Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Robtre
    I have not tried the Crampon pedals, but they look good! Crazy expensive though.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    I have not tried the Crampon pedals, but they look good! Crazy expensive though.
    but are sick. pricy yes, but nice pedals

mtbr member
    When does the next set of frames come in, I need a large, any changes for 2016?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Anyone get any sort of creak from their rear thru-axle? I am getting a noise that I can't figure out. All the bolts are tight. Cassette is tight. Hub bearings are tight. Crank bearings are tight.
    It creaks one way when I pedal hard, then creaks back when I brake hard. Something is moving a tiny bit but I can't isolate it.

Thanks,
    -F
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    The trick I do to find a creak is place your finger on both parts and try to recreate the creak. Touch every part connection and wiggle it back and forth until you feel a "tick". Common creaks are seats, BB's, headsets, pedals and anything left slightly loose. It helps to figure out if it happens when standing or seated, coasting or pedaling or braking. Good luck.
    Turns out the thru-axle was loosening up. Not sure how. It was pretty tight.

-F

mtbr member
    I've been in the market for a HT 29er for a while now, having given up my long travel AM 29er for an AM 27.5 bike. I'm looking for this bike to be a bit of an XC rig, with some AM blood. The N9 seems to tick those boxes for me... efficient but somewhat compliant, yet at home under someone who ultimately prefers descents.

To that end, what do you guys *not* like about the N9? Why wouldn't this be the bike for me?

I know I'll have to take some answers with a grain of salt, but there's no better place to find people who have ridden this bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I love my Nimble 9; it definitely exemplifies all the characteristics you seek. I only have one complaint, but I've never seen it voiced here, so I'm assuming it's just me and my duck-footed riding style. That is, I have some problems with heel strike on the chainstays, which are pretty wide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalmore View Post
    I love my Nimble 9; it definitely exemplifies all the characteristics you seek. I only have one complaint, but I've never seen it voiced here, so I'm assuming it's just me and my duck-footed riding style. That is, I have some problems with heel strike on the chainstays, which are pretty wide.
    Interesting. It's the first I've heard about this particular bike, but it seems like a consistent theme for some people. With the new crop of wide rear/boost type rear ends, it seems like a race to accommodate the widest tires, shortest cs, and the straightest chainline. At some point, the width is not going to work for some people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalmore View Post
    A few people had that issue with my previous AM bike (Lenz Lunchbox) and its 16.7" chainstays, but it wasn't an issue for me, either on flats or clipless. Definitely appreciate the feedback, though!

I've seen at least one person call into question the quality of steel used. Can anyone (KVT included?) speak to that?

squish, squish in da fish
    No fatigue issues here and haven't seen any posts in the almost 3 yrs v2 has been out. I would absolutely never get rid of this bike unless I became a paraplegic. From what you are saying you're looking for, this bike is it.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    No fatigue issues here and haven't seen any posts in the almost 3 yrs v2 has been out. I would absolutely never get rid of this bike unless I became a paraplegic. From what you are saying you're looking for, this bike is it.
    I would still keep it, set in tin the corner to admire.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Now for an update on availability....

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Yes please...2016 Nimble 9..has it been done in raw yet??

Professional Crastinator
    22F, clear, and dry this morning.
    Damn is that thing shiny!

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-100_0316.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Yes please...2016 Nimble 9..has it been done in raw yet??
    No, raw. A steel frame would rust right away with no coating. We either chrome the frame or ED black and then powder coat the frames.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Those of you that have been riding xl or large N9, would you be against 80mm bottom bracket? Been looking for this and haven't found much.. Tires ~170mm b2b are really nice on steel HT frames like this, 80mm bb seems like a solid way to gain a couple mm for these rubbers in short cs w/ 29"

J:
    mbtr memebr

Black and chrome are nice

No, raw. A steel frame would rust right away with no coating. We either chrome the frame or ED black and then powder coat the frames.
    I should have said clear. Had a couple steel ht w/ raw look (clear so you can see the steel finish).
    Last edited by J:; 12-21-2015 at 07:36 PM.

clear satin PC on a steelie would be sweet.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Want to see the new dropouts...what kind of rear axle on the 2016?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Want to see the new dropouts...what kind of rear axle on the 2016?
    Site says 12X142 TA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guessing its still the 142 spacing with a 135 axle

Canfield Brothers
    The rear hub spacing is still a 142 x 12 hub. The rear axle comes with the frame however if you replace it, it is a 135x12 axle because the dropouts are narrower than the Maxle spec. We didn't think 16mm thick dropouts were helping with anything other than adding weight.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Site says 12X142 TA
    It doesn't say which kind of axle for 2016 though, think it used to be a 12x135mm TA.

Maxle, shimano, or maybe it's a Canfield one??

J:
    mbtr memebr
    The rear hub spacing is still a 142 x 12 hub. The rear axle comes with the frame however if you replace it, it is a 135x12 axle because the dropouts are narrower than the Maxle spec. We didn't think 16mm thick dropouts were helping with anything other than adding weight.
    Will this axle work?

Hadley Thru-Bolt 12mm X 165mm (135mm Spacing) ? Balle Racing Mountain Bike Parts & Tools

Canfield Brothers
    The 2016 N9, uses our own axle that threads into the drive side dropout, then has a pinch clamp on the NDS dropout that locks the axle into place. We use this same set up on our Jedi, Riot, 2016 Balance, the 2015 N9 and the 2011-2013 The One. It is the lightest, most effective axle set up we have used. We also stock replacements for anyone in need of one of these axles.

The Hadley, nor any other full bolt on thru axle won't work as it would require different dropouts to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Attachment 1005615Attachment 1005616
    Attachment 1006460
    2014 XL CHROME N9
    RS PIKE 140
    Industry 9 Turquoise
    Chris King HS PURPLE
    XT Brakes
    Purple Blackspire flats (best flat pedals i have ever owned)
    Turquoise Salsa Seatpost Clamp
    Thomson Stem 50mm Silver
    Thomson setback seatpost Silver
    MAXXIS IKONS

Why Purple and Turquoise ? Charlotte Hornets Colors. Love this bike so damn much!
    Nice build! How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and was on the fence between the XL and Large. Went with the XL. Seems like the bikes run short, but I have no real world experience.

Robtre
    By design its made to be snappy, therefore it is compact. I am 6'4", and the XL still feels a bit cramped compared to my older, more XC oriented bike fits. Bottom line is, this IS the best hardtail frame I have EVER ridden!!!
    -rides bikes for fun.

i'm 6'2", 34" inseam on an xl, 18/25 reach/stack, spot on fit for me. running a 50mm stem, 30"- 2"rise bars, straight post. i've been riding the gen2 v1 frame since the day they came out and i'm still impressed every day i ride it. i'm itching now to get a '16 balance and make it a snappy lil slalom 26er.

i like the fact that the '16 n9's are now getting a round tt and stealth routing. thought about selling my '13 chrome and getting one of the new metal flakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i'm 6'2", 34" inseam on an xl, 18/25 reach/stack, spot on fit for me. running a 50mm stem, 30"- 2"rise bars, straight post. i've been riding the gen2 v1 frame since the day they came out and i'm still impressed every day i ride it. i'm itching now to get a '16 balance and make it a snappy lil slalom 26er.

i like the fact that the '16 n9's are now getting a round tt and stealth routing. thought about selling my '13 chrome and getting one of the new metal flakes
    Thanks for the reply. Perfect.

just saw pics of the green flake frame on the CB site and man that thing is tits. should i sell 13 chrome frame for this, maybe?

mtbr member
    Converted my N9 from ridid SS to 6sp 140mm hardtail.

First ride of this season:
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-20160319_162728_burst16-1-.jpg

J:
    mbtr memebr

just saw pics of the green flake frame on the CB site and man that thing is tits. should i sell 13 chrome frame for this, maybe?
    Agreed on the finish...fyi dbl ✔ geometry...ST, reach, sizing shift from previous MY to 2016

Unit 91
    Built the N9 back up with B+ to compliment the Riot. This is just a loaner wheelset (which the Scraper rim is a tad too wide), but these wheels change the way this bike rides. Sooo much fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-image.jpg  

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-image.jpg  

Bikes

mtbr member
    Awesome. I'll be on that train soon. Just laced up my wheels last night. Next up, tension... Kind of therapeutic, this wheel building thing. The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-imageuploadedbytapatalk1458865485.190663.jpg

mtbr member
    Nevermind
    Last edited by Adim_X; 03-25-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Nevermind

Robtre

Best Hardtail Ever!

Unadulterated FANBOI RANT ON:

After a full year on my Nimble 9, ~1500 miles on a wide variety of terrain, the N9 is the best hardtail, and bike at that I have ever ridden! For the record I have had 11 different hardtails, and 2 FS bikes and my N9 is my baby! I have ridden PISGAH GNAR up, and downhill with huge smile on my face, I have ridden super-flowy flow trails, even dropped the seatpost and ridden pump tracks/ dirt jumps with it. I love this bike, I cannot imagine anything better! The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-fullsizerender.jpg
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A word of caution, I've recently had to retire my Gen 1 N9 because of a crack at the weld of the head tube to the down tube-head tube gusset. I loved the frame when rode it for 2 years (it was hanging in my garage for the last 2 years til I built it up for a friend to try), but I'm a little disappointed the frame failed like this. I'm a 50 year old XC rider, had the frame built with a 100mm fork. I bunny-hop stuff but never do big drops or anything remotely radical. Canfield did ok and offered me a new frame for $500 (the new frame is sweet but a bit porky), but I'm still a bit uneasy with the idea of a $600 frame that's only expected to last 2 years, (less I imagine if you're free-riding the bike like it's designed for).

the fat don't bother me and it is made to handle things a lot differently than the 1st gen. once you get used to it bad memories will fade away, guaranteed. gen 1 was notorious for ht/dt failure. canfield did good on gen 2

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm looking to sell my 2016 Nimble 9 Frame Large Green in the next few weeks. Some use marks on the frame though no dings or dents. Price is $500.00
    I have it listed with more information on the Classifieds page

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213