mtbr member

long-ish term review of my '12 Canfield The One

I just posted up a in-depth review of my 2012 The One in the DH/FR forum. When I was researching the bike, I struggled to find detailed information on The One other than the usual 'It pedals really well.' I am completely sold on the bike now, but I had to take a bit of a leap of faith when ordering as I had never ridden the bike before. That was a bit scary to drop a lot of money on it sight unseen, and I'd bet others are just as hesitant as I was. I thought it might help those that are looking for more info on the bike to have a detailed review, so I wrote one. I hope it helps those that are on the fence to go for it and make the purchase. The One is an unbelievably good bike.

Here's the link:
    Long-ish term review: Canfield The One
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Very nicely written review
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the review, I'm in the same situation as to wanting this frame but have no way of demoing it first. I actually bought a 2012 frame but was waiting for delivery when I had family situation come up and had to cancel my order. Sean at Canfield was very understanding and refunded me no problem (great customer service). Your review just makes me want one even more when the time is right. Just for a little background, I'm riding an Ellsworth Epiphany (I read you didn't like Ellsworth) and I'm looking for more downhill confidence but I also like to or really need to do a lot of climbing where I live. Do you thinnk The ONE may be overkill If i do a lot of climbing? I do enjoy the descent's!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Do you thinnk The ONE may be overkill If i do a lot of climbing? I do enjoy the descent's!
    You can either have a bike that climbs REALLY well (a light hardtail or XC FS), or a bike that descends REALLY well (a full-on DH rig). The One does both WELL.

mtbr member
    yeah, I didn't really care for the few Ellsworths I have ridden. No offense to the Ellsworth fans/company at all, it just wasn't a good fit for me. Same with Konas. I was constantly chasing the ideal suspension setting, and the best I could get was a middle ground that was neither stellar at climbing nor descending.

It's hard to describe exactly, but The One has a 'different' feel to it while climbing. At least to me it feels different. It almost feels slow, until i look at my watch and realize I'm climbing very quickly. You won't be disappointed on the climbs at all, as long as you're realistic. It will take more effort to climb the One than a 24lb xc bike. But if you compare it to the more burly AM bikes on the market now, It will climb as good as any of them, and I'd put money on that. I frequently do a ride near my home that has a fairly steep and consistent climb for nearly half a mile. I hate it, but it's mandatory. The One doesn't feel very fast while I pedal, but the timer doesn't lie. I am faster on it than my last bike that weighed less and had a 'better' climbing geometry. You are going to add a few lbs to your bike weight with the One, but that would be true of any bike built for that kind of terrain. The weight of the bike is easily kept in the low 30s, and the pedaling doesn't suffer.

When you are again financially able, I say go for it. As long as you realize that you're getting a bike that goes from AM to DH, and not XC to DH, you will not regret the purchase at all. It is soooo much fun!
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great write up and review "Charging_Rhinos". This type of information and bike comparisons really help riders work in the right direction towards the best equipment for them! We're all happy to help and actually get excited to talk "bike" anytime!!