mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Need some help please

I recently bought a 2012 "One" frame, still to be delivered because I got it into my head that I would like to have a bigger more all around bike for.......ok, I really want a bike for ripping the descents but still need to climb. I'm going on faith from what I've read because I can't test ride one "One". I'm also 6'0 and ride a large Ellsworth Epiphany so I compared the geo of both bike frames and I'll be staying with a large. I'm planning to get an X fusion vengeance 170mm fork to match up the frame. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys with experience riding Canfield frames could help put my mind at ease. First, as I live in the S.F.bay area we have to do a lot of climbing to get to the fun stuff, I'm on the fence about whether to get the HLR or HLR DLA fork. I climb with a 140mm fork so I don't need to adjust my travel on it. 170mm seams like a lot of travel to climb steep stuff and would I need to lower the travel?. Second as I've already bought the frame, (I guess I'm having buyer remorse) I'm hoping it's going to be a better all around package then my Epiphany. I'ts just the head angle comparison is so drastic, 70 to 65. I'm rambling..... I can't wait to start buying parts and building! Thanks people.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Canfield One is among the best pedaling suspension there is. I don't know of anything that pedals through rough as well. You should feel good that you are buying one of the best platforms from some of the best in the industry. I love the Vengeance but am not a fan of travel adjust. If you bought the One, I assume your leaning toward riding fast and the climb is what get's you to the ride. If that is true, pedaling with the fork at 170 might not be any problem. It never bothers me. However, if you are desiring an "aggressive" climbing position and want to hammer the climbs, maybe the DLA is the way to go.

Since you said you want to be rippin the descents, I think you made an awesome choice. Hard to imagine not liking the one.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The ONE is designed to be a "downhiller's pedal bike" so it ought to serve your purpose very well. It gets to the top as easily as most 4-5" travel bikes but with an 8" package for the descent!

In answer to your question; I don't think the DLA is necessary. Reason is that the BB is pretty low on The ONE. With an angleset swept in and an external cup lower I have the front end raised about as much as it can be and it's just right for me. The main problem you would run into is when you drop down to the 140mm setting you put the BB and your pedals wicked low to the ground, making a technical climb all but impossible. If you plan on riding fire roads with no obstacles than go for it, but otherwise just stick with the 170mm as it doesn't even notice the climbs either way.

mtbr member
    Bay area rider here! I have a 2013 One on order...we should meet up this summer and ride...I'm at Demo/Santa Cruz area trails almost every weekend, and do about 6-7 northstar trips!

mtbr member
    The XFusion forks climb surprisingly well for their travel. I have a Vengeance coil and it is a much better climber than the Totem it replaced.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks guys for helping put my mind at ease. @ ikarus189 I live out in Oakley, so I try to get out to Demo or UC/wilder every so often. I belong to some of the mtb meet up groups in the bay area for some group rides and I'll pretty much go all over NorCAL. I'll be at SeaOtter this weekend, looking forward to seeing all the new stuff I wish I could have!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Thanks guys for helping put my mind at ease. @ ikarus189 I live out in Oakley, so I try to get out to Demo or UC/wilder every so often. I belong to some of the mtb meet up groups in the bay area for some group rides and I'll pretty much go all over NorCAL. I'll be at SeaOtter this weekend, looking forward to seeing all the new stuff I wish I could have!
    I have the same frame and fork combo. I ride the bike in the 8" setting with the Vengeance HLR 170 air fork. It took me actually riding/climbing with the bike myself to accept what everybody else was saying about The One's pedaling and climbing prowess. It's as advertised no doubt. So good.

I don't think the DLA version is required. It's stable with a planted front-end as is. It's really that good.

Enjoy!