mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Jedi chain advice/help

Slapping my Jedi together and I can say this thing is so awesome. Anyway, I noticed a weird thing with the chain. When it is going around the upper idler pulley, every 2nd or 3rd link is not wrapping around the cog giving it a clunky feeling. I have only had it on the bike stand so far and the chain is brand new. When looking down the line all looks aligned. Could it be the chain needs breaking in? When i put a load on it, it is a bit smoother. I tried to get the chain as tight as I could so any help or guidance is appreciated.

Large Jedi
    2 of the skinny washers behind the MRP
    Truvativ Descedant cranks with supplied spacers, one on each side as stated in install instructions

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey buddy ! 9 or 10 speed ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It is a 10 speed with pg 1050 cassette and pc 1071 chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Any ideas? : crickets:

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    And if you back pedal slowly it in the stand the chain does not bind at all through the deraileur? Those are smaller rollers so if it was the chain you would notice it there before the pulley wheel. Is your frame new or did you get it used? Can you pull the pulley and make sure the teeth look fresh if it was used? The ti roller should last a long time but you never know once it is in the hand of people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When back pedaling it is worse and it is a new frame. I'm sure its the chain just don't know if it needs to be tighter or broken i or even if my chainline would effect that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    10 speed is a little tight on the current pulley. I do know that there are owners running 10 speed. I think some chains work better than others. Is this "friction" happening outside of the stand?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I currently can't get on the bike to check for the issue when ridden. But it seems to smooth out a bit when a load is on it. I never have seen this before but I am thinking it will go away once i get some proper rides on it. In the stand the bike shifts fine and runs through all the gears just a small hiccup with the chain. Hopefully i can give it a proper ride this weekend and see how she does.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If its just 1 small hiccup, check to make sure all the links are moving smooth. Its sounds silly and simple, but it is often the cause after breaking a chain apart or putting on a quick link...

A sticky or tight link can drive anyone mad!

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My 2012 Jedi did that also with a 10 speed setup. I tried a couple chains and checked everything over. Lance pretty much reassured me that it would be fine and get better with time. Practiced a little and raced it for the first time the other day, and I don't notice it anymore. Still hangs up a little if you pedal it backwards in the stand, but on course it works perfect. When the course is steep and rough, this bike is fast!!

mtbr member
    I think its a matter of chainline,
    I ran 10 spd on a large 2012 jedi with raceface fr cranks and g13 ring, no issues pedaling or backpedaling.

Now i switched to a 6 speed cassette (based on the shimano hg80) with selfmade spacers.

No issues aswell.

Just check by eye if the upper pulley, chainring and guidering are properly aligned. Should take a few minutes
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!