mtbr member

My freshly built 2010 Jedi (plus advice needed on Fox DHX RC4 initial setup)

So I just finished getting my bike build up on Monday. Most parts are either used or carry-over parts, but I'm stoked about getting out and riding/racing it this weekend.

Some details on my build...

- 2010 Large Canfield Jedi w/ Fox DHX RC4
    - 2011 Manitou Dorado Pro (2012 graphics and guards)
    - Mavic EX721/EX823 (F/R) laced to Hope Pro2 hubs w/ DT Competition spokes
    - Maxxis Minion DHF's F&R (running tubeless with Stans)
    - Avid Elixir R brakes (203mm F&R)
    - Shimano Saint M815 Cranks w/ Raceface DH BB
    - SRAM X9 Shifter/Derailleur and PC-971 chain
    - Dura-Ace 11-23 9spd cassette
    - Wellgo MG-1 Pedals (Getting a set of red Crampon Ultimates when they arrive)
    - Crank Brothers Opium Headseat (Dorado steerer tube was cut to short for traditional headset)
    - Sunline 42mm Directmount stem and old Hussefelt bars w/ ODI Ruffian grips
    - SDG Ti-Fly saddle on Thompson setback seatpost

Final weight: 38.6lbs

I'm probably going to change the rear shock to either a Marzocchi Roco Air WC or a X-Fusion Vector Air, the brakes, bars, and of course pedals later this summer.

Due to a ton of rain around here I won't be able to go baseline it at the local trails before racing it this weekend. Any advice on how best to initally setup my RC4?

And Pictures...

Day I got the fork in....

Complete (picture is a bit dark)

Dark again

2014 Canfield Jedi - 2015 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ

Canfield Brothers
    A good place to start is turn off all the hi and low speed compression.

Sit on it and get your sag correct with the spring pre-load. (swap springs in needed)

Then start adjusting the rebound, without sitting on it, compress it as far as you can and let it rebound freely. Watch the rear wheel to see if the tire stays in contact with the ground. Speed it up till it hops and then slow it back down till it just starts to remain planted. That is a good, fast, controlled rebound. Tune to your preference once on the trail, this should be very close.

Add some low speed compression to get the pedaling as firm as you like it. I'd start with just a few clicks and ride it in a parking lot. You'll feel the bike is either soggy feeling or harsh, find a middle ground here.

Once on the trail the Hi speed compression can be tuned in. Watch how much travel is being used. If your bottoming out often, add some hi speed. Otherwise leave it wide open. The Jedi prefers a wide open setting to blow off on those square edge hits.

Hope this helps, good luck at the race!
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I was actually able to get it out for a trail ride yesterday. Eight miles of XC riding (albeit easy XC riding) on a full DH bike is tiring as hell, but it is what I needed to make sure the bike was mostly sorted before taking it up the lift tomorrow.
    2014 Canfield Jedi - 2015 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ