mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Looking at a Riot...questions

I've had numerous N9's and am considering a Riot.

I mostly ride SS but occasionally put gears on. My trails are quick ups and downs and don't really "require" FS, but I've been thinking about keeping the N9 setup SS and then have a Riot with gears.

1. I've read that the Riot has a good pedaling platform with minimal bob for a non-lockout rear susp. Is this true? How good is it? I don't expect to stand while climbing and expect some movement while sitting and spinning.

2. My N9 with a DVO is plenty for our local trails. I've never been a big FS guy but I like the idea of having two complete bikes with Canfield geo. And it makes sense to have the N9 SS and the gears on the FS. Plus I like the descriptions of the rear suspension on the Riot with the pedaling platform. I'm also getting older so having an FS might be a good thing.

3. I'm looking at one with the Raw finish. How much maitenance does this require to keep it in the shiny half of the spectrum? I don't need it took look like chrome, but I don't want it to look like dull grey like some do. Is the finish smooth to the touch? Does it get "chalky" feeling if you don't keep it up? Is it clear coated from the factory?

4. Does it fit B+ wheels? Something like 35mm Arcs with 2.8's.

5. I have most of the parts to build a complete bike with the exception of a fork. I'm not really excited about buying another fork (spoiled by my DVO) so I thought about swapping the DVO between the two bikes until I decide if I really like the Riot. At which point I could get a second fork. This defeats the purpose of having two complete bikes but might be a good temp solution. Anybody swap forks between two bikes? Realistic or were you cursing it after the first time you had to swap before a ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    I've had numerous N9's and am considering a Riot.

I mostly ride SS but occasionally put gears on. My trails are quick ups and downs and don't really "require" FS, but I've been thinking about keeping the N9 setup SS and then have a Riot with gears.

1. I've read that the Riot has a good pedaling platform with minimal bob for a non-lockout rear susp. Is this true? How good is it? I don't expect to stand while climbing and expect some movement while sitting and spinning.

1a. Pedal platform is great. Utilize the cane Creek app to tune your DB air.

2. My N9 with a DVO is plenty for our local trails. I've never been a big FS guy but I like the idea of having two complete bikes with Canfield geo. And it makes sense to have the N9 SS and the gears on the FS. Plus I like the descriptions of the rear suspension on the Riot with the pedaling platform. I'm also getting older so having an FS might be a good thing.

2a. The riot is like riding a couch compared to the N9. The part that surprised me about the riot is how well the rear end tracks when you are climbing techy stuff. I had a N9 then the riot and I just added the EPO. The Canfield Geo is even better on the riot.

3. I'm looking at one with the Raw finish. How much maitenance does this require to keep it in the shiny half of the spectrum? I don't need it took look like chrome, but I don't want it to look like dull grey like some do. Is the finish smooth to the touch? Does it get "chalky" feeling if you don't keep it up? Is it clear coated from the factory?

3a. Go black anodized. The raw sucks to take care of. Steel wool makes it look great for a few weeks then you gotta do it all over again. I wish I did black.

4. Does it fit B+ wheels? Something like 35mm Arcs with 2.8's.

I run nox farlow (29 external width) with 2.8s. You can sneak a 3.0 in there but it's too much tire. 2.8 is best.

5. I have most of the parts to build a complete bike with the exception of a fork. I'm not really excited about buying another fork (spoiled by my DVO) so I thought about swapping the DVO between the two bikes until I decide if I really like the Riot. At which point I could get a second fork. This defeats the purpose of having two complete bikes but might be a good temp solution. Anybody swap forks between two bikes? Realistic or were you cursing it after the first time you had to swap before a ride?

5a. I have the dvo and honestly I've been very impressed with the pike. Swapping would be a pain in the ass. If it makes you feel any better I paid $2150 for the frame. Take your savings and buy a fork.
    See the comments above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    1: it works really well. i've used the CS on the db air and the climb on the now monarch a handful of times when i am on a fireroad, never actually on trail. middle monarch mode and fork when i want to go mach chicken and feel like i'm an ews rider.

otherwise, 99.99% of the time i'm open all the time and it is the engine that is the issue far beyond the bike.

3: i disagree. my raw finish looks as new as the day i bought it. I did polish mine but wouldn't do it again. if i clean it, looks brand new. the anno black catches a rock or chain slap , you'd see it.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in since I came from the N9. Best decision I ever made! While I loved the N9, I wasn't able to keep 2 bikes in the basement (wife). So...to answer your questions....

1. The pedaling platform is awesome. I live in VA and my local trail system is full of everything. Short ups and downs, chunky, flow, drops, etc. The Riot climbs great, but if you ever stand and mash on the N9, the support won't be the same on the Riot. Obviously. However, there is a climb switch on the CCDBair or Topaz which helps. In all honesty, unless i'm climbing a big fire road in Shenandoah or Pisgah...it's always open.

2. Not sure what the question was for this one, but yes having a SS and a fully geared gives you good options for different days.

3. I have the RAW and after about 6 months it started to develop the chalky look that you described. In saying that, I took some Steel Wool to it and I'm pissed I didn't do it earlier. The bike just looks awesome now. I'd say halfway between RAW and Chrome at this point, very VERY smooth to the touch. My advice would be to do this right off the bat when you open the box with no parts on it. You won't regret it.

4. Yes it fits B+. My N9 was B+ so naturally I just converted everything over. I had asym i35 wheels with Rekon+ 2.8 in the back and DHR II 2.8 up front. However, I upgraded to carbon 29er rims and enjoy it much more as a 29er.

5. I didn't swap forks, but to be honest there are some really REALLY good options out there now. I have my 2016 Fox 34 on now and I like it, but wouldn't hesitate to toss a 36 or the new MRP Coil on there now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    I'll chime in since I came from the N9. Best decision I ever made! While I loved the N9, I wasn't able to keep 2 bikes in the basement (wife). So...to answer your questions....

1. The pedaling platform is awesome. I live in VA and my local trail system is full of everything. Short ups and downs, chunky, flow, drops, etc. The Riot climbs great, but if you ever stand and mash on the N9, the support won't be the same on the Riot. Obviously. However, there is a climb switch on the CCDBair or Topaz which helps. In all honesty, unless i'm climbing a big fire road in Shenandoah or Pisgah...it's always open.

2. Not sure what the question was for this one, but yes having a SS and a fully geared gives you good options for different days.

3. I have the RAW and after about 6 months it started to develop the chalky look that you described. In saying that, I took some Steel Wool to it and I'm pissed I didn't do it earlier. The bike just looks awesome now. I'd say halfway between RAW and Chrome at this point, very VERY smooth to the touch. My advice would be to do this right off the bat when you open the box with no parts on it. You won't regret it.

4. Yes it fits B+. My N9 was B+ so naturally I just converted everything over. I had asym i35 wheels with Rekon+ 2.8 in the back and DHR II 2.8 up front. However, I upgraded to carbon 29er rims and enjoy it much more as a 29er.

5. I didn't swap forks, but to be honest there are some really REALLY good options out there now. I have my 2016 Fox 34 on now and I like it, but wouldn't hesitate to toss a 36 or the new MRP Coil on there now.
    Co, do you break down the bike when you steel wool the frame??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Co, do you break down the bike when you steel wool the frame??

I thought about it, but was doing it while watching a game and drinking beer. So...no. I did get creative with cloths and a shop vac to prevent the fine shavings from going everywhere.