Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

My First-ever Build: Yelli Screamy

Hey guys - new to the Canfield side of MTBR. Just wanted to say hello as I am sure I'll be asking for input and advice. I got into MTBing about a year ago after purchasing a Surly Krampus with the intention of riding a mix of trails and street in my area. I enjoy the Krampus, but I've been riding rocky, chunky, technical-ish single track A LOT more than I thought I would and the rigid fork is getting a little old.

I love learning about bikes and how they work and tinkering with them, so after some thought and research, I decided I wanted to build my own bike from the frame up. I certainly don't know everything about building a bike, but am quickly finding out there's a whole ton of information out there and look forward to receiving input from all of you Canfield owners.

Anyway, enter the Yelli Screamy... I ordered a Large Ano Black frame yesterday and am excited to receive it. Descents are where I struggle and I think this bike will help a lot with that while still being a good climber. It's going to be a long-ish build as the funds aren't endless right now, but that's ok.!

Any input, tips, or advice is welcome as I get started.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    just ordered a medium blue ano frame myself last week. I'm in the same boat as you...should be interesting!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Our stories are very similar. I started with a Trek Cobia and moved to the Yelli and built it from the frame up.

My only suggestion is to make sure you have a crankset that is compatible with the Yelli frame. Due to the short chainstays some cranks have issues with the chainring clearance. I am running a Sram X9 with 32T MRP blingring and it barely clears.

Building a bike is pretty straightforward is you have a little mechanical ability and as you mentioned, there is a wealth of information here as well as all around the internet.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cbd5600 View Post
    Our stories are very similar. I started with a Trek Cobia and moved to the Yelli and built it from the frame up.

My only suggestion is to make sure you have a crankset that is compatible with the Yelli frame. Due to the short chainstays some cranks have issues with the chainring clearance. I am running a Sram X9 with 32T MRP blingring and it barely clears.

Building a bike is pretty straightforward is you have a little mechanical ability and as you mentioned, there is a wealth of information here as well as all around the internet.
    I plan on buying everything new, so any and all suggestions around parts are welcome. I've been researching like a lunatic - there's sooooo much information out there.

I took an initial swing at a parts list - for the crank I am thinking the Shimano Zee cranks (currently have them and they have taken a beating) with a RaceFace NW 30 or 32T ring.

As far as the build goes... my only concern so far is pressing the headset since I don't have the tools available. I am also not sure if the bottom bracket is easy to install or not. May go to my LBS to have those done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Pressing the headset was probably the most difficult part of the build for me. I made a tool of my own from some threaded rod and washers which worked, but it was difficult.

As far as the bottom bracket goes, the cups just thread into the frame (one RH threads, one LH threads). You just need the correct bottom bracket tool to tighten them.

Canfield Brothers
    As this is your first build, I'd recommend having the shop install the headset and BB. If you plan on doing more full builds, it might be worth buying the tools, however a headset press is quite spendy and the threaded rod method is a little ghetto. Go to the shop, watch closely how they prep and install it and go from there. The bb is easy and the tool is cheep, just pay attention to which cup is right and which is left. Grease both before installing.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    As this is your first build, I'd recommend having the shop install the headset and BB. If you plan on doing more full builds, it might be worth buying the tools, however a headset press is quite spendy and the threaded rod method is a little ghetto. Go to the shop, watch closely how they prep and install it and go from there. The bb is easy and the tool is cheep, just pay attention to which cup is right and which is left. Grease both before installing.
    Your thoughts are right in line with mine. I feel confident that I can do the bottom bracket and the tool is cheap - I don't mind adding more tools to my box

The headset is a bit daunting and I am not 100% comfortable rigging up something myself. Even if I was, I still don't think I would do it - guess I'm weird like that.

I'm thinking of purchasing the next wave of parts as my frame arrives - seems logical (to me) to get all of 'tougher stuff' like the BB, cranks, and headset out of the way first. Would you guys recommend otherwise?

-Chris

mtbr member

Oh, and for the headset I was going to go with a Cane Creek 40 unless someone can talk me into spending more and getting the 110.

mtbr member

110 is for looks. Check out enduro fork seals if you want a more reasonably priced fancy headset and BB.

And yes it's a good idea to do the bb and headset first.

mtbr member

No reason a CC40 won't be sufficient though?

mtbr member

Cc40 is perfect. You want colors tho. Gotta go elsewhere

mtbr member

What can you guys tell me about chainring clearance on the Yelli? I have heard a 32T ring is tight but it'll fit. I've been debating on trying out a Wolftooth 30T ring instead.

Not sure if I was clear or not but I'll be running 1x10.

mtbr member

Spiderless makes the chainline much tighter. With a spider crank the clearance isn't bad. With spiderless I can fit 30 or 28t bling ring all day. 32t spiderless will need some spacers but is totally possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm goin with cane creek 40 as well, it's a solid choice. Just purchased an x9 crank. I'm going to remove the spider and put a 30t bling ring I think...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm running a Wolftooth SDM 30t and it is a close fit. Only about a mm or two of clearance. Previously ran a 32t Bling Ring and MRP AMG, which was close as well.

mtbr member

So you're saying it'll fit?!?!

Good to hear. Are you guys throwing any spacers on your BB?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    So you're saying it'll fit?!?!

Good to hear. Are you guys throwing any spacers on your BB?
    Yeah it definitely fits and gives a great chain line. I'm not using any spacers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    anyone have an opinion on brakes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Shimano slx.

mtbr member

That's what I plan on going with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    sounds good. Thanks for the advice guys.

Gouda, keep us posted. I will be slowly acquiring parts for my Yelli and will be curious to see what you get as well. My first frame build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As far as brakes, I'm running XT and they have been flawless. Bleeding is a piece of cake. SLX are practically the exact same, and I would go with them in a heartbeat as well. For the rotors, I have 180 up front and 160 in the rear. I have never felt like I needed more stopping power.

Thought about forks at all?

mtbr member

I'm thinking Revelation 140 for mine. There are a few RCTs floating around online for cheap.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by CDM88 View Post
    sounds good. Thanks for the advice guys.

Gouda, keep us posted. I will be slowly acquiring parts for my Yelli and will be curious to see what you get as well. My first frame build.
    I'll try to post my updates in this thread - wish I could post quick updates... but my build is gonna be slow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    I'll try to post my updates in this thread - wish I could post quick updates... but my build is gonna be slow.
    Trust me, your not alone...took me awhile just to purchase the frame...it's gonna be a while before my yelli will be ridden...luckily I have another bike to ride in the meantime.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast