Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looks sweet Gouda!

Now that I found a bar I want...it's no longer made....sunline v1.....why!!
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

mtbr member

My First-ever Build: Yelli Screamy

What makes that one special compared to some of the others?

mtbr member

Dropped my frame off in its current state to have my headset cups pressed, fork cut, and star nut installed. Looking forward to getting it back from my LBS. Should be able to finish the remainder of the build on my own.

mtbr member

Cane Creek 40, Thomson stem, RS Pike 140mm RCT3:

Testing the fitment of the Atlas bars:

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    How long is that atlas bar? I'm curious how you like the 70mm stem...I'm leaning towards a 50mm thomson...
    Follow my MTB blog...

mtbr member

The Atlas bar is 785. My very first thought with the Thomson stem is that 70 is a little long. However, I won't know for sure until it's on the trail. I went with the 70 for climbing purposes - feel like anything less would be too short.

The stem and bar setup is sorta close to what I have on my Krampus. It currently sports a 780 Boo Bar and a 80mm stem.

I wholeheartedly believe it's going to be a lot of trial and error with this new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    what's your height/inseam? i'm 5'9" with an inseam of 31". in my recent conversation with canfield through email, i was advised that the best frame for me would be a medium.

coming from a 'standard' 29er (not short CS), also a medium, i'm comfortable running a 50mm stem and a hb not less than 730. hb rise is 20mm, spacer of 10mm.

i'm looking at replacing my cockpit with a dmr wingbar/defy... wonder how it will change the feel

(still saving up for this frame - not cheap, but i like ano green)

mtbr member

I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam. Maybe 34" on a good day.

mtbr member

Going to try and mount up my tubeless tires this weekend. Never done it before. Assuming it's gonna take awhile.

mtbr member

I made a lot of progress tonight, but have a few questions...

1) Shimano rear IS brake adaptor - is it supposed to come with the concave / convex washers? The adaptor I received for my 160mm rotor did not have those as far as I can tell.

2) Is it normal for the rotors to rub on the pads A LOT before proper alignment? Just seems like there's a heavy amount of rubbing so far and I am curious.

Other than that, coming together nicely:

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes and yes.

Those washers are discussed in the install manual.

Assuming your wheels are correctly installed, it could be your calipers arent aligned with your rotors and/or rotors are lightly warped. Both can be easily fixed.

1 loosen your caliper mounts so they are free to move sideways.
    2 spin your wheel and tighten the bolts bit by bit
    3 where you hear rubbing spot, slightly bend the rotor on that area with an adjustable wrench - flat jaws and lots of leverage

Cheers

mtbr member
    No ... those washers do not come with shimano set ups. .. they are used with sram brakes. Shimano will mount directly to the brake adapter without the convex/concave washers. . And yes there will be some rubbing of pads to rotor prior to alignment due to the force of the brake line slightly twisting the calipers . All corrected when the mounting bolts are tightened after the calipers is aligned ....
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...psb5c701c1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    you can also loosen the calipers and spin the wheel, then apply brakes to clamp down the rotor and they "should" self-align. While keeping brakes squeezed, tighten the caliper bolts. I've had success with this.
    Follow my MTB blog...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by CDM88 View Post
    you can also loosen the calipers and spin the wheel, then apply brakes to clamp down the rotor and they "should" self-align. While keeping brakes squeezed, tighten the caliper bolts. I've had success with this.
    Yep. That's the method I was going to use but have not gotten there yet. I reached a stopping point last night and figured I would throw those questions up to see.

First person said yes, I should have the washers. Second person said no. So what's the real answer? My front 180 post mount adaptor came with the adaptors and I used them per the instructions. It was pretty self explanatory. The rear 160mm adaptor DID NOT come with any washers, just the two bolts to mount the caliper to the adaptor. If this isn't a big deal, then cool - I was more curious than anything because my old BB7 setup used the alignment washers front and back.

mtbr member

Doing a little early morning research - looks like the 160 rear adaptor doesn't come with the washers... just bolts. Thinking that I am ok and am not missing parts.

mtbr member
    Hey Gouda.... even with my xt brakes on a 185 mm rotor and shimano adapter I do not use the convex/concave washer setup... they are mounted hard up on the adapter.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Hey Gouda.... even with my xt brakes on a 185 mm rotor and shimano adapter I do not use the convex/concave washer setup... they are mounted hard up on the adapter.
    Front? Never even thought about not using the washers up front.

mtbr member
    Yep. ....neither front or rear....
    From my understanding sram has designed the off set of the caliper to rotor to require the "washers" for proper spacing. Shimano and Hayes along with several others have not and the "washers" are not required

mtbr member

Good to know. I will have to try it a try. Right now I am busy learning about adjusting and setting up a rear derailleur and shifter. Wish I had more time this week to invest in it.

mtbr member

So for whatever reason, shortening the hoses on my XT brakes got the best of me. I gave up after a bit and dropped by bike off at the LBS to do that part of my build

That being said, derailleur, chain, shifter went on last night and got that dialed in. I am VERY close to riding this bike - hopefully next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    So for whatever reason, shortening the hoses on my XT brakes got the best of me.
    How so?

Ive done 5 or 6 XT hoses and could help ya out maybe?

mtbr member

Too late now. LBS took care of me for less than $30 and bled the system too.

My issue was with the mess I was making and I didn't have the proper setup to make a good cut and then place the barb in. Tried a few methods, got frustrated and gave up. I think with a proper vice and cutting tool I would've been good to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I hear ya. If you ever want/need to do it in the future, i take the yellow bleed blocks and sandwhich the brake hose between it and lock it in with vice grips. Use a sharp unused razor blade and cut straight down on the hose using the blocks as guide. Install the insert, olive, and boom your done.

Just keep the lever above the caliper and you shouldn't have to re-bleed. I usually do it anyway.

$30 aint too bad and good your supporting your LBS. looking forward to seeing your Yelli. Im finishing my Yelli when my new wheels come in next week.

mtbr member

Where I went wrong was the vice... what I had didn't work and it slipped out. Then stuff shot everywhere...

TWSS...

mtbr member

Based on my ride around the block, this bike is amazing. Finished it up this morning and burned the brakes in. Working on setting up my Pike too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast