Thread: N9 questions

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

N9 questions

Starting to look at these for a build. I read that some people were having issues with some brake brands. I have a set of Hope M4's with a 160 rear rotor I want to use. Does anyone have any experience using these with the N9? I also want to be able to use my Revelate Designs medium tangle bag with the frame and still use the water bottle holder. Is there enough space in the triangle? I'm 6'1" so I'm pretty sure I would need a large frame.
    Thanks,
    Chad

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    Starting to look at these for a build. I read that some people were having issues with some brake brands. I have a set of Hope M4's with a 160 rear rotor I want to use. Does anyone have any experience using these with the N9? I also want to be able to use my Revelate Designs medium tangle bag with the frame and still use the water bottle holder. Is there enough space in the triangle? I'm 6'1" so I'm pretty sure I would need a large frame.
    Thanks,
    Chad
    Aircooled - We produced a replacement brake mount that moved the brake from the chainstay to the seatstay. This will allow MOST brakes to mount without an issue. I can't say 100% on the M4's as we haven't physically mounted a set, but we see no reason that it should not fit.

At 6'1" we would recommend a Large for sure!

Feel free to hit us up if you have any other questions!

mtbr member
    Large frame/Medium tangle bag

If you can offset the bottle cage a little lower it will give you more clearance for easier access.

22oz bottle in the cage, btw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am running M4's on my large. 203mm front with a 183 rear. Not a problem at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So is the update brake mount included with the frame or do you have to purchase if needed? Also, what stem length is recommended? Thanks for the earlier replies

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So is the update brake mount included with the frame or do you have to purchase if needed? Also, what stem length is recommended? Thanks for the earlier replies
    Just got my frame today and I can confirm that it comes with the new dropouts/brake mount. The old one is included as well. Seems like short stems work best - I'm starting with a 65mm, but I've seen anywhere from 50-80mm stems on peoples' builds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So do they use full cable housing length for shifty bits?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So do they use full cable housing length for shifty bits?
    Yup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still deciding between the N9 and Carver 420. So with the new brake adapters you don't have to loosen the brake caliper to remove the wheel? I'm just thinking about in the woods, not wanting to chance loosing stuff. Also, any problems with 2 X10? I'm thinking about running single speed with a Shimano crank, and having the option to run a 1 X 10, and even put on a double crank to go to the mountains. Is the cable for the front derailure a solid housing like the rear? I'm trying to go one bike that I can switch the setup on and maximize the fun factor.
    Again thanks,
    Chad

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So with the new brake adapters you don't have to loosen the brake caliper to remove the wheel? I'm just thinking about in the woods, not wanting to chance loosing stuff.
    Correct. Mine came with the old dropout installed and the new one in a baggie. It was easy to swap them.

Also, any problems with 2 X10? I'm thinking about running single speed with a Shimano crank, and having the option to run a 1 X 10, and even put on a double crank to go to the mountains.
    I'm currently running 1x9 (32T chainring) on a Deore LX crankset with no issues. Couldn't fit any spacers, bit it doesn't need any. Chainline looks good, though clearance is a tad tight. You might need spacers to fit a 2x crank depending on what rings you use.

Is the cable for the front derailure a solid housing like the rear? I'm trying to go one bike that I can switch the setup on and maximize the fun factor.
    Yep, solid housing for the front as well.