Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It seems that most of my rides start with a brutal climb, so wondering if it's worthwhile to consider an adjustable travel fork if I pick up a YS or N9? 110-140 would be the plan. I spend more time going up than down, so want the best of both, of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @fishwrinkle yeah you're probably right re the EBB - I just recall the sliders having quite a heft when I took them out the box.

It's no biggie to me, this is a frame for riders not weight weenies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @GSPChilliwack I find my 140mm Pikes climb well, to my mind I doubt the complexity and added weight of travel adjustable forks give enough payback.

I guess this comes down to how much you care about the climbs. If climbing performance is important to you, rather than just a means to get where you want to go, maybe the benefit would be more.

mtbr member

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

I've been looking at 29er hardtail for a while now. I'm stuck. I've looked at the Kona honzo, chromag surface and rootdown, and niner ros. I have a canfield Dj long and love it! So I'm definitely looking at a nimble 9 I'm 5'11 I'm very curious as to whether to get a medium or large, in most bikes I always seem to find my self in between. Looking at the numbers I'm thinking medium and using a 150 or 125mm ks lev and 50mm stem, but I could always go with a shorter dropper and a 35mm stem on the large. Just trying to get an idea. I currently ride a large Banshee rune v2 26" large. It feels good. I used to have a special Ed enduro Evo large and it always felt kinda big for me even with a 35 mm stem. My plan is to run a pike lowered to 120mm or 130mm. Are most people running flat bars on 29ers? Never owned one and I have only ridden one once. Looking at this for everyday riding, and especially for our local 6 hour and 24 hour races. I'm more of an am/e word type rider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm just about 5'8" and on a medium, 780mm bars, 50mm stem. I could do with it perhaps being a tiny bit shorter when riding seated, when stood up (which is what's important to me from a handling point of view), it's fine.

I'd say you could choose an M or an L maybe an L would be more versatile for you.

Can you compare the geo charts to your current bikes? ETT etc?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post

P.S.- Nice job on building it up with the dropouts slammed forward. You, sir, are doing it right.
    Hey, I had these two skinny, long, silver bolts left over.. the ones in the pic here on this page that I believe are Dropout Tension Bolts and nuts:

Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 Gen 2 Service Parts - Service Parts

How do I use these?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wind them in to the frame from the seat tube side, you'll see there are holes there, so the end contacts the upper slider bolt. They prevent your sliders being moved forwards as a result of pedalling forces. Perhaps you can do without them if you have the axle slammed forwards, but you may risk the bolts getting jammed into the slider hole where it rounds. Personally I regard the shortest position that actually uses the bolts, with enough bolt in the slider holes to hold the locknuts, as the shortest viable slider position but I'm open to correction on that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto View Post
    Wind them in to the frame from the seat tube side, you'll see there are holes there, so the end contacts the upper slider bolt. They prevent your sliders being moved forwards as a result of pedalling forces. Perhaps you can do without them if you have the axle slammed forwards, but you may risk the bolts getting jammed into the slider hole where it rounds. Personally I regard the shortest position that actually uses the bolts, with enough bolt in the slider holes to hold the locknuts, as the shortest viable slider position but I'm open to correction on that.
    This... I believe they use a 1.5mm alan key and a 5mm bolt? They work really well and make it easier to center/straighten your wheel.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    This... I believe they use a 1.5mm alan key and a 5mm bolt? They work really well and make it easier to center/straighten your wheel.
    Thanks guys for the quick response! I can't think where this may be but I am sure when I get home and see the bike it will all make sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    see the last but one pic here: Nimble 9 mountain bike frame for downhill or cross-country riding

Though that shows the locknut inside the frame not inside the slider hole, so maybe I'm wrong. The locknut must be reversed to stop the bolt falling out.

Shows what I know, on here dispensing advice and I have it set up wrong.

Edit: Pics here also confirm I'm wrong! Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 Frame - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Frames - Vital MTB

mtbr member

Just got my 2015 today

Gonna build it up this weekend. Here is the build list:

Size large LE Chrome

RCT3 pike 140mm

XO1 cranks with wolf tooth 32 guide ring.

KS LEV 125 dropper black post

WTB volt sadle

Stan's Arch EX wheels

XT brakes

XT derailer

But will probably end up SS

Ibis carbon bars

ESI extra chunky grips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago VerHauen SS
    Salsa Horsethief

squish, squish in da fish
    ahhhhh, i remember when i had that moment. then i heli taped the **** outta her for hours, but well worth it. have fun

mtbr member
    Just finished building it up. 30.1lb with 140mm rc pike, LB 1720g wheelset, dropper on its way. Shakedown tomorrow.

Most of the parts came across from my 2011 One. Most are just place holders for now like the DH spec'd Renthal bars and 2010 Tech M4's. Once I pick up what I want for it should be close to the 28lb mark when all said and done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-image.jpg  

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-image.jpg  

Last edited by bigcrs; 12-31-2014 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    bigcrs..... Looks mean and ready to shred!!! Will probably throw a dropper on my 650b+ N9 shortly.... right now it is my winter bike...

Any particular reason to run the wheel all the way back?
    The Bike Doc LLC
    Official Midwest Canfield Brothers Demo Center
    www.mrpbikes.com
    www.dvosuspension.com
    www.atomikcarbon.com
    www.mtbparks.com
    www.canfieldbrothers.com

mtbr member
    Looking good bigcrs. Digging that color! I'm also in the adding dropper to my N9 soon camp.

mtbr member
    Yep, it's ready to rumble! At this stage I'm gonna keep the chainstays set long. It's just I can get a feel of how the bike handles with more familiar wheelbase. Ill definitely be experimenting, we have some real old (15-20years) school steep, tight tech trails here which I plan to be riding Big Red mostly. Its where the short chainstays will come into to play I imagine.

The colour is hard to capture, looks so much better in person!

mtbr member

Here it is built up. Need to wait on my new dropper since I didn't pay attention to the fact that my old dropper was to big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago VerHauen SS
    Salsa Horsethief

Gigantic Hawk
    Yep, it's ready to rumble! At this stage I'm gonna keep the chainstays set long. It's just I can get a feel of how the bike handles with more familiar wheelbase. Ill definitely be experimenting, we have some real old (15-20years) school steep, tight tech trails here which I plan to be riding Big Red mostly. Its where the short chainstays will come into to play I imagine.

The colour is hard to capture, looks so much better in person!
    Once you go shorter, you probably won't go back. The short stays are one of the best features of this frame.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

Gigantic Hawk
    And the diamond shaped top tube is one of the worst. Nothing sucks more than a top tube smack to the inside of the thigh.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member

Complete Now!

Build:
    Canfield Nimble 9 Large Frame LE Chrome
    RS Pike RCT3 140mm
    XO Cranks with Wolf tooth Direct drive 32 T
    Stans Arch EX
    XT Brakes
    XT Pedels
    XT Ice Tech rotors
    endless cog 19t and spacer kit
    Ibis carbon Bars
    ESI Extra Chunky Grips
    KS LEV DX 125mm Dropper
    WTB Volt Saddle
    Weight TBT Guessing around 25ish Lbs
    The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1012.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1014.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1015.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1016.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1019.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1022.jpg
    Vassago VerHauen SS
    Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My new nimble 9 build with the help of pointerdixie214<!-- END TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> since I didn't have all the tools. Thanks bro for helping me with the build!

2013 Canfield Brothers Nimble 9
    Cane Creek 110
    Hope Pro 2 Evo 40t to Flox EX with Swiss comp spokes & brass nips
    Rockshox Reba RL 100 mm fork
    Avid Elixir S5 brakes
    KS i900 dropper
    Surly Cog
    E Thirteen chain ring
    32:17 gear ratio
    Shimano hollowtech cranks
    Deity Decoy pedals

Next up is upgrading the bars, stem, and saddle.

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1366.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1371.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_1364.jpg
    Last edited by Brozar; 01-08-2015 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Brozar View Post
    My new nimble 9 build with the help of this guy since I didn't have all the tools. Thanks bro for helping me with the build!

2013 Canfield Brothers Nimble 9
    Cane Creek 110
    Hope Pro 2 Evo 40t to Flox EX with Swiss comp spokes & brass nips
    Rockshox Reba RL 100 mm fork
    Avid Elixir S5 brakes
    KS i900 dropper
    Surly Cog
    E Thirteen chain ring
    32:17 gear ratio
    Shimano hollowtech cranks
    Deity Decoy pedals

Next up is upgrading the bars, stem, and saddle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_1366.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	953664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_1371.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	953665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_1364.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	953663
    Looks awesome and glad you like it!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    good work y'all

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just picked up my nimble 9 in blue. It's truly an amazing color. Frame weighed in at 6 1/4 lbs frame only. No sliders or bolts. I have a buddy that works at a bike shop and I had the opportunity to refaced the bottom bracket.
    Build so far :
    Wheels: dt Swiss 240s w/xr400 rims
    Tires: maxxis ardent rear high Roller 2 front
    Stem: syntace 70mm
    Brakes: shimano xtr race m9000
    Crank: shimano slx w/RF NW 32t
    Fork, rear cog and handlebar still deciding.
    This build will be SS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-20150108_181744.jpg  

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-20150108_185506.jpg  

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-20150108_185552.jpg  

Last edited by tw0leftskis; 01-09-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Frame sz Lg

Captain Climber
    Nice looking bikes! Good to see Brozar's bike since hearing so much about it. Where's Pooh-Bah's playground?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Nice looking bikes! Good to see Brozar's bike since hearing so much about it. Where's Pooh-Bah's playground?
    Thanks! Pooh-Bah's playground is a series of optional trails off of Ridgeline at Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve in Lithia, Florida. Hell of a fun trail to ride, probably my favorite I have ridden so far. Killer work out on single speed too.

That blue color is awesome! Nice looking bike, excited to see the finished product.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've got a '15 XL Chrome for sale if anyone wants to save a few bucks off new. With CC40 tapered headset and Thomson seat post clamp.

Robtre
    Blatant sending PM about your frame
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice Bike!
    Last edited by Boyer; 01-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

2015 Nimble 9

I finished building my 2015 Nimble 9. The frame is very well made and the build fit perfectly. I put a 120 on this build, had a 140 on my 2013I'm looking forward to riding.

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_3876.jpgThe NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-img_3877.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I like the build. Sweet looking.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks! The new black is very nice, works well with the Rock Shox black.

mtbr member
    Nice! First of the new black I've seen...I have the old matte black.

Finally got around to putting a dropper on mine (and really digging it).

Captain Climber
    Finally got to ride my new N9 for the first time since I built it a month ago. Everything worked perfectly. It rode like a dream. I had to get back to get under a very low hanging branch. Had no problem dragging my shorts on the tire without a dropper post. I'd say this is a perfect fitting bike. I really felt like I was riding high ( my first 29er) but it felt nice. I liked it. Great bike.

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-20150131_160711.jpg

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Finally got to ride my new N9 for the first time since I built it a month ago. Everything worked perfectly. It rode like a dream. I had to get back to get under a very low hanging branch. Had no problem dragging my shorts on the tire without a dropper post. I'd say this is a perfect fitting bike. I really felt like I was riding high ( my first 29er) but it felt nice. I liked it. Great bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150131_160711.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	960433
    Sorry.. Forgot to mention, this is the quietist bike ever... No chain slap, no creaks, no anything... Just quiet

a month before the virgin ride? whaaaat?!!! joking aside, glad you enjoyed it that much. once you get to learn the bike it only gets better. 2000 miles north of you i was learning the limits of her drifting in the snow today and how it's hard as fvk to ride skinnies . oh by the way you might wanna blur the license plate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brozar View Post
    Thanks! Pooh-Bah's playground is a series of optional trails off of Ridgeline at Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve in Lithia, Florida. Hell of a fun trail to ride, probably my favorite I have ridden so far. Killer work out on single speed too.

That blue color is awesome! Nice looking bike, excited to see the finished product.
    As soon as I saw that bike sitting in that box , I knew where it was..rode there last weekend , trails are in excellent shape.

kickass bike btw.

mtbr member

Questions on Nimble 9

I'm looking at a used Nimble 9, it's the chrome LE version in a size medium. The owner is saying that it has a 27.2mm seatpost. I thought all Gen 2 model's have 30.9mm. Can someone confirm?

Also, I'm 5-10 with a 33 inch inseam. I have a short torso and ride mediums, but I can ride a large. Is anyone with a 33 inseam riding a medium? How much post is showing, or more importantly, can I find a dropper that works?

Thanks!

Captain Climber
    2014 has the 27.2.. I've got one in medium. I'm 32" with a short stem... 50mm and a wide 820mm bar. Seems perfect for me but there is a lot of room to change it up. I can get past the seat without a dropper in this configuration.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    XFusion HiLo. I'm the same dimensions as Jem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-n9_pikes_web.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses guys. ghetto, is that a 140mm Pike? How does it ride?

The bike I'm looking at has a 140mm Pike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes. Previously had a 120mm Reba, the difference is night & day. The big wins are stiffness, geometry and fork quality (travel is actually less of an issue). Do it.

mtbr member
    You'll definitely be able to fit a dropper. I'm 5'7.5" with a 30" inseam on a medium and there's just enough room for me to fit a 100mm Reverb. With an extra 3" of inseam, you'll be able to fit a 125mm Reverb no problem and without too much extra post showing.

jmw
    mtbr member
    built up a 2014 model last year....fun ride (also had the original frame which was nice)

medium frame, 120mm Fox

The NEW Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-20141205_074340.jpg
    future nature

mtbr member
    Was in the mood for a color change. .... went from the 2013 orange to the 2015 Fire red. .....such a cool color. This was a parts swap. .. with the addition of another set of Canfield cranks.
    The Bike Doc LLC
    www.mrpbikes.com
    www.dvosuspension.com
    www.atomikcarbon.com
    www.mtbparks.com
    www.canfieldbrothers.com

how you liking that b+ setup, is bb ~the same height as 29? last question, how do those trailblazers grip, especially up front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    how you liking that b+ setup, is bb ~the same height as 29? last question, how do those trailblazers grip, especially up front?
    Really like the extra volume.. quiets down the rear end thru the roots and ruff frozen tundra. Feels like a Fatbike on a diet!!!
    As built using a 150mm 27.5 Fox Talas the BB height is 12.25" running 170mm crank arms. Plans are to put a 3.1" tire on front and leave the 2.8" tire on the rear..

The TrailBlazers are ok... suck in the mud but most tires don't do well in mud. Looking to do the VEE Trax Fatty on the front for a little more bite. But for now these will do.
    The Bike Doc LLC
    www.mrpbikes.com
    www.dvosuspension.com
    www.atomikcarbon.com
    www.mtbparks.com
    www.canfieldbrothers.com

thx for the info. can you squeeze a trax fatty in that fork or do you have another plan? i have plans of building up some 650 dually's but i smacked a deer last month and that took my wheel fund away. got the hubs sitting here collecting dust, hope pro 2 40t. i also am getting bored with the scheme of my bike so my plan is to have everything silver on a chrome frame. kinda like a reverse murdered out bike. the idea came to me as i was overhauling my fork and noticed how the lowers need new paint. i'm in the process of buffing them to a mirror finish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Is anybody running 180mm rotors with a Rockshox sektor? I need to know what adapter to get to run 180mm rotors front and rear with XT brakes.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Here's my 2015 N9
    Large
    Stem: Syntace 50mm
    Bar: syntace high 5* 12* bend 760mm
    Grips: esi race
    Seat post:Thomson 370mm uncut
    Saddle: Bontrager evoke carbon
    Brakes: shimano xtr m9000 race
    Disc: shimano xt centerlock
    Fork: manitou tower pro~have a pike 120mm on now.
    Wheelset: used dt Swiss 240 with xm490 rims swapping rims to nox in near future
    Tires: Fr Maxxis HR2, Rr Ardent LUST
    Cranset: SLX single speed set up with 32t RF NW with AL chainring bolts
    Rear cog: endless cog 20t with velospeed spacer kit and far and near cassette lockring
    Weight 26..17 lbs. haven't weighed the bike with pike.

Might get rid of pike for a sid. I don't like how the lock out is not like the manitou.
    Last edited by tw0leftskis; 03-08-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast