mtbr member
    Jan 2012

King or Cane Creek For My YS Headset?

I'm in the home stretch for my parts list for my YS build. A few more pieces to go. I'm looking at headsets now, and the 2 mentioned in the title are my choices. I have a King on my Niner Jet 9, so I'm a little partial. What model of these two should I be looking at that will match well with the YS using a tapered steer tube?
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    I used the crane creek zs (zero stack) 40, for the top and the crane creek XX 1.5 bottom. I bought both pieces a la carte from pricepoint.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    I used the crane creek zs (zero stack) 40, for the top and the crane creek XX 1.5 bottom. I bought both pieces a la carte from pricepoint.com.

Thanks riiz,

Just to be clear, are these the items you referred to?

Cane Creek 40 Zero Stack Top at Price Point

Cane Creek Lower Headset Assembly at Price Point.......XXc ZSII

Cane Creek 1.5-Inch Starnut at Price Point

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    You are correct on the top half, I went with the tall btw. But the bottom half I went with the normal or non-ZS bottom, which I dont see available. The bottom half of this kit, which I was able to find on JensonUSA, Cane Creek S3/XXII Tapered Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA

And you will not need the 1.5 star-nut, the top-half of a tapered steerer uses the 1 1/8" nut that is supplied with the top headset kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    You are correct on the top half, I went with the tall btw. But the bottom half I went with the normal or non-ZS bottom, which I dont see available. The bottom half of this kit, which I was able to find on JensonUSA, Cane Creek S3/XXII Tapered Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA

And you will not need the 1.5 star-nut, the top-half of a tapered steerer uses the 1 1/8" nut that is supplied with the top headset kit.

Much thanks again riiz. I went ahead and purchased it from Jenson along with another item, and saved money in the process that I can use on something else.