Thread: Itch'n for Marz

mtbr member

Itch'n for Marz

For two weeks now I've been waiting for my '11 66 ti to arrive. A couple of days ago I missed the delivery to my house by 35mins. I tried to retrieve it from the local post office but was told it'll be in the next day. Problem is, I was to fly out to Ohio that night.

So I'm sitting hear in the Motel room reading all these great things about the 66 ti, highly anticipating the day when I can throw it on and give it a bash. But f#$K, I won't be able to do that for another 10 days!! The weather in BC is looking really good, the trails should be in great condition which means the riding will be off the charts! And I'm stuck wasting(well not really) precious time doing work related training BS!

So on that note, and trying to draw a positive from this little set back. I'd like to hear from those who have used or are using the 66's, is there any tips/tuning/set up info anyone could pass on? What should I expect initially? Apparently some sort of break-in period is to be expected (from what I read) before the magic happens?

mtbr member
    nope..butter right out of the box

mtbr member
    One thing if you intend to use the air assist, invest in a low pressure pump.

Marz recommend an operating pressure of 0-15psi for it, more than that and it becomes mighty spikey. Normal high pressure shock pumps are useless at that low pressure, it won't register accurately if at all.

I've used a 44 RC3 with the air and it works well but needs careful set up to avoid over pressuring it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I set the rebound out of the box.

#225 riding weight and I haven't bothered with ANY air-assist. I've cranked the coil preload a bit, but really am not going to use the air assist unless I absolutely have to.

It is melted butter right out of the box, so good on small stuff, and more than keeps up in the chop. Haven't really taken any hits with it (3-4' to slight tranny is most) but didn't bottom there...

Yes, you should be stoked.

mtbr member
    Interesting to see very little/if any air assist is required, that certainly helps with keeping things simple. Thanks for the heads up for the low pressure pump FtS.

Shim stack mods, anyone gone down that path?

mtbr member
    Holy somkes! Butter out the box is right! I barely had to do anything to set-up, just a two turns of preload. Going from the 160 Talas to 66ti is the best thing I've done for this frame (I did just go tubeless, pretty sweeeet).

Having a 160 on a One would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight, it just won't work out!!