Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503

    messed up my canfield one 2011 build, bought a 142x12mm rear

    i wasnt concentrating and I pulled up the 2012 manual and ordered a rear 142x12mm wheel with other stuff too

    but I own a 2011, which has a 135x12mm

    is there any piece or conversion from canfield to make my bike accept 142x12mm or i can convert the wheel to 135x10mm too (but not 135x12mm)

    obviously I could buy a 2012 one frame but that is some major $$$

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    what brand of rear hub?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503
    DT swiss ex1750

    I was very limited in choice because I am putting the new XX1 stuff on it

    this is the exact wheelset

    DT Swiss - EX 1750

    I guess my other choice is to find another rear wheel that is 135x12 that has the freehub thing that accepts 135x12,

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    you can convert the rear hub to 135mmx10mm bolt thru

    http://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/Ima..._Kit_Style.pdf

    you just swap out the end caps on the hub

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503
    right i saw that 135x10mm kit

    but how do i get it into the one then? because the canfield one is 135x12mm?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    right i saw that 135x10mm kit

    but how do i get it into the one then? because the canfield one is 135x12mm?
    ther are 135mmx12mm end caps as well but it looks like you need and axle on that setup too. your lbs should be able to hook you up with what you need. it is definitely doable and you can easily sell the x12 stuff too

    this is the part number for the kit. HWYXXX0001287S

    Universal Cycles -- DT Swiss Hub and Wheel Conversion Kits

    they have it at universal cycles, it's $35

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503
    I think what is complicating things is I have this:

    DT Swiss Freehub Body for SRAM XX1

    DT Swiss XX1 Mountain freehub body for use with SRAM XX1 is compatible with DT Swiss 180/190/240/ 350 hubs.

    135 x5mm QR
    135x10mm Thru Bolt
    142x12mm Thru Axle

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    I think what is complicating things is I have this:

    DT Swiss Freehub Body for SRAM XX1

    DT Swiss XX1 Mountain freehub body for use with SRAM XX1 is compatible with DT Swiss 180/190/240/ 350 hubs.

    135 x5mm QR
    135x10mm Thru Bolt
    142x12mm Thru Axle
    ok, then that looks like it complicates things. didn't know you were going 11 speed. you can convert it to 135mmx12mm but only in 10 speed by the looks of it. then you'd need the freehub body and axle kit or get the 142mm end caps and machine 3.5mm of each one to bring it down to 135mm

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503
    so i did a good job of screwing myself lol

    now I pretty much have to buy a new frame, or find a rear wheel that can take the XX1 but that is 135x12mm. The wheel would be a much cheaper route

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    so i did a good job of screwing myself lol

    now I pretty much have to buy a new frame, or find a rear wheel that can take the XX1 but that is 135x12mm
    personally i'd just do the end cap machining. easy and cheap by any machine shop. or drill out the 10mm end caps to 12mm.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503
    hmmm I dont quite follow you

    you saying I can buy the 135 x 10mm kit

    and then have a machine shop do work on it?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    hmmm I dont quite follow you

    you saying I can buy the 135 x 10mm kit

    and then have a machine shop do work on it?
    yes. they can either take off 3.5mm for each adapter to bring the overall length down to 135mm on the 12mmx142mm kit or you drill out the 10mmx135mm adapters to 12mm

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,258
    It looks to me like that chart (second-to-last column on the rear wheel page) is saying pn HWYXXX0001287S is your baby for a 135x12mm TA.
    And the universal link has that part, universal item #17013-74916 for $35.

    am I missing something? Surely one of you saw that?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503
    the complication is the freehub thingie for the XX1 only accepts 135x10mm or 142x12mm

    you guys think there is any chance

    1) canfield will sell me the whole back triangle piece from a 2012 the one frame if they even do that, because the 2012 the one frame is 142x12mm
    2) even if they sell just that piece what are the odds of it fitting the 2011 frame correctly

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    672
    I'm riding today with a buddy that has a 2012 One. I'll do so measurements and compare the rear end to my 2011.

    After just looking at both the 11 & 12 geo sheets I'd bet that a '12 triangle would work with the '11 front end. The only thing I can see that mightn't work is if the linkage differs from '11 to '12.

    The other option would be to send the hub back, and get a Microdrive! My micro setup has been superb.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    It looks to me like that chart (second-to-last column on the rear wheel page) is saying pn HWYXXX0001287S is your baby for a 135x12mm TA.
    And the universal link has that part, universal item #17013-74916 for $35.

    am I missing something? Surely one of you saw that?
    it is the xx1 style rear hub. only these adapters are available for it

    DT Swiss - Rotor kits MTB

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    it is the xx1 style rear hub. only these adapters are available for it

    DT Swiss - Rotor kits MTB


    got it, that chart isn't valid for the XX1 version of the freehub.

    Still, from looking at the pictures of the various conversion kits, It sure looks like the 12x135 version would work, even though DT doesn't say so. Enough that if it were me, I'd get one and try it. Even if not, I'd machine off the 3.5mm from the 142 caps before I'd buy a new rear end.

    For replacing the rear, It's pretty easy to get ahold of someone who knows if it's possible at Canfield, Why not just give them a call.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    got it, that chart isn't valid for the XX1 version of the freehub.

    Still, from looking at the pictures of the various conversion kits, It sure looks like the 12x135 version would work, even though DT doesn't say so. Enough that if it were me, I'd get one and try it. Even if not, I'd machine off the 3.5mm from the 142 caps before I'd buy a new rear end.

    For replacing the rear, It's pretty easy to get ahold of someone who knows if it's possible at Canfield, Why not just give them a call.
    personally i'd just drill out the 10mmx135mm adapters. pretty simple to do and like you said, much easier and cheaper than sourcing a new wheel or rear end.
    Last edited by qbert2000; 12-17-2012 at 08:42 AM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    158
    I needed to convert a DT rear hub from 142 12mm back to 135 QR. Their chart didn't show it but I called DT Swiss USA and they set me straight on the appropriate part.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503
    woot!

    called DT swiss, they said they specially machined a batch of 135x12 end caps for XD for idiots such as me who read the wrong manuals (well they didnt put it in those words)

    they are shipping them to me FREE

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    woot!

    called DT swiss, they said they specially machined a batch of 135x12 end caps for XD for idiots such as me who read the wrong manuals (well they didnt put it in those words)

    they are shipping them to me FREE
    congratulations. that saved you some hassle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •