mtbr member
    Nov 2010

love my Yellie-- but cant keep the front wheel down on steep climbs--what do do???

recent I put stans flow ex wide rims on my yellie, went tubless, and I love how it rides. front tire is a specialized purgatory, rear is a conti mountain king. 120mm fork. short 60mm fork slammed low with no spacers, and the seat is admittedly pushed back a bit since when I climb I scoot up anyways and I feel its better for the knees being back

so does anything jump out as a big problem, if I hit a climb that is over 15% in any area, its near impossible to keep the front down. it wanders all over

I love everything else about this bike, but the wandering nose on steep climbs. wish the head angle was like 2 degrees steeper

another thought, the rear wheel conti mountain king is sort of small, would a bigger rear wheel help much?

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    oops, a bit more info incase it helps - I am 6'1 with a 35inch+ inseam and riding a large. with the seat post angle at only like 70.5 degrees, maybe I need to move the seat foreward a bit???

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do you have a setback seatpost?

I love my Yelli, and it's geared with a Fox34 at 150mm and a single 32t chainring. In-line seatpost.
    I climb steep trails standing and mashing, and the bike has great traction and great control.
    Slack angles and short stays are not the best you can have for climbing seated grinding short gears.

Try to move the seat forward a bit, it will help for sure.

The White Jeff W

Re: love my Yellie- but cant keep the front wheel down on steep climbs--what do do???

Im 6'3" on an XL. 140 mm fork/70 mm stem on mine. Every once in awhile I notice the front gets a little light on the steepest climbs but I just lean forward a bit more and it settles down. Same when standing. I just move my weight around until I find that sweet spot between keeping both ends planted and keep crankin'
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a standard style dropper post, to me a must with this bike

but I hear ya on mashing, I end up doing that also-- but sitting and spinning is better for longer climbs. I moved the seat foreward just a bit so we will see if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Do you have a setback seatpost?

I love my Yelli, and it's geared with a Fox34 at 150mm and a single 32t chainring. In-line seatpost.
    I climb steep trails standing and mashing, and the bike has great traction and great control.
    Slack angles and short stays are not the best you can have for climbing seated grinding short gears.

Try to move the seat forward a bit, it will help for sure.

mtbr member
    It's all about technique IMO. I have no problem climbing my Honzo at 140mm, bars slammed, 50mm stem and a dropper. Climbs like a goat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    scooting up helps, but scooting up hurts. I don't know who likes sitting on the nose of the seat. I slid it forward a bit, ill see if that does it

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    5'10" Medium frame, 150 Pike, 70mm 0' stem, 790 Loaded bar.
    Climb with no problem, It's all about technique

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

R: love my Yellie-- but cant keep the front wheel down on steep climbs--what do do???

I measured my yelly's head angle, 66 deg with the fox at 150mm. Measured with my smartphone, but it looks like a nice number to me. And the bike rides great, both uphill and downhill.

The White Jeff W

Re: love my Yellie--but cant keep the front wheel down on steep climbs--what do do???

Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    I measured my yelly's head angle, 66 deg with the fox at 150mm. Measured with my smartphone, but it looks like a nice number to me. And the bike rides great, both uphill and downhill.
    Sounds about right. Mine is 67* with a 140mm measured with a protractor.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    guys, i moved the seat forward 1-2cm - into the middle area as it was pushed all the way back. Bingo - most of the problem fixed. Also tilted the seat down more, much better

thanks all