mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Longish stem(around 70mm) on The One?

So I'm thinking of trying a longer stem on my One for "all-mountain" riding, trails I have to pedal up essentially to go down. I was right in between the med and large frame sizes, I'm 5'11.5", and ended going with the med. I am running a 55mm stem at the moment which is great for downhill. But uphill it feels cramped, especially if I want to stand and pedal. I could add spacers to the stem, which would allow me not to be hunched over, but it would bring the reach back some, and 55mm stem for me is already on the short side of comfortable for me. I'm thinking of trying a 70-75mm stem. I know 70 isn't necessarily considered long, but it seems bikes with the geo of The One are typically setup with around a 50mm stem. The other problem is I have a 1.5 steerer tube, so used stems are tough to find, especially longer stems. So I would have to buy new most likely rather than testing a cheap used stem. Befor I drop the cash on a new stem, I'm wondering is there any One owners running a stem around this length and what its effect on handling has been compared to a smaller stem

mtbr member
    There are times I wish someone made something like a dropper post for stems. I guess travel adjustable forks do that to some degree...

I have, I think it's 60mm stem on my One. It's still one of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden, for whatever that's worth. It does exactly what you'd expect, slows things down a little when out of the saddle, moves me forward a little when seated. You are only talking 1.5-2cm so the effects (good and bad) aren't going to be dramatic.

Might be worth rotating your bar forward a bit, so the rise effectively becomes reach, as a temporary test to see if you like the position.

mtbr member
    What rise do you have one your bars? if you have a decent rise you could roll them forward little to "gain" some length...
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK