Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Huffy Rider

New to the Canfield family

Hi everyone, I just bought my first "big" bike and was hoping for some advice on building her up. She is Wiggle, the Can-Diggle (S) and the rear shock is a CCDB. This is what I have to start with. I will be using her for steep, rocky, some drops, technical, turny (sometimes fast) downhills....and I like to jump. (not big, yet!) I plan to mostly shuttle or ride a lift but being able to pedal occasionally is a plus. I have 20 yrs of dirt bike riding experience on trails, and 1.5 yrs on MTB's. My current ride is a 6inch, lightweight Giant Reign. I live in N. AZ so I ride Sedona, Flagstaff, and Phx. Traveling to Bootleg and Angle Fire are most likely in my future. I am old and weigh 143 w/out gear. Here is a pic to break up this long post.

Here is where I need help:

1. Fork....I want a single crown 180 coil.....but I am open to change if this is not the best option for me. I want a fork that is active under braking and has minimal brake dive....Used or NOS is ok as I am not wealthy. (1.5 steerer as I don't need an angleset)

2. Crankset....I need 165mm arms, want to go 1x9, need some kind of bash guard (lots of logs, not to mention rocks). Not sure about wether to go chainguide/taco bash or bashwich. I can go used or NOS here as well.

3. Brakes....4 piston or 2 piston? I ride 2 piston with 180 rotors on metallic pads right now, and feel like I want a little more for the really scary stuff. (or maybe I just need to go faster?)

I know many of you out there have a ton of experience with these bikes and different set-ups, and I would love to hear anything you have to say about my build. Please ask questions if you need more info. I will X-post in DH/FR as well. Thanks in advance.

Brenda

7MGTE
    Very nice Brenda! I like the purple

mtbr member
    1: I'd go with a totem, be aware that straight 1.5 forks are getting rare. Not that it matters... 36-180 and marz 66 are the other options. I've been really happy with performance, ease or service and tuning options on rock shox products. I think Marz products across the board are a little pricy, considering they, as a company, are in a kind of "rebuilding trust" situation.

2: My favorite crank ever, SLX doesn't appear to come in 165. XT does. I'd just get a triple and whatever bash ring you like. IMO there's no need or point in looking anywhere but shimano for cranks. I like the bashwitch setup, but I'm sure there are merits to guides.

3: brakes are more than just the number of pots. I have Magura louise 203f, 180r on my One, unless you have really unusual needs, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I weigh considerably more than you (like 80 freaking pounds...) and never had a problem with power. Louise works, doesn't complain or require much maintenance, has the easiest and least messy bleed I've ever used (and even that's a once every 3-4 years kind of task), and are surprisingly moderately priced.

That Diggle looks beefy. I miss the oddball-colored links...

Huffy Rider
    Here is a little update on the build...I ordered my twisties, got wheels coming next week (flows) and pretty sure I am going to order some Codes by the weeks end. I am still up in the air about the fork. I am looking for any good deals, prefer new, but lightly used will do for the right bargain. I stripped the frame and cleaned all the threads and greased all the bearings, although they didn't really need it. One of the bearings in the headset is not perfect so I will look for a replacement, hopefully just the bearing. FSA Orbit E1.5

mtbr member
    1. I'm riding Marz's 66 ti. It's a great fork, love the qualities it offers. Its hard hitting, predictable, reliable and stiff. The only little set back you may encounter is that you may have to find a lighter spring for it. I'm 200lbs'ish and and don't use any air assist and maybe 3 clicks of pre-load for setup. Though on the other hand it's customizable and easily serviceable. Two of the best quality's for sure, especially if your into your own tuning/servicing.

2. I just got Middleburn's RS7 165mm crankset. I haven't ridden them yet but going from the reviews it should be pretty good. The best thing about it is that for a full on DH crankset with a $20 heavy BB it weighs just over 600g's, and (comparably) cheap! If you wanted to spend $100 + on a BB you'd get a DH crankset in the 500g's range. They are a spiderless crankset but with the option of a buying a spider if need be.

I've been riding XT's for years, completely reliable. I haven't checked but I think they come in 165mm..

3. I've been an Avid fan for a while but in the past two years I've been using Hope Tech 4's. Great modulation and adjustability. Very reliable and easy to bleed. Only problem I've found is that in my neck of the woods is the availability of pads are hard to come by. I've learned to keep extra.

The frame looks sharp! Looking forward to the complete build.

Huffy Rider
    1. Still looking for a good deal on a fork, found a new 2011 Totem solo air cheap, still not sure on the air thing....but at my weight and lack of actual experience, air might be just fine. The 66ti is top of my coil list.

2. I am going with the RS7's, 28t granny. I was gonna go spiderless, but the guy that makes them doesn't account for any offset, so it would be like running it on the 3rd most outer ring. Plus they are pretty.

3. I got a set of 2012 Codes for a STEAL! Pray they work, and bleed!!!

This is super fun, just wish I had all the money I need for it today!! More pics next week when cool stuff get delivered.

Brenda

Huffy Rider
    Hubby gave the green light to spend away and pay for it later! Plus I am selling a bunch of my vintage road stuff on ebay, it is making some good $$ so far. Here is where I am at today:

Huffy Rider
    So, 2.4 Trail Kings do NOT work in the rear, they are too tall. 2.2's do work, although they look tiny. Got the tires, rotors, cass, mounted...rear caliper mounted, shifter and grips are on the bars. Should have a stem and bearings tomorrow. I am getting super excited, I can hardly sleep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I can imagine you can hardly sleep! She's looking good, will there be full pictures tomorrow?

Huffy Rider
    There would have been......except I can't get a hold of my LBS to get my much needed stem! Such a small little part that seems to hold the WHOLE bike together....I am a little miffed, could have had the brakes cut and bled today, instead I stare at my incomplete naked beauty. I did manage to get the rear shock mounted, boy that was fun.

Huffy Rider
    OK, here is where I was at, right as the sun was going down.....Gettin' there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Good looking frame. If you don't already, your going to like those Trail Kings. They pack some good performance. I really like 'em, though I found that the side walls a little thin for me as a 200lb rider. The side walls blew out a lot quick than the tread.

Huffy Rider
    I've been riding the 2.2's on my trail bike, and they work great for AZ. I pick good lines and don't just "bomb" stuff, so I usually run out the tread first. Knock on wood, no sidewall probs for me yet.

I got the lines all trimmed, brakes bled and working so far, gonna cut the steer tube and get some much needed sleep! Pics tomorrow with my trail bike cranks on it. Any guesses on weight?

Huffy Rider

Those are borrowed cranks I jerry-rigged on the MRP guide. So far so good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    by "jerry-rigged on MRP guide" do you mean you intentionally did not route the chain over the roller on the bottom? Good to see new this built, I have just been lurking to date and watching the progress.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Very nice! What will be the final cranks?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Your build turned out great, Brenda!
    Can't wait to hear back on your ride reports.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    by "jerry-rigged on MRP guide" do you mean you intentionally did not route the chain over the roller on the bottom?
    I couldn't run it thru the roller cuz these cranks have a triple spider and the bolt tabs hit the guide...had to take it off for the time being. I also had to space it out to get it to sort of run in the "middle" ring position. I have about 3 useable gears. The final cranks will be black Middleburns 165, with a single 28t. Should be here Friday.

I got to do a solo first ride today. My hubby dropped me off at the top of the mountain behind our house, and then he picked me up at the bottom. I hit a small gap jump at the top, serious consequences if I failed! No biggie, bike just floated over it. It is more flickable and easy to jump then I would have thought. This was my first time ever on a "slack" bike. Hubby snapped a few pics of me at the bottom.....then we went to the movies.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Great pics. how's the ccdb feel?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Huffy Rider
    Super good right off the bat. I ordered a lighter spring, I will give that a try, since I was right on the edge of 2 sizes.

mtbr member
    Such a good looking bike, you must be stoked!

mtbr member
    Beautifully understated bike, love it!

mtbr member
    Love how it turned out, that's such a sweet bike. Congrats!

Huffy Rider
    I got in 5 runs yesterday, 3 techy ones and 2 fast ones. I made some ergo changes to the cockpit and that was a ton better. I put on the lighter spring which gave me the sag I needed, seemed to smooth things out a bit. I still need to fine tune everything to keep it planted inn the high speed rough. It wants to deflect a bit. On the last run of the day (techy) I put a nice ding in my rear rim and flatted. I thought the flat was cuz of the ding, but it was a big hole I didn't see and could have sealed up just fine if I was paying attention. I limped it down with my big air can. Time to buy a rim rench tool! I am going to hit Flagstaff later this week. I will post a pic with the new cranks in a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast