mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My Canfield Experience

Be forewarned, what you're about to read is a blatant sickening love-fest for my new bike.

I was in the market for a new DH bike this year, mainly for riding Whistler Bike Park (I live in the Vancouver area.) I extensively googled everything out there for months, and kept coming back to the Canfield Jedi. It's not like everything else out there, stands out in the crowd, but more importantly everyone that had one raved about it in almost cult like passion. I thought long and hard, figured I'd check out the used market and see what was available. I had a few questions, so I emailed Canfield and experienced what present owners rave about almost as much as the bikes themselves...customer service. Sean from Canfield replied the next day with detailed answers to all my questions and then offered me a reduced price on a leftover 2012 frame that was just too hard to refuse. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. The build up was great, there is so much attention to detail in these frames. They ship with a container of loctite to apply to your pivots after assembly. Color me impressed. Cable routing is tidy with the included fasteners. Total weight came in a smidge over 37lbs. I love the look of it and couldn't wait to get it up to the bike park.

Over the years I've had an on and off again lust for Whistler. I'm no spring chicken at 48 and I'll never set any lap records, but I like to have as much fun as the next guy. This bike is the most confidence inspiring thing on 2 wheels I've ever sat on. It totally makes up for my lack of skill and holds a line monster trucking over pretty much anything while still feeling nimble enough to throw around on the tight stuff. Chunder - no problem, braking bumps - floats through them, jumping and coming up short (my specialty) no issue. The bike never seems to come unsettled and soaked it all up with out blinking. The old adage, the faster you go the smoother it gets takes on a whole new meaning. This is where the suspension design really becomes apparent. My first run down the techy stuff was a bit tentative and I found my self getting hung up and generally hacking it up. Next run down I just let it go. Going faster than I'd normally feel comfortable over some pretty rugged terrain was effortless. I really surprised myself at how well I was making it through. Just point and shoot, the bike held the line and soaked it all up. I'm not a good jumper. A-line is something I have generally not ridden in the past few years. I decided this past weekend it was time to change that. While the bike didn't instantly transform me into Brendan Fairclough, it did give me the confidence to let it go here and there and before the day was over things had gotten a lot better. So much that I can't wait to get back next weekend and have another go at it. They say a good rider can ride well on any bike, but to me a great bike can take an average rider and give them the confidence to be a better rider. That's exactly what this Canfield Jedi has done for me. Thanks first to Sean Gollub for luring me into the cult that is Canfield ownership, and thanks most to the Canfield Brothers for providing the koolaid!

I'll leave you with a few photos, build details can be found here Canfield Jedi - dave-m's Bike Check - Vital MTB

Last edited by davet; 08-25-2013 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice write up. Great to see more unique bikes with the unique builds kicking around Burke!

I really like this line "a great bike can take an average rider and give them the confidence to be a better rider." True statement, my 2011 The One has been with me through thick and thin and has allowed me really progress. I've just reached a new level on my One, and quickly coming up on the next. Its an excellent bike backed by the best CS in the industry.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I've met you up on Burke briefly, you were working on lower Fluid. Thanks heaps for all of your time building/maintaining our little piece of paradise.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice write up! I need to work more on mine, been too busy riding though!

mtbr member
    great to hear of your experiences, and the photography really does justice to the bike, great stuff

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great to read this. I am a 49 year old MTBer on the EC and started to DH last season with my 2012 the One. I consider myself a fairly solid xc/trail guy but after riding the One this and last season it has DEFINITELY stepped me up. Whole new level of flow for me, seeing lines different and understanding how to handle the bike in different jump situations (not big ones... I have a mortgage).

I agree, the bike does not make the rider but my Canfield was a game changer for me.
    Soooooooooooooo fun!

Note: The bike has been flawless mechanically.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Beautiful Dave!!! Your post echo's the same reason's I got into my first Jedi! That feeling of rear wheel release thru rough terrain is hard to beat! The F1 design has gone thru 14 years of real world testing and its DIALED in the Jedi! Glad you are experiencing the same love we get! Stoked to have you on board!

Canfield Brothers
    Dave,

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to write this great review and include these amazing images! I just posted this to our Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Dave,

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to write this great review and include these amazing images! I just posted this to our Facebook page.
    I'm happy to! This bike has transformed my riding. I don't think I magically tapped into some hidden skillset that I didn't know I had, but I went from a non-jump rider to an A-Line whore this year. It's all a confidence thing and the Jedi made me feel I could really step it up a notch or three this year.