Gigantic Hawk

N9 Boost Crank and Chainring Fit Guide

There has been some questions on what exactly fits the new N9 Boost frame. Let's post up what works and what doesn't in this thread.

My current setup is a 165mm Canfield Brothers crankset with a DM BB30 30T AB oval ring. Plenty of clearance. My frame is setup as a single speed.

N9 Boost Crank and Chainring Fit Guide-img_20161129_184013539.jpg

A non Boost 32T round ring mounted on the inside of a Stylo crank also fits, but barely.

N9 Boost Crank and Chainring Fit Guide-img_20161129_182753167.jpg

What hasn't worked so far, DM Boost 32T AB oval on the Canfield crank.

Could probably fit a DM 32T AB oval if it was BB30.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    After a few attempts, I finally got the drivetrain settled for my boost N9 with Raceface Cinch Aeffect Crank.

I tried both Absolute Black oval standard offset and boost offset chainrings (30 tooth) before I realized that neither of them are compatible with the N9 if you are using a raceface aeffect cinch crankset like I am.

I ended up using a 28 tooth raceface ring for now.

I came to understand that the Absolute Black standard offset oval is made to setup a 49mm chainline instead of the N9's 52mm chainline. This puts the ring in contact with the N9 frame (with raceface aeffect crank). I tried to flip the ring, but this did not setup the correct chainline either.

The Absolute Black boost offset oval ring appears to be designed for use with a far wider crank than mine. It is offset 6mm from the mounting point which lines it up FAR too close with the N9 frame.

It does appear that Wolftooth components makes an oval cinch chainring with 0mm offset instead of the 3mm and 6mm AB ring offsets that I tried. I have a hunch that 0 offset would work, but I did not personally try this option.

I hope this saves somebody the hassle that I experienced! Hoping I can return both AB rings to the amazon sellers that I bought them from.
    roots, rocks, logs, downhills, jumps, drops, chutes, climbs...repeat