Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was told they should have a new batch of frames in July, so keep an eye out on their site...
    Follow my MTB blog...
    http://cdmountain.blogspot.com

mtbr member

My First-ever Build: Yelli Screamy

Yeah. Black will work for me. Decided on blue accents to keep my blue-loving self happy. Ordered and received my Wolftooth 30T and blue bolts. Ordered my wheelset from Hubsessed with blue Hope hubs. That will hopefully be in sometime next week. Getting there....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Yeah. Black will work for me. Decided on blue accents to keep my blue-loving self happy. Ordered and received my Wolftooth 30T and blue bolts. Ordered my wheelset from Hubsessed with blue Hope hubs. That will hopefully be in sometime next week. Getting there....
    How do you like the wolftooth? I was originally going to go with MRP bling ring, but don't think it has the narrow/wide teeth, so leaning towards Wolftooth as they also have a SRAM direct mount chainring for my X9 crank...
    Follow my MTB blog...

mtbr member

Dunno... It's sitting in a box. But... I dig that it's made in the USA and that they are a hard working grassroots type company. The quality is there. I've read nothing but good things about them.

mtbr member
    I put in my headset cups with a wood block and a mallet. Had no issues during install and no issues since, 3 months or so. Also not sure what special tools you would need to install a threaded BB. I hand tightened it then used a towel and a pipe wrench. Again no issues. Just use common sense.

mtbr member

Bottom bracket won't be too difficult. I already have a BB tool to loosen and tighten my existing BB so I should be good there.

The old wooden block and mallet trick actually works eh?

mtbr member

Anybody know what length seatpost I should shoot for on this bike? I was thinking of going with a Thompson post but have no idea about length.

The White Jeff W
    Bottom bracket won't be too difficult. I already have a BB tool to loosen and tighten my existing BB so I should be good there.

The old wooden block and mallet trick actually works eh?

Thats usually what I do and havent had any problems. Just put a little grease on it and make sure its going in straight. If its super tight stripping the paint off the part that goes in the frame can help.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    just snagged a chromag lynx saddle on amazon....$45 aint bad!
    Follow my MTB blog...

mtbr member

XT hollow tech cranks are here. Time to finally assemble SOMETHING.

mtbr member
    What length seat post do you guys recommend? Given the odd shape of the YS frame, I am not sure what to go with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey Gouda, have you given any thought to stem/bar combos? I'm getting to that point myself...
    Follow my MTB blog...

mtbr member
    I'm running 65/720 on my N9, and it's working great. Some people go even wider though - it depends on your local trails. I can't run anything wider without clipping trees left and right.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I ended up with the Race Face Atlas 785s and 70mm Thomson 0* rise stem. Hopefully it'll work out. My current bike has a 90mm stem and 780 bars and it seems to work well. I didn't want to go with too short of a stem because 50% of my rides is a climb. I figure I can always replace the stem later on if needed.

mtbr member

I won't lie, it seems like the stem and seat post choices were the hardest to make. Everything else has been a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Looking forward to pics My current bike is black with blue bits, its a really nice combo (with a dash of white).
    Will be after blue frame myself, hope there is one im my size somewhere in the world, got a test ride tomorrow and I cant wait ... will go insane if I have to wait three months though.

mtbr member

I need to take all the crap I've received out and snap some pics one of these days. Right now it's just a mess of boxes in my garage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have been going back and forth on a Tallboy Lt and a Screamy Yelli. My buddy is building a Yelli and after seeing it, I am leaning heavily towards the Yelli. I would have to keep the build price under 3k. My idea right now is to buy the Diamondback Mason pro ($1500) and swap out the frame and wheel set. The Mason is a knock off of the Yelli with decent build kit. Has anyone out there tried this? I know the fork and seat post will work, not sure about the bottom bracket.
    Thanks

mtbr member

For what it's worth, I could've EASILY built mine for under $3k total. I didn't because I wanted top of the line everything (for no real reason).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    After spending the entire day pricing parts on the internet, I am going away from the donor bike idea. Any thoughts on the Canfield 29er wheels? They are only 375 with a frame. I was thinking with the money saved I may be able to squeeze a Pike into the budget. Also, I was looking at shimano XT build kits on ebay. With brakes for around $700, but they are shipped from Hong Kong. I am trying to get a budget on paper before I take the plunge.

mtbr member

That's what I did... built a spreadsheet with my wish list of stuff. I'll try to post up my build tomorrow so you can see what I've got and what I've spent. Maybe that will help you take the plunge

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I won't lie, it seems like the stem and seat post choices were the hardest to make. Everything else has been a no brainer.
    Yeah the stem and chainring are the hardest for me. Seems everyone goes with a 50 or 60mm stem, but I feel it would hurt the bike for climbing mode. I want a wolftooth ring, but I'm concerned with the clearance/fit with my X9 crank...bling ring is recommended by Canfield but it doesn't have wide/narrow teeth.
    Follow my MTB blog...

mtbr member

I may end up going with a 60mm eventually. We will see. My 70 showed up yesterday and it's definitely shorter than what's on my current bike.

I hope my WT 30T with my XT cranks works well. Didn't do much research beforehand.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I could've EASILY built mine for under $3k total. I didn't because I wanted top of the line everything (for no real reason).
    Alright - I wanted to post up my build specs now that I've purchased everything. Here goes nothing…

Yelli Scream frame - Ano Black, size L
    Rockshox Pike 140mm, SA, 15mm TA, 51mm offset
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    29" KOM wheels, Hope Hubs, Sapim spokes, Alloy nipples
    29x2.3" WTB Vigilante tires
    RaceFace Atlas bar
    Thomson X4 70mm stem
    ESI Chunky grips
    Shimano XT brakes w/ IceTech rotors (180/160)
    Shimano Saint rear derailleur
    Shimano Saint shifter
    Shimano XT 11-36T cassette
    Shimano XT chain
    Wolftooth 30T w/ blue bolts
    Shimano XT cranks
    Spank Spikes pedals
    Hope seat post collar
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Thomson Elite 410mm seat post
    Shimano brake adapters

I think that's everything. A few of you were interested in building this bike for under $3k. If you want to talk $$ and how much this build cost ME, just shoot me a PM. Now I wait for the rest of the my parts to show up.

Shout out to Biker Bob for a majority of my parts - this dude rocks. Also a HUGE thank you to Dusty @ Hubsessed. He answered any and all questions I had related to my wheel build and other bike-related things.

mtbr member

Started the slow slow assembly process this evening...

Thomson Seatpost / Hope QR:

XT Hollowtech cranks converted to 1x10 w/ Wolftooth 30T & blue extended bolts:

And for those of you wondering about clearance:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast