Thread: New Yelli

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

New Yelli

Wow, just built this bike up and have a short 8.5 mile ride on it through a lot of different terrain. It is so much fun. I originally purchased as a stopgap as I'm waiting on an Intense Spider 29 but I love this bike. It is extremely flickable, kills rocky terrain and is very quick through single track. I was going to switch most of the parts over but now I'm not sure what to do....do I need both the Intense and Yelli? This bike was a shocker....I read the positive reviews but never expected it to be so nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Yelli-dscn1911.jpg  

local trails rider
    Of course you don't NEED both the YS and the Spider. The real question is: do you WANT them both.

If they seem too similar, make them more different. Put a rigid fork and a singlespeed drivetrain on one or the other ... or something

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Canfield Brothers
    Congrats Brian,

Your Yelli looks SICK!!! Glad you are enjoying it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice what size did you get? I am 5'11 trying to decide on medium or Large
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I got the Large

I'm very close in height to you but just a tad taller. I like the fit a lot and I typically ride large sized bikes.

mtbr member
    Nice build! I'm in the process of building almost an exact twin to your Yelli. I have a few questions abould the bulid kit you used:

I see your using a 2 x 10, what gears do you have up front and down back? Clearance with the front derailleur looks tight, did you have to cut or modify it in anyway to make it fit? How many spacers did you use on the BB? What lenght is the rear derailleur cage?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nice Brian ! That whip looks mean ! I love the YS. There is nothing this bike CANNOT do !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by gulljammer View Post
    Nice build! I'm in the process of building almost an exact twin to your Yelli. I have a few questions abould the bulid kit you used:

I see your using a 2 x 10, what gears do you have up front and down back? Clearance with the front derailleur looks tight, did you have to cut or modify it in anyway to make it fit? How many spacers did you use on the BB? What lenght is the rear derailleur cage?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    26 x 39 up front with 11/36 in rear. I didn't have to cut, file or modify anything. It actually all went together very nicely except the XTR brakes. The new ones don't come with rotors or adaptors.....had to adjust afterwards. As for the BB and spacing - I originally didn't use any spacers and all was fine but the outer ring was damn close, I'm talking mm's, to the chainstay so I added one spacer. It didn't help much but it never touches....I have 2 rides on the bike now....all good. Medium length rear derailleur. On a side note - this bike is sick!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    sweet ride.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I want that bike!! lol
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy
    iDream Images

BMF
    Oct 2007
    how easy/hard is it to manual that thing? You mention it's flickable - is that compared to other 29ers or just in general? I was looking at 26" bikes for an upcoming build, or possibly a 69er to keep the rear end tight and make it easy to kick up the front, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OP (Brian) sold his Yelli frame to me. I have been so busy I have not even built up the frame yet.

But you can tell a lot from just holding the frame and twisting/torquing it around. Aside from the added weight & high spinning moment of interia of a 29er tire the frame is gonna handle a lot like a 26er... that's my expectation anyhow. When I do eventually get the frame all built up I'll post pics as the 'second incarnation' of this Yelli frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Cool bike! Can you tell me exactly what your entire drivetrain is? I want to build up a similar bike and I definitely want to go 2x10. If you know something that works flawlessly I'll just replicate your build.

Thanks!