mtbr member
    May 2008

New Yelli in New England

Completed about 2 months ago, ridden excessively (and obsessively?) since then, I give you Yelli Screamy O.K. I have to say, after much searching and endless tweaking on my other bikes, I have found my weapon of choice. Terrain is New England, CT and RI with trails and a fair amount of backcountry. If it wasn't from Utah, I would have sworn the development work happened here. Excellent in the tight woods, easy to rail, responsive and very capable in techy stuff. I usually do 3 to 4 hour rides on trails that are nothing but rocks and roots, and I swear that I'm more comfortable / less beat up on this than my Yeti ASR Alloy. This thing is in the 25 lb range give or take, and has some bulletproof overkill parts on it to handle the back country and stave off the inevitable carnage that is riding in New England.

Build is as follows:
    Fox Talas 29
    Flows on Kings, Nevegal front, Slant Six rear
    Saint drivetrain with stinger chain guide
    XT 785 brakes - awesome so far, and stupid easy maintenance
    Bars, Stem, Post: Race Face turbine
    Formula MTR saddle

Let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Yelli in New England-ys-front.jpg  

New Yelli in New England-ys-side.jpg  

New Yelli in New England-img_2194.jpg  

1 Bike Shy of a Full Quiver

mtbr member
    Build looks good but are you able to rotate that Stinger upward to tension the chain a bit more or no?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I could rotate it counter-clockwise a bit more, but there is a limit where it would start to hit the chainstay. I'm pretty new to chain guides, and went pretty much by the book on install instructions from Blackspire; they listed to try to install it between 7 and 8 o'clock. So far it's working, but if there is any advice on best way to set these things up, please send it on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very nice...what size frame do you have?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Medium. Was a little hesitant at first since I have a long inseam, but the overall reach has been great. A large would have been too long for me. Plus, the SO clearance has come in handy as well.

Dinner for wolves
    My Yelli cut its teeth in RI at Big River and Arcadia. Then my in-laws moved to PA. I miss those trails. I agree, the Yelli was very much at home there (but also here in PA). Congrats on the build.
    Last edited by buddhak; 11-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    worst part about my Yelli so far is knowing that its sitting in the bike shop... maybe, shop ordered the frame on monday... and it'll be done soon but its almost Friday so will I get it by this weekend? or will I have to miss work next week to break it out in Sedona?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks! I may have built it a little on the stout side for coastal New England, but so far so good. The "problem" now is that I'm going significantly faster and have had to recalibrate reaction time, etc. The other night I was blasting down a trail in Arcadia (yellow dot on the south side) and took a pretty nasty digger - just a little too fast, bars to wide and trees to tight. Small price to pay though, that is for sure!

Hey, how is the MTB in PA? Pretty similar to New England or significantly different? I was thinking about doing that 2 day endurance race down there sometime.

mtbr member
    I like the blue bits. Is that a silver ano? Looks sorta gold in the pics.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, probably not the best light. That is gold ano.

mtbr member
    How do you like the Yelli? Would you recommend it for tight technical riding with lots of steps up and down, rocky, some loose, 1-2" wheelie drops etc.? I ride in Austin TX.
    Edit: Sort of a stupid question now that I re-read your intro...
    Last edited by Asmodeus2112; 12-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, it's not such a bad question since I've now gotten more time on it since I started this thread. It sounds like we have similar terrain in terms of tightness, etc.; New England is pretty tight, twisty, tons of rock gardens, roots, drops, punchy up and down, but no real epic climbs and descents. Bottom line, it's pretty much all technical riding here. Let's put it this way, I am coming off of a Yeti ASR Alloy 100 mm XC race bike, no slouch, and I had the front and rear PUSH tuned so it was about as dialed as I could get it. I also rode a rigid Haro Mary as my segue to 29" riding. I rode more technical stuff with the Mary, I ride even more with the Yelli; the Yelli is nearly unstoppable once you learn when to trust it and get your style re-dialed. That Yelli is a weapon for technical riding I tell ya'; it certainly is more than a HT DH bike. The stiffness of the front end has been eye-opening through the rock gardens (coming from 1 1/8 HT for the other bikes and 9QR front wheels), and the slack head angle really makes a huge difference in what you're willing to ride over and what line to take down. The balance of the bike is stupid good; I can be almost at a dead stop, and make nearly 90 degree turns. I have to say that it took me a while to really get the most out of the bike, but once you do it is amazing and crazy fun. This bike likes body english and low center of gravity riding - I like to lower the seat about an inch and a half and really get into the crouch position and just counter-steer or lean to get through tight terrain and let those wheels rail. Let me end this gush-fest by what might be the strongest testament: I am a better technical rider because of this bike, and I now consider lines that I never would have before; in fact, I feel that I have a ton more growth on gnarliness of lines yet to go before I reach the limit on this bike. I could not be happier. The fact that the frame is reasonable is another plus.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the detail. Terrain around here makes you work for every foot, this does sound like a great bike for the deal. I just purchased the fork, so I'm on my way!

ZEN RIDER!
    I've been contemplating a Yelli for a while now. I am looking for a hard tail for the days I want to get a good single track burn in. I have a Firebird that for 90% of my riding is an amazing bike, but for all out hammer rides its not the optimal choice.
    Looking for a capable xc/trail bike for riding CT trails. Pure xc rigs in CT only go up hill well & i do like going thru stuff instead of around.
    So i guess my question is how does the yelli climb?
    Not sure if i should be looking at the the Nimble or not, seems more like a pure xc machine.\
    thanks
    E
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i too would be interested hearing how this beast climbs
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

The White Jeff W
    We have a lot of steep climbs here. (Western PA) I have a 140mm fork on mine and have no issues getting it up the hills. Just weight the front end & spin. You would think the combo of short chainstays & long fork would make it a wheelie machine but it's really not.

Here's a short video of me grinding it up a tough climb. I go over a 8" step up as I pass the camera

No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My yelli climbs extremely well. I've been riding mine for about a month now in Arizona and haven't had any issues with the front end coming up on me. The only adjustment I've made is switching to a 1x9 (no more granny gear for climbing) with a 32t up front so I find myself standing and cranking out the hills alot more. So more then anything I've been working on keeping my weight centered to keep the rear tire from spinning.
    I also have a 140mm fork on mine.

Dinner for wolves
    Standing climbing is where the YS excels. With those short CS, a little weight shifting and the rear tire just grabs handfuls of turf. If anyone is listening, the YS with an ENO eccentric rear wheel is a SS29er wet dream.
    Responds to gravity

mdc
    mtbr member
    1.) Awesome build and great looking bike.
    2.) Were you at the Lincoln Woods Fun ride about 2 weeks back? I swear I saw that bike
    3.) Put a dropper post on it! I built up a Banshee Paradox with a RS Reverb and the bike RAILS. I'm usually pretty cheap and not quick to buy the newest hyped mtb stuff- but dropper posts on slack, short chainstay 29er= awesome.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Very nice ride. I am in central CT and I have been thinking about replacing my SC Chameleon with a Yelli. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it around here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Standing climbing is where the YS excels. With those short CS, a little weight shifting and the rear tire just grabs handfuls of turf. If anyone is listening, the YS with an ENO eccentric rear wheel is a SS29er wet dream.
    Does the eno hub require an adjustable brake mount too?