Thread: Mix wheel size

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Mix wheel size

Anyone try 27.5 rear 29 front on the Riot? And Balance for that matter. I prefer the higher stack and roll over of a 29er but like the ease of manualling and not buzzing my butt(I have short legs and on the Riot I buzz ar full travel. Afraid if I get a bigger 29er this will be even less fun.

So wondering what the pros and cons would be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ran my large Riot with a 27.5 DT521 rim with NN 2.6 tire for a while and liked it a lot. I think the Riot is a good candidate for this treatment as it has a highish BB and steepish STA that can handle the slightly lower rear wheel no no adverse issues. It also has a good amount of tire clearance so you have lots of options.

I ended up moving that wheel to run my Honzo as a "mixer" and it's stayed there despite a few more pedal strikes that I never noticed on the Riot. The extra volume rear tire really helps on the hardtail.

mtbr member
    No, I haven't mixed wheel sizes and probably never will. I do like higher stack too after riding a Honzo for so long. I put 1 1/4" risers on my Balance after starting with 1/2". It brought back the tall feeling of my Honzo and the front wheel is so far out already that I feel back at home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My concern on the Riot would be that it is either going to lower the bottom bracket too far (if you go with a smaller 27.5 tire), or that it won't make enough of a difference (if you go with a larger 27.5 tire). If you've got a spare 27.5 wheel laying around then it couldn't hurt to try, though.

I actually love the idea of a mixed wheel-size bike though. I was checking out the Foes Mixer Enduro the other day. Wish I could find one to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    My concern on the Riot would be that it is either going to lower the bottom bracket too far (if you go with a smaller 27.5 tire), or that it won't make enough of a difference (if you go with a larger 27.5 tire). If you've got a spare 27.5 wheel laying around then it couldn't hurt to try, though.

I actually love the idea of a mixed wheel-size bike though. I was checking out the Foes Mixer Enduro the other day. Wish I could find one to ride.
    I'll probably give it a shot. If I can get a solo ride in. My wife rides a Process. With 27.5 and 2.5 tires on both ends it's a 13" BB height. I'd rather 13.4-13.5 if my math is right I'd probably be right around that.

The Foes and talk of mixed wheel size for short rider got me thinking lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I did it for one ride on my small Riot but my fork was set up too long at the time at 160 with a normal headset and my 29" wheel was very flexy. It felt weird. I want to try it again with my medium carbon 29's 2.6 Rekon front and 27.5x2.8 Rekon rear because I am also curious.
    2017 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    In doing the math (if I'm right) it looks like I'll lose about 10mm of reach. I might be able to get it back by slamming the stem, this might be preferred since I'll increase the stack. So I might like the set up but would want to move up to a medium.

The irony of this is if I like it is I just built up a set of carbon wheels with cushcore and all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Going back to your original post, I'm not sure that running a 27.5 wheel on the back is going to help with manual'ing other than just because you'll have your front up high already. The chainstays are still going to be the same length.

It would be the same effect as if you just put riser bars on, but with riser bars you wouldn't lose reach. Still going to buzz your butt, though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Going back to your original post, I'm not sure that running a 27.5 wheel on the back is going to help with manual'ing other than just because you'll have your front up high already. The chainstays are still going to be the same length.

It would be the same effect as if you just put riser bars on, but with riser bars you wouldn't lose reach. Still going to buzz your butt, though!
    I can manual easier with a 27.5 and slightly longer stays I think is has something to do with my leg length and axle height. The more I look into it though I'm think i might not like it. A 27.5 has a smaller contract patch and will need to have a more resistant tire on the back to keep up with the front.