Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    mtbr member
    That is a seriously sick ride. That color almost makes me wish I had one instead of my yelli. Then I ride my yelli and forget all about colors
    2013 Kona Process

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Damn nice build! it's almost as good as mine except for all that cables you've got

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    orange headset, purple seat clamp and spokes, really? ;-)

mine tho is perhaps a bit plain, I prefer to think I'm letting the frame shine through
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_20140709_192704_nopm_.jpg  

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-canfield_logo.jpg  

mtbr member
    What is the fattest tire you can put out back?

mtbr member

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

Quote Originally Posted by TracksFromHell View Post
    What is the fattest tire you can put out back?
    I have a 2.4 in the back with a ton of room. Anything could fit back there imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    I have a 2.4 in the back with a ton of room. Anything could fit back there imho
    So, would a 2.5 fit there with 1/4 inch on each side?

What does the gap measure?

mtbr member

So, would a 2.5 fit there with 1/4 inch on each side?

What does the gap measure?
    There is prob a 1/2 on each side with a 2.4. I don't have the bike, it's sitting at the bike shop.

mtbr member

Re: The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

There is prob a 1/2 on each side with a 2.4. I don't have the bike, it's sitting at the bike shop.

Can I ask, what rim width and tire brand? Would a 2.5 Minion DHF fit on a wide (35mm) rim?

Does anyone know?

mtbr member

Can I ask, what rim width and tire brand? Would a 2.5 Minion DHF fit on a wide (35mm) rim?

Does anyone know?
    Charger pro wheels 27mm outer iirc. Tioga psycho genius venture.

mtbr member

Re: The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

Tioga psycho genius venture.
    Is that a tire?

mtbr member

Yeah. 2.4

mtbr member
    Yeah. 2.4

Sick looking tire. I thought the name was a joke. But wow, it looks awesome on their website.

squish, squish in da fish
    I have run a 2.5 dhf on a 45mm rim no probs with do's slammed forward

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For folks using the loaded seat post clamps: which diameter are you using on your 2014s?

Canfield Brothers
    29.8 to 30mm clamps will all work fine.

Edit: just looked on the Loaded site, no clamps in that size. They only offer 2 sizes in the nicest looking on.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member

Just snapped some neat pics of the bike in the morning dew.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about buying one of these, and was reading earlier in the thread about clearance issues with the brake mount. Has this been resolved? I see pictures with both chain stay and seat stay caliper positions. Is there a way to do either? Has clearance been improved for the chainstay mounted calipers?

I'd also like to know impressions of the ride quality and feel of the steel frame by anyone who has experience with steel bikes, especially high end tube sets. Does this frame have the resilience that good quality steel frames are known for? I'm a little concerned that Canfield gives no info on its tube set other than 4130, which could mean lots of things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'm thinking about buying one of these, and was reading earlier in the thread about clearance issues with the brake mount. Has this been resolved? I see pictures with both chain stay and seat stay caliper positions. Is there a way to do either? Has clearance been improved for the chainstay mounted calipers?

I'd also like to know impressions of the ride quality and feel of the steel frame by anyone who has experience with steel bikes, especially high end tube sets. Does this frame have the resilience that good quality steel frames are known for? I'm a little concerned that Canfield gives no info on its tube set other than 4130, which could mean lots of things.
    Dude, get a Jedi and come play at Trestle
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Dude, get a Jedi and come play at Trestle
    It's going to be a long long time before Trestle is an option again.
    I've never even tried a downhill bike. I think the first step would be to rent one. It's a pretty expensive once in a while toy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That was an issue with the 2013s, which are now sold out. The chainstay mount didn't work with certain calipers, so the mounting location was switched to the seatstay (easy to do as the mount is located on the removable sliding dropout). Later examples included both the chainstay and seatstay dropouts. 2014s only have the seatstay mount. If you want the chainstay mount, I believe the dropouts are interchangeable year-to-year (apparently you can buy the 2014 dropouts for the 2013 frame), but you'll have to give up the 142x12 axle and go QR-only. You'd also have to find someone to trade with or call up Canfield to see if they still have any lying around since they don't sell them normally. And the issues with chainstay-mounted calipers were never fixed, so if you use one of the calipers that didn't work, you're out of luck.

Edit: they also changed the cable routing to work better with the seatstay mount, and it would be kind of awkward with a chainstay mount since the cable guides are located on the top tube and seatstay now, rather than the downtube and chainstay like the 2013.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coleam View Post
    That was an issue with the 2013s, which are now sold out. The chainstay mount didn't work with certain calipers, so the mounting location was switched to the seatstay (easy to do as the mount is located on the removable sliding dropout). Later examples included both the chainstay and seatstay dropouts. 2014s only have the seatstay mount. If you want the chainstay mount, I believe the dropouts are interchangeable year-to-year (apparently you can buy the 2014 dropouts for the 2013 frame), but you'll have to give up the 142x12 axle and go QR-only. You'd also have to find someone to trade with or call up Canfield to see if they still have any lying around since they don't sell them normally. And the issues with chainstay-mounted calipers were never fixed, so if you use one of the calipers that didn't work, you're out of luck.

Edit: they also changed the cable routing to work better with the seatstay mount, and it would be kind of awkward with a chainstay mount since the cable guides are located on the top tube and seatstay now, rather than the downtube and chainstay like the 2013.

Thanks for the info. I was confused because the website pictures of the Nimble 9 still show a close up shot of a chain stay brake position,

Nimble 9 mountain bike frame for downhill or cross-country riding

and the replacement dropouts in the store also look like they have the chain stay brake mount (is that right? Can't tell by looking at the picture).

Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 142x12mm Dropout Kit - Service Parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the info. I was confused because the website pictures of the Nimble 9 still show a close up shot of a chain stay brake position,

Nimble 9 mountain bike frame for downhill or cross-country riding
    Yeah, they need to update the site with pics of the 2014s. Those are still the initial pictures from when they first got the 2013 frames.

and the replacement dropouts in the store also look like they have the chain stay brake mount (is that right? Can't tell by looking at the picture).

Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 142x12mm Dropout Kit - Service Parts
    Those are seatstay mounts. Compare the location of the mount relative to the bolt holes with the chainstay mount in the pics on the info page.

mtbr member
    I just built up a 2013 frame retro fitted with the 142x12 dropouts with seatstay mounts and no issues at all with brake / rotor mounting:
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-imag1458.jpg
    More details on the build over in the build thread:
    Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!
    I can post close ups of brakes / dropout if that would help.

Since I just got it built up I haven't got too many hours on it yet, and not sure what you'd consider "high end tube sets", but I've ridden lots of steel hardtails and my initial impression is that it's not just the geo that makes this bike handle so well. The tube fabrication and details are not just visually appealing - they all seem to be very well thought out improvements on balancing rigidity and flex in all the right places.

Another issue I had heard about was heel strike on the chainstays, but this has not been an issue at all with my size 13 clown feet.

I was worried that I may be dissapointed when I actually got on the bike and rode, but so far I am VERY impressed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Made a few updates to mine. Picked up a Reverb, swapped the tires, ditched the ergo grips, and traded my Formulas for Deores. Not much left to complain about now

ast
    mtbr member
    That red is real nice!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast