorry...

mtbr member
    Cool. I threaded an old BB in to have a look, and everything seems nice and even. I plan to hit the frame with frame saver. The new chromes are supposed to have the factory treatment, but it doesn't really look like it. I had asked Sean at CanBros if I needed to treat the inside of the frame, and he replied "You should be alright without it." But better safe than sorry...
    I went ahead and did mine to be safe

mtbr member
    BTW, beautiful build!

mtbr member
    BTW, beautiful build!
    Thanks man. Iím real happy with how it turned out. I was going for the old school bmx look. I use to ride bmx as a kid

Ride On

[/QUOTE]Well I built her today. Man did she turn out great. Only thing Iím waiting on to make it officially done is a small part for my dropper so I can put it on.
    [/QUOTE]

Looks great, nice ride
    Michael

Ride on!

Upcyclist
    Looks awesome, Raleighguy! Just needs a silver dropper!

I've been wanting a chrome N9 for quite a long time. I found a Yelli for a great price locally a few years ago and been riding that, maybe it's time to make it happen. I'm tempted to get the frame and slowly acquire parts for it. Think I'd like to try 29" semi-plus, 2.6 (Rekon?) in the back and a 2.8 DHF up front on 30-35i rims. SS at first to keep costs down and ride it sooner!!!
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That Chrome build is "cherry" to use an old guy term - but the blue "bass boat metal flake" lands right in my old guy wheelhouse as well and its a shade of blue that sings to me...

nice work fellas !

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Anyone try a 2.6 rekon yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenaiking View Post
    Anyone try a 2.6 rekon yet?
    Ive got that on the back of my balance for pedal days and Iíve been happy with it so far

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anyone have a picture of the clearance on the near with a 27.5x2.8? Any thoughts on putting a 3.0 on the rear? Enough clearance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ive got that on the back of my balance for pedal days and Iíve been happy with it so far

Thanks s bunch. Was hoping someone had tried one in the N9 for fit.

mtbr member
    Thanks s bunch. Was hoping someone had tried one in the N9 for fit.
    Iíve got 2.8 reckons on my n9 and with tha stays slammed thereís plenty of room

Upcyclist
    Iíve got 2.8 reckons on my n9 and with tha stays slammed thereís plenty of room

2.75 or 29? If a 29x2.8 would fit in back I could run a 3.0 in the right fork and have a 29+ N9!!!

*Edit: I just realized it was you with the 27.5+ up above, so never mind.
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    2.75 or 29? If a 29x2.8 would fit in back I could run a 3.0 in the right fork and have a 29+ N9!!!

*Edit: I just realized it was you with the 27.5+ up above, so never mind.
    I don't think they make a 2.8 rekon in 29. I should have specified I was looking to run the 29x2.6 Rekon front and rear.

Upcyclist
    I don't think they make a 2.8 rekon in 29. I should have specified I was looking to run the 29x2.6 Rekon front and rear.
    Good point! I'm guessing a 2.6 would fit based on the measurements provided here: Rekon 29 X 2.6... is coming.

The Rekon isn't that much wider than a 2.4 or 2.5, it measures 2.5/8" as shown in matt.s67's pic that you can't see.
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Good point! I'm guessing a 2.6 would fit based on the measurements provided here: Rekon 29 X 2.6... is coming.

The Rekon isn't that much wider than a 2.4 or 2.5, it measures 2.5/8" as shown in matt.s67's pic that you can't see.
    Sweet thanks! Going to give them a try on my SS N9. Should be a ton of fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice! The N9 is at the top of my list for my hardtail+ build this winter. I may try to squeeze in some Nobby Nic 3.0's on my i38's.

Ride On

Couldn't wait. Still needs 29er wheels and a proper length dropper hose! But she needed to get dirty so I slapped the 27.5 wheels on her. Running at 120 with a neg 2į headset. She climbs like a beast and goes down like... Sweet.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I remember seeing an N9 posted around here that was 29+. If I remember right, it had 3.0ís as well.

Iím running B+ with 2.8ís on 35mm Arcís with a 130mm DVO. Been thinking of getting a 29+ for the front and run it with a rigid fork.

MTB B'dos
    That's such an awesome setup, been running it on my '08 rigid Monkey, B+ rear/29+ front since early 2016. Actual setup now is 650Bx2.8" Rekon rear/29x3.0" DHF front, crazy grip and fun

Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Iím running B+ with 2.8ís on 35mm Arcís with a 130mm DVO. Been thinking of getting a 29+ for the front and run it with a rigid fork.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Hope

Parts are rolling in for my rigid SS build. Stoked!

Thus far, here's the build:
    Chrome frame
    155m Canfield cranks/BB - as an experiment.
    Chiner carbon 29+ fork - 505 AC - hope it doesn't snap! (1/5 price of Niner with better A-C)
    Chiner carbon HR740C hoops, 650b with 34mm internal; rear is DH makeup and front is AM.
    Paul Components polished boost hubs.
    Hope headset.
    Crankbrothers 160mm highline dropper.
    XT M8000 brakes.
    Syntace Megaforce 30mm stem.
    Box Components seat collar.
    Kona Wah Wah composite pedals

Still need to choose spokes (DT Comp vs CX-rays), freewheel (Profile vs Box), handlebar, tires (Nobby Nics 2.8?).

Obligatory - I'm way over budget - f*** it!

Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Duro Miner or Crux
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    You guys running SS, have you had any problems with the dropouts sliding?
    I currently ride one of the new karate monkey's with a 140 fork but have been wanting a N9 for a while, considering pulling the trigger on it since the seat tube on the karate monkey got pretty slack with the 140.
    Also i would be jumping and beating the crap out this frame, any durability issues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelcaro View Post
    You guys running SS, have you had any problems with the dropouts sliding?
    I currently ride one of the new karate monkey's with a 140 fork but have been wanting a N9 for a while, considering pulling the trigger on it since the seat tube on the karate monkey got pretty slack with the 140.
    Also i would be jumping and beating the crap out this frame, any durability issues?
    Drop outs are solid no issues. And are you kidding me itís a Canfield itís ment to be jumped and have the crap beat out of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    On my 5th N9, and never had dropouts move. Run it SS and donít even use the limiting screws.

mtbr member
    Thank you

ALL of this is spot on!!

140 fork here too. I wasn't expecting the bike to shine so much descending but that might be the highlight of this killer rig.

Really dig the Chrome...

Sucker for the 80's

It's an incredible looking bike in person as well.

mtbr member
    ALL of this is spot on!!

140 fork here too. I wasn't expecting the bike to shine so much descending but that might be the highlight of this killer rig.

Really dig the Chrome...

Sucker for the 80's

It's an incredible looking bike in person as well.
    Itís really is an incredible bike. Glad to hear you are digging yours. 🤙

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Finally pulled the trigger

Here's my build
    -img_0814.jpg

Ride On
    Here's my build

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	1181562
    Nice.

Michael

Ride on!

Ride On
    Attachment 1182356

Medium
    -2ļ Angleset
    120mm Forks (44mm offset)

HTA 65.4
    STA 74
    CS 413
    BB Height 313
    WB 1160
    Reach 438
    Stack 650

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Attachment 1182356

Medium
    -2ļ Angleset
    120mm Forks (44mm offset)

HTA 65.4
    STA 74
    CS 413
    BB Height 313
    WB 1160
    Reach 438
    Stack 650

Nice, what kind of ergon grips are those?

Ride On
    Nice, what kind of ergon grips are those?
    Thanks, actually they are ESI grips just Ergon end caps from another set. I really dig the Ergon GS1 grips but find them less awesome for really technical riding.
    Michael

Ride on!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast