biking is fun

Jedi shock position, Which one do you like best?

I have tried the middle and the progressive setting and have found they are pretty different. The middle felt pretty stable and ate up the bumps better but lacked pop, whereas the progressive had a ton more pop, was a little more harsh, and would buck a bit off the jumps if I wasn't paying attention.

What setting are you running and what others have you tried?

Include the following if you would:

Weight:
    Riding sytle: (FR, DH, Race)
    Shock:
    which setting you like best and why.

I am thinking of going back to the middle setting since the progressive setting was a little sketchy on some of the bigger jumps. They are harder to clear in the middle but felt way more predictable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Are you changing springs when you change settings?, or giving it more preload? I kept it in the top mount for the most part all summer. I typically like a bike that rides higher in its travel most of the time but Chris Canfield suggested I try the lower setting. I bumped up my spring rate by 50lbs the same time I purchased a new shock (Avy DHS) to give the lower setting a good go. I do feel it support me a little more through the corners and it is more supple off the top. It does feel like it eats the travel more but I think I can properly tune it with the DHS to get the feel I want and like the lower setting more in the end.

******ed or Branded??
    Progressive is which, top or bottom?
    Well this is what I have. Haven't change it besides just spring weight
    210lb
    DH
    CCDB with a 450lb
    bottom setting.
    Chris told me which is which now can't remember for the life of me. All I know if I go up on settings I need to go lighter in spring. So I am guessing the progressive setting is on the top. Hope this makes sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bottom setting is most progressive and most travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    Bottom setting is most progressive and most travel.
    Hey aenema, can you throw up a pic of how you mounted the remote resi for the DHS? Can you also post the resi hose length you choose? TIA.

I've got a Woodie and am toying w/ the idea of having Craig remove the Woodie's hard resi mount and going to a remote to access the lower mount/progressive hole.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I'm in the top hole...the most linear setting I suppose. I'm limited there by the Woodie. I can go to the middle hole, but only if you put in some low speed compression as the slotted needle adjuster come very close to the frame's downtube. There's no way to get to the most progressive hole. In this position, the Jedi has no "pop" for slower speed take-offs. In comparison to my Tomac 204 which is a link'd single pivot and has a really progressive end of stroke, it is really easy to "pop" it off the tiniest lip. FYI, the Elka that came w/ my Jedi is on the Tomac. If the Woodie costs a kidney to convert to a DHS, I'll put the Elka back on the Jedi.

I'm 187 nekkid...so ~195ish geared up.
    I mostly ride Trestle which is on the FR side of things...mostly high speed jumpy flow trails w/ only one good techy steep DH trail.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey aenema, can you throw up a pic of how you mounted the remote resi for the DHS? Can you also post the resi hose length you choose? TIA.

I've got a Woodie and am toying w/ the idea of having Craig remove the Woodie's hard resi mount and going to a remote to access the lower mount/progressive hole.
    Yeah, at work now and leaving for a trip right after. If I have time to snap and upload a pic before hitting the road I will totally do so. If not, it will be Monday when I return. Overall, I wasn't really super happy with the mounting of the res but it works, is out of the way enough and I have convenient access to the adjustments. Just not as clean as I would want but the front triangle design makes that, I think, impossible. I get access to the different mounting positions though so a decent tradeoff.

mtbr member
    Yeah, at work now and leaving for a trip right after. If I have time to snap and upload a pic before hitting the road I will totally do so. If not, it will be Monday when I return. Overall, I wasn't really super happy with the mounting of the res but it works, is out of the way enough and I have convenient access to the adjustments. Just not as clean as I would want but the front triangle design makes that, I think, impossible. I get access to the different mounting positions though so a decent tradeoff.
    Thank you much! No hurry on this...the CO Front Range is about to get hit w/ another snow storm so no riding. I'm also in the process of re-shimming my Avy fork cart so the Jedi is completely down.
    If my thinking is correct, you prob have your resi mounted in but slightly outside of that little triangle in the front triangle, w/ a longish hose looped in a number "9" looking path? I did this w/ my '09 Karpiel Disco...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sorry for delay, I had forgotten and snapped a couple of cell phone pics. Didn't measure hose but still can, just snapped photos so I could post them up and if you need more info, I can get that to you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jedi shock position, Which one do you like best?-boise-city-20111224-00058.jpg  

Jedi shock position, Which one do you like best?-boise-city-20111224-00059.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sorry for delay, I had forgotten and snapped a couple of cell phone pics. Didn't measure hose but still can, just snapped photos so I could post them up and if you need more info, I can get that to you.
    Thanx for the pics!
    Can you tell me the length of the hose you picked to get the loop you've got there? TIA.

Edit: also looks like there's a possibility of a shorty hose...3 or 4" if the fitting is rotated fwd, yeah?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮