Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Micro Drive & Guide

A couple of days ago I exchanged a few emails with Sean from Canfield HQ. I was originally fishing for a little info on both the 9t hub and what they are planing to do for chain retention. My question's were more specific to a 10 speed application.

It's not much info but I reckon it's pretty exciting. So to keep a long story short I'll pass on what I had just found out.

Hubs

- 9-26t cassettes will be made available (I'm thinking 12x150)
    - 10 speed hubs will be offered with mini cluster, which includes the 4 bottom gears and the remaining range will be whatever you want.

Guide

- It was referred to as a micro guide
    - 28-32t range
    - I'd say by reading between the lines is that guide is light!

Apparently they will be available in a few weeks and more info will accompany that release. Hopefully this scratches that itch you may have for now, but if your like me your still bloody itching!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What????

mtbr member
    .....aaannd it looks like the 150x12 9t hubs are ready to go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Very cool. Thanks for the update. I would love to run a 9-36 cassette for climbing and descending. Any thoughts or suggestions on what size chainring would be a good balance for going up and coming down?

mtbr member
    At this stage I reckon I'm going to run a 28t front with a spiderless crank set of some description...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    At this stage I reckon I'm going to run a 28t front with a spiderless crank set of some description...
    Are you building up the ONE?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLD80 View Post
    Very cool. Thanks for the update. I would love to run a 9-36 cassette for climbing and descending. Any thoughts or suggestions on what size chainring would be a good balance for going up and coming down?
    So think of the front chain ring choice like this-

26t = 33t
    27t = 34t
    28t = 35t
    29t = 36t
    30t = 37t
    31t = 38t
    32t = 39t

These are rough #'s BTW. But close enough.

The cool part is when you look at the other side- when running a 29t in the front, and a 9t-36t 10 speed cassette. You are climbing a 29- 36 and your fast gear feels normal (like a 36t). Without the front derailleur. No shifting in the front and more ground clearance with your chainguide or ring.

The 150x12's are out now- with the 9 speed, 9-26t cassettes from Shimano.

The 142x12 (convertible to 135) and QR 135's are coming in a couple of months-
    As well as the 10 speed conversion kits- ( the bottom four cogs 9-11, 13-16. matching to any 11-36t 10 speed cassettes)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    So think of the front chain ring choice like this-

26t = 33t
    27t = 34t
    28t = 35t
    29t = 36t
    30t = 37t
    31t = 38t
    32t = 39t

These are rough #'s BTW. But close enough.

The cool part is when you look at the other side- when running a 29t in the front, and a 9t-36t 10 speed cassette. You are climbing a 29- 36 and your fast gear feels normal (like a 36t). Without the front derailleur. No shifting in the front and more ground clearance with your chainguide or ring.

The 150x12's are out now- with the 9 speed, 9-26t cassettes from Shimano.

The 142x12 (convertible to 135) and QR 135's are coming in a couple of months-
    As well as the 10 speed conversion kits- ( the bottom four cogs 9-11, 13-16. matching to any 11-36t 10 speed cassettes)

Could you paint a picture on how the guide might be adapted for anyone wanting to run a front ring 32t and under? I'm guessing spiderless....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Could you paint a picture on how the guide might be adapted for anyone wanting to run a front ring 32t and under? I'm guessing spiderless....
    It seems so:
    Singletrack Magazine | Interbike 2011: MRP and White Bros

7MGTE
    Yes, spiderless is the ticket.

Aluminum Spiderless Chainrings

mtbr member
    A custom Straitline Silent Guide would make this all even better! Moto style without those cheap bearings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLD80 View Post
    Are you building up the ONE?
    Built it up last year...

mtbr member
    Can anyone in the know possibly elaborate on some of the finer points of the hub? eg, number of pawl and engagement points, hub & cassette body material, serviceability. Wondering if there will be color options??

Off the subject a little, what I do find interesting is that none of the current C Bros frame lineup has a 142mm rear spacing. Is this suggesting that maybe at least One of their 2012 frames will be boasting a wider ares-end??
    Last edited by bigcrs; 02-21-2012 at 09:16 PM.

beater
    I am very interested in hearing more about the Canfield micro guide. I have a 28t spiderless ring ordered from HBC that will show up sometime this fiscal year, from what I read about the delivery times. It sounds like Canfield and MRP are the only companies that have recognized the market for this.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What about Road options, did they mention if they had plans for that?

mtbr member
    Can anyone in the know possibly elaborate on some of the finer points of the hub? eg, number of pawl and engagement points, hub & cassette body material, serviceability. Wondering if there will be color options??

Off the subject a little, what I do find interesting is that none of the current C Bros frame lineup has a 142mm rear spacing. Is this suggesting that maybe at least One of their 2012 frames will be boasting a wider ass-end??

Can someone from Canfield's please answer some of the above questions.

mtbr member
    Any pic's and/or info on the 150x12's that are available??

mtbr member
    Can someone from Canfield's please answer some of the above questions.
    From a email with Sean the other day, it looks like to 2012 "ONE" will have removable spacers in the rear to go fromm 135 x12 to a 142x12mm configuration. Too bad the 2011 don't, would make finding factory wheelsets easier....
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...psb5c701c1.jpg

Canfield Brothers

A 9t Hub tear down video

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks for that. The more info the better.

Got anymore vid's, say on the micro guide? Pic's would be fine as well

I just had a thought, do you think you might offer 9t wheelsets?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How many pawls and how much freeplay before engagement?

Canfield Brothers
    3 Pawls, 30 points so every 12 degrees engagement.

MRP's Micro guide is a G2 SL chainguide with a smaller back plate. Same plastic guides.

No plans right now for full built wheels with the 9t but we have been talking about it. Maybe next year.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    3 Pawls, 30 points so every 12 degrees engagement.

MRP's Micro guide is a G2 SL chainguide with a smaller back plate. Same plastic guides.

No plans right now for full built wheels with the 9t but we have been talking about it. Maybe next year.

Whats the chance for the Micro Guide being available before the release of the hub? I wouldn't mind spinning a 28t now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am interested int he 135x9 rear hub for trail bike duties. It would be ideal if it could compete weight wise with the lighter hubs out there and perform comparably engagement wise. I think the real market for these is in running a 28 or 30 tooth front single and a big range rear cassette in trail bike fashion. I would love to drop my double but there are still times when I am thankful for that low gearing

I know Lance is running this stup on his hardtail and waiting for all the parts to be released to do something similar on my Enduro.

mtbr member
    Yep, I have a lump of cash put aside for when these components are released, I'm due for a new wheel set and the Micro Drive and Guide will be part of build. I'll be running a 28t front end, I think it'll work well the One's platform. I'm not too worried about weight of the hub, though I suspect it will be around the 350-450g mark. The hubs rotation multiplier is not a factor in my books.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast