mtbr member

Moab bike advise?

My riding buds are planning a trip to Moab this April and I'm debating on going. It boils down to, If I can get the time off from work and more importantly, will the wife be ok with me vacationing for a week without her.(Boys trip) In the case I do go I was wondering what bike to bring? I have both a Balance and a Riot and was hoping for those with experience riding there what would be more ideal? I wouldn't have room to bring both.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    More travel the better (unless you are an xc weenie), IMO!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Either bike will be good. Moab chunk really lends it'self to the roll over of 29er. DEFINITELY go on the trip. It will be worth any future wife groveling.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

I'm with stupid
    I have ridden both of those bikes in moab. I say it depends on the goals for your buddies and how fast you want to go. The riot is a bit faster all around but after a few days my body felt beat up. You will use all 140mm on a regular basis out there if you are tring get some speed gong on the way down but it works. The balance was much more comfortable to ride multiple days out there in a row. Will be a touch slower and heavier on the flats and climbs but the body take a much less beating. If you do Burro pass down you will really enjoy the more travel of the Balance. If it was me and I was going with a group of hammer heads take the riot and plan on getting beat up. If I was going with my bros that are more about the experience and having a chill ride on the way up and kill it on the way down I would bring the Balance

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I took my Balance. I think my Riot would have been overwhelmed on some stuff, but still totally fine.

mtbr member
    Both bikes are amazing. I had a bad day on my One last fall, and I decided last second to demo a Riot from Double Down bike shop for the Enchilada the next day. Not sure if you've ridden it before, but the enchilada is not exactly the trail for a short travel bike. Being a big guy that's used to pushing 203mm/180mm bikes pretty hard, I was very concerned about a puny 140mm bike. Would I break it? Would Pinkbike make fun of me? But the guys at Double Down insisted that I'd really like it. I was still doubtful.

Holy crap. I was SO wrong.

The Riot/Toir was incredible. It rolled over the chunder like nothing I've ever ridden. And the suspension handled everything SUPER well. While I did use all the travel on a few of the harder hits, I never once hit hard. I only knew I had used all the travel by looking at the o-ring. It had short enough travel that I could preload and really spring my way up all the ledges and steps, which I can't do nearly as effectively on my long travel bike. Super playful when pumping the rollers and berms. And it still felt cushy and stable when descending. I may have even bested my overall time on the ride. I didn't miss my own bike and its pudding-suspension one bit. The only time I thought it might be a bit outgunned is if I was doing a few of the option line huck-to-flats off of 4-5 footers. But even a DH bike can hit pretty hard landing flat off that kind of drop. The Riot completely blew me away. I am sold on it. Sometimes, less really is more.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Both bikes are amazing. I had a bad day on my One last fall, and I decided last second to demo a Riot from Double Down bike shop for the Enchilada the next day. Not sure if you've ridden it before, but the enchilada is not exactly the trail for a short travel bike. Being a big guy that's used to pushing 203mm/180mm bikes pretty hard, I was very concerned about a puny 140mm bike. Would I break it? Would Pinkbike make fun of me? But the guys at Double Down insisted that I'd really like it. I was still doubtful.

Holy crap. I was SO wrong.

The Riot/Toir was incredible. It rolled over the chunder like nothing I've ever ridden. And the suspension handled everything SUPER well. While I did use all the travel on a few of the harder hits, I never once hit hard. I only knew I had used all the travel by looking at the o-ring. It had short enough travel that I could preload and really spring my way up all the ledges and steps, which I can't do nearly as effectively on my long travel bike. Super playful when pumping the rollers and berms. And it still felt cushy and stable when descending. I may have even bested my overall time on the ride. I didn't miss my own bike and its pudding-suspension one bit. The only time I thought it might be a bit outgunned is if I was doing a few of the option line huck-to-flats off of 4-5 footers. But even a DH bike can hit pretty hard landing flat off that kind of drop. The Riot completely blew me away. I am sold on it. Sometimes, less really is more.
    Now imagine if there was something in-between...that bike is the Balance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Would Pinkbike make fun of me?
    Nooooo......they're all gonna laugh at you!!!!!

No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    By April you will not be able to access the top (Burro), you'd be lucky to get UPS/LPS.

I rode the Riot and the Balance for a bit and I just couldn't enjoy the Riot as much as the Balance. The Riot was a stronger climber, but it requires a stronger peddler to keep it upright and moving forward. The Balance, for lack of a better description, has much better balance. Slow-moving peddlers like myself would do better on the Balance, but a strong climber will truly expand the capabilities of the Riot.

If you're trying to crush the climbs and anywhere that peddling is required, the Riot will be in the lead. If you're doing all you can to just get to the top, but want to completely crush the downs (and weigh over 220#), the Balance would be better.

It depends on who you're riding with and what your goals are, but early season with minimal shuttling available may be better for the Riot. If you go out later in the season and get the Whole Enchilada, I would suggest the Balance. That trail is long, I don't know many who aren't completely pooped by the end of it.

mtbr member
    Lot's of great advise, thanks everyone. I should have known from the beginning when it come to Canfield suspension. When in doubt take the bigger bike (Balance) because they all pedal awesome. Now all I need to do is get my shit sorted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, this is how I ended up on a Balance in the first place. The Riot would make much more sense for all the trails less than two hours from home. But when I travel, I pretty much always want the bigger bike.

It's pretty rare not to be able to find enough terrain to justify bringing the Balance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I rented a Riot from Double Down, DVO suspension and rode Captain Ahab and a few other trails the day I had it. I loved the 29" wheels for the rollover advantage on some of the features and I need all the help I can get climbing at those altitudes. I didn't ride the balance there, but based on my brief experience on the Riot, wouldn't want for anything else. I'd prefer the balance on my home trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Captain Ahab would definitely be fun on a Riot. Whole Enchilada, top to bottom, I was definitely glad to have my Balance. There were too many times that I found myself on a little spur that ended in a 2-3' drop, or I charged into something blindly and needed that extra few inches of travel.

As long as we're comparing the bikes, I have to say that I always have more fun and feel like i'm going faster on the Riot...but when I get home and compare strava times, the Balance is always significantly faster. It's strange too because I have my Riot built up fairly light with Enve wheels and fast-rolling 2.3 tires while my Balance is built for brawling and runs 2.6/2.5 tires. I can't count the number of times i've come home on the Riot and thought I crushed all my PR's, only to find out I was 20-30 seconds slower. Seems to be how it goes for me with 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Captain Ahab would definitely be fun on a Riot. Whole Enchilada, top to bottom, I was definitely glad to have my Balance. There were too many times that I found myself on a little spur that ended in a 2-3' drop, or I charged into something blindly and needed that extra few inches of travel.

As long as we're comparing the bikes, I have to say that I always have more fun and feel like i'm going faster on the Riot...but when I get home and compare strava times, the Balance is always significantly faster. It's strange too because I have my Riot built up fairly light with Enve wheels and fast-rolling 2.3 tires while my Balance is built for brawling and runs 2.6/2.5 tires. I can't count the number of times i've come home on the Riot and thought I crushed all my PR's, only to find out I was 20-30 seconds slower. Seems to be how it goes for me with 29ers.
    My experience was about the same. The Riot "seems" fast, but was actually slower than the Balance. It seems the Balance has the advantage of being "easier" to move, up and down, side to side. Every ride on the Riot took all of my strength to complete, where the balance didn't require as much physical effort. I think it's mainly to do with the short wheelbase and tall stance of the Riot, for lack of a better term, the Balance has better... Balance! I find myself getting to the top in about the same time, with MUCH more energy for the downs.

Yes, the Riot is a fun bike, but the Balance is more funner!

I'm with stupid
    Trophy ruck vs. Rally car
    I have places where one bike is faster than the other Some trails riot kills the balance and some the balance kills the riot. Once thing I do know is they are both fun bikes. I would not say one is more fun than the other because they both have awesome traits. With that said my riot does beat me up more in the chunk from the lack of that 25mm of suspension and the pike at 140 is WAY more progressive then my 36 at 170.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You can't go wrong with either bike. However, I would go with the Riot. It's the perfect Moab bike, especially on Captain Ahab.