Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

To Keep The One or not?

With the Balance shipping soon how many of you The ONE owners are keeping your Ones? Just curious because I am having a hard time thinking I could sell mine. (post pics if you feel the need to keep The Ones alive)

To Keep The One or not?-s780_myone2014.jpg
    Last edited by socalfyre; 06-19-2014 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by socalfyre View Post
    With the Balance shipping soon how many of you The ONE owners are keeping your Ones? Just curious because I am having a hard time thinking I could sell mine. (post pics if you feel the need to keep The Ones alive)
    Selling mine, a 2011 Medium. Picked up a Jedi and I also picked up a Pivot Mach 6. I loved my The One but the Mach 6 covers most of its range and then some, while the Jedi handles all the DH capability.

mtbr member
    I don't feel like a 160mm bike is up to everything I ask my One to do, yet I don't do enough unearned DH to justify a full-on DH bike that can't really be ridden uphill. The One is [was] pretty much the only player in that game - big enough that it doesn't really hold me back on DH, but can be pedaled to the top.

Your bike sucks
    I'm a late comer w/ the One - just riding it this season but no plans to sell it. As Joules said, the bike is amazingly capable at the DH/resort - esp if you are not a dedicated DHer. Totally surprised me when I brought it to Angel Fire this year - pretty much in trail kit mode too. For me, the One really satisfies for trail session to DH. Probably not my bike of choice for high country epics...in that spectrum some of the new 150/160 bikes are more appealing as an aggressive all rounder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I too am late to the party, got my 2012 One a month or so ago. I figured now was the time to use my old 26" stuff on it since it seems to hold a niche that have few other players (versatility and options) and the geo is pretty similar to current (mostly 275) offerings. Plan to get a lighter, shorter WB 5-6" 275 trail bike next year for the longer rides, but this has been such a blast so far on trail/AM rides and park sessions that I'm in no rush. Honeymoon mode, maybe. Pic below, 33lb with Lyrik 170 coil, reverb stealth and 2X drivetrain. What's not to like
    To Keep The One or not?-dsc02963-c.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    To Keep The One or not?-p4pb10910366.jpg

This is my 3rd ONE. It has my dream build for ALL mountain biking... I can, and have ridden this bike on 30+ mile rides. I have also taken it to our DH shuttle spots as well as the resorts. It feels at home in any situation. Other people on our rides are messing with their suspension switches and lockouts, not me. The ONE stays in the same settings regardless of what I'm riding and that's what I love about it. It's a DH bike that climbs great..

While I am confident the Balance will be a great bike, I have worries that it won't be the "DH bike" that I love about the ONE. I am VERY interested in trying out something with a 650b platform, but I don't want to give up my ONE for it.

Such a pickle...

Oh I almost forgot.. This is a 33lb build with full coil suspension and a Reverb

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just sold my One to get the Balance. Had a hard time deciding as the One was the best bike Iv'e ever ridden, but the pics of Lance launching the Balance peeked my interest!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am debating making the switch from the One also. I already have a DH bike and feel like the One would be a more enjoyable ride on the situations where I typically end up taking my One. Black Rocks, OR, Jackson Hole, or when my trail bike is out of commission. I love the One but the debate roils in my head.

mtbr member
    hell no... not selling my ONE.... it has been built from trail to am to dh multiple different times... just built up a jedi over the winter and put the ONE back as a trail slayer.... I plan on getting the Balance to ride local trail and XC and put the ONE together as a dh/park bike for my buddies to ride....have to spread the Canfield stoke!!!!!!
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been having the same debate.
    My early (pre-2011) One is a heavy frame for the trail/AM riding I do, and its DH abilities are unlikely to ever be tapped by me.
    However, while I'd love a new Balance (especially if the frame proves to be significantly lighter) the resale on full bikes is horrible; frames are even worse.
    After multiple emails to Vin @ Canfield - with immediate, patient, and thoughtful replies - I've decided to currently keep riding my One. The extra weight will only make me stronger, right?
    09 Canfield Brothers - The One
    08 Cannondale Scalpel - SoBe Team Carbon frame

perpetual pucker factor
    The Balance looks fantastic, but my One has been put on active duty for life. The Balance just has so much overlap with the One that I can't justify getting an entirely new setup. New wheels, chain, headset, possibly fork, it just isn't worth the minute difference in rolling resistance of 650b right now. But the extra little bit of DH that the One has is enough for me to keep it. The One is such a fantastic bike, and to this day, nothing can compare to its capabilities. The old Delirium wanted to be like the One, as did many other bikes. But nothing else can pound DH like that, then pedal well on xc trails the next day day. The only way I'd even think of retiring her (never selling, mind you), would be if they came out with a 650B One that was a tad more DH-able than the Balance. And in that case, I'd build a shrine for my retired One in the living room. It would surely piss off the wife, but I don't care. Some things have just got to be done out of respect.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I bought a One frame last winter but unfortunately I still didn't manage to build it up... now debating on weather to build it (will not be before the end of the summer) or to sell it and get a Balance... my plan was to build an heavy duty all mountain rig, and the Balance woul probably be spot on, but I really like the burlyness of the One and I'd save some money keeping it.

I'm waiting for the 29er FS from Canfield too... my dream Canfield garage may get real with my Yelli Screamy, the One and the new Yelli Squishy....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I already have a Balance ordered but must say i miss my One and would like to have another built up more DH oriented so if any of you guys are on the fence about selling a medium '12+ frame let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Update: Sold my 2011 One on Pinkbike. Sad to see it go but stoked that new person can feel the Canfield stoke!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Oh I almost forgot.. This is a 33lb build with full coil suspension and a Reverb
    amazing build, I always liked the one piece rocker on the One

mtbr member
    To Keep The One or not?-p4pb9949233.jpg

I don't see myself getting rid of my 2012 The One anytime soon if ever. As others have mentioned, I'm more likely to retire it to my wall than sell it.

I'm starting to ponder my next ride, something to complement the one. Definitely a 27.5 or 29 to get some variety. The Balance looks awesome but too much overlap with the One to make sense. Maybe something like the Tallboy or new WFO 9. If Canfield is listening - fill this category, make it in my size, and I will buy
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtnord View Post
    Maybe something like the Tallboy or new WFO 9. If Canfield is listening - fill this category, make it in my size, and I will buy
    Second that! If someone would make something to compete with a Carbine 29 (slack; I just don't get the combination of travel/intended use and head angles on the Tallboy LT or WFO), yet big enough to fit an adult, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

To me, now the worst thing about the One is I keep thinking about what if I get rear-ended with it on the car, there's no way to replace it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Second that! If someone would make something to compete with a Carbine 29 (slack; I just don't get the combination of travel/intended use and head angles on the Tallboy LT or WFO), yet big enough to fit an adult, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    +1.
    I know the Bros have a 29" FS in the works and I'm confident it will be what I'm looking for... I just hope it could hit the market before the end of the year.

Your bike sucks
    I'm probably thinking along the same lines.. My ideal:

-> keep the The One as a lift-serve and aggressive riding/down machine - superb in that regard
    -> *and* compliment it with something that is not as DH capable but had good geo and can be pedaled effectively

Absolutely love my bike and it pedals really good if you are not really getting after it (eg: more even, steady pace up) but I can't match the acceleration and efficiency of the lighter and lesser travel bikes that put more of a priority on those features.

For me, the Balance makes sense if I was going to have the single do it all bike.
    However, probably get more range if I had say: the One & a Burner/Bronson/Mach 6/TallBoyLT/Carbine/etc

mtbr member

To Keep The One or not?

The new WFO 9 is at 66-67 HTA which is why its currently the most attractive for me. BUT the XL TTL doesnt work as a pedal bike. I dont want to run a set back post and a 70+mm stem. I thought 29ers were supposed to be geared towards taller guys!
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

perpetual pucker factor
    To me, now the worst thing about the One is I keep thinking about what if I get rear-ended with it on the car, there's no way to replace it.
    So true!! I think about that all the time. I'm headed up to Whistler in a few weeks, and 3500 miles of driving is plenty of time for some idiot to try and kill my baby.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

dft
    mtbr member
    just another shout out for my one.
    i have in it heavy DH mode (boxxer, 823s with DH tires), its high 30's in weight.
    its my "big" bike as i have a banshee rune for AM riding. I love it as a DH/freeride bike. i only hit resorts ~ 5-6 days a year, 2-3 days of shuttling but our local trails are very steep so i like it on those also (still not that bad to pedal it around). my guess is it ~64 HA.

ps. i had a knolly podium as that was certainly great for resort riding, but i didn't do enough of pure DH for that bike. the one doesn't feel like it gives up much on the DH.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I made the decision to sell off my One. I have been going back and forth in my head on keeping it or not and have literally changed my mind a dozen times. I have a Jedi though for the lift stuff and the Balance looks so capable as well as more enjoyable on the less rowdy trails that my One will get ridden on from time to time. I will be pulling off the parts this weekend and putting it up for sale. Will be sad but opens the door to new relationships. Sometimes you just have to move on...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I made the decision to sell off my One. I have been going back and forth in my head on keeping it or not and have literally changed my mind a dozen times. I have a Jedi though for the lift stuff and the Balance looks so capable as well as more enjoyable on the less rowdy trails that my One will get ridden on from time to time. I will be pulling off the parts this weekend and putting it up for sale. Will be sad but opens the door to new relationships. Sometimes you just have to move on...
    Let me know size,color and how much you are asking for it, I might be interested Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNomadRider View Post
    Let me know size,color and how much you are asking for it, I might be interested Thanks
    pm sent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast