Chris Bling

Interview with the one and only Chris Canfield

Chris was nice enough to spend some time with me on the phone for the podcast I host over on Fat-Bike.com. We talk bikes, the history of Canfield and go over many of the questions mountain bikers have related to geo and suspension.

SPOILER ALERT!

He discusses the the new carbon 29er, so if you have been waiting for some details, you'll want to tune in.

Sorry for the audio at first. I didn't realize my microphone wasn't working very well the first 20 minutes or so.

Enjoy!

https://fat-bike.com/2017/06/wide-wo...eld-interview/

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 06-16-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Can't listen now, but I'm excited!

mtbr member
    If they need a XC guy to test a short travel XC 29er w/ the CBF suspension i'm free to help!

Great interview.. thanks for sharing!

mtbr member

Interview with the one and only Chris Canfield

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Chris was nice enough to spend some time with me on the phone for the podcast I host over on Far-Bike.com. We talk bikes, the history of Canfield and go over many of the questions mountain bikers have related to geo and suspension.

SPOILER ALERT!

He discusses the the new carbon 29er, so if you have been waiting for some details, you'll want to tune in.

Sorry for the audio at first. I didn't realize my microphone wasn't working very well the first 20 minutes or so.

Enjoy!

https://fat-bike.com/2017/06/wide-wo...eld-interview/

Bravo
    Very informative, intriguing , most excellent interview. Chris Canfield's real knowledge of the bike world is so exciting to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    Thanks guys! Chris is an awesome guy and it's killer how much he knows about bikes!

Makes me super stoked for the new Plastic Fantastic Ducks' Nutz!

Affordable Custom Wheels

n00b
    That was pretty cool!
    Good job, man
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So Carbon Balance in two years? Currently building up the aluminum frame, and I'll probably be ready to upgrade by then.

n00b
    I don't think I'd be able to own a carbon "Toir", I'd have a constant boner that wouldn't allow me to ride. Ha!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    So Carbon Balance in two years? Currently building up the aluminum frame, and I'll probably be ready to upgrade by then.
    I didn't hear that part - Only heard about a Carbon 29er in Feb-Mar 2018

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Kind of a bummer on the AL rear triangle, but it'll be a killer bike. I'm curious if the rear ends are affordable, maybe you could have one for mellow xc, long days, one for ripping trails.

Honestly though, I'm in the Midwest...not 'no' terrain at it's most extreme, but I'm a die hard canfield geo guy because of how I ride... A bike that wants to shred helps you shred and find the gnar in the otherwise mellow trails. Pop off everything, roost every corner. I don't want a long rear end to midwesternize my Riot.

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Kind of a bummer on the AL rear triangle, but it'll be a killer bike. I'm curious if the rear ends are affordable, maybe you could have one for mellow xc, long days, one for ripping trails.

Honestly though, I'm in the Midwest...not 'no' terrain at it's most extreme, but I'm a die hard canfield geo guy because of how I ride... A bike that wants to shred helps you shred and find the gnar in the otherwise mellow trails. Pop off everything, roost every corner. I don't want a long rear end to midwesternize my Riot.
    Where at in the Midwest?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post

A little bummer but I think they made the right choice on the rear triangle. I'll take clearance for bigger tires any day over smaller tires and carbon rear triangle. I ride in too much mud in the western Pennsylvania area so I appreciate more clearance. I agree with you about length of the chainstays. I want them short as possible for endless fun on the trails. Anxiously awaiting the carbon TOIR

mtbr member
    I just can't get over that backwards name (hate it), can we just refer to it as a Riot?
    I know, get over it!

mtbr member
    "I don't want a long rear end to midwesternize my Riot."

Cheers to That!

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    I just can't get over that backwards name (hate it), can we just refer to it as a Riot?
    I know, get over it!
    Good for you, and everyone else that does not like the name, it will not be called the Carbon Toir! It is going to have its own name all together.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Good for you, and everyone else that does not like the name, it will not be called the Carbon Toir! It is going to have its own name all together.
    Yo Dusty - when Chris mentioned they are sticking with 140mm, do you think he just meant for the rear? Perhaps allowing 150/160 up front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Yo Dusty - when Chris mentioned they are sticking with 140mm, do you think he just meant for the rear? Perhaps allowing 150/160 up front?
    Yes-
    It's geo adjusted for the 150 fork- .5 degree steeper- and will be tested thru the 160. fork.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Will there be a new Aluminum version as well? My wife is in the market and this could be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Will there be a new Aluminum version as well? My wife is in the market and this could be the ticket.

Nope-

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Nope-
    Will the current aluminum one continue to be offered? Or is the existing stock going to be the end? I would rather hold off on a new bike until next year, but aluminum/cheaper/non-boost is more my style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    I didn't hear that part - Only heard about a Carbon 29er in Feb-Mar 2018
    Yeah, just speculating. Wondering what other people think the timeline will be since other people probably have a better sense than me as to how long it will take to make a second full suspension carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Will the geo on the medium remain the same? Aside from -.5 head angle. I ride a small but could make a medium work if it doesn't get longer in the ETT.
    Last edited by Cerberus75; 06-21-2017 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Will the current aluminum one continue to be offered? Or is the existing stock going to be the end? I would rather hold off on a new bike until next year, but aluminum/cheaper/non-boost is more my style.
    On the podcast interview, sounded like they're just going to sell off existing stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    On the podcast interview, sounded like they're just going to sell off existing stock.
    Hmmmm. That's quite the dilemma for me. I can pick up a brand new frame in the color I want with a warranty and Topaz for about $200 more than the typical used frame with the Cane Creek. Really don't want to buy a new frame now though. Really don't want to wish I had a year from now.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see what the bros offer up. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Yeti SB5.5, but I'd prefer a Canfield. So a spring 2018 release works perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Yes-
    It's geo adjusted for the 150 fork- .5 degree steeper- and will be tested thru the 160. fork.
    YES.
    YES.
    YES.

Bombing a carbon 160 Riot in '18!

Interview with the one and only Chris Canfield-canfieldunclesam.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    He mentioned in the interview that it will be Boost. Do you think they'll stick with 148 or go for Super Boost? Do Boost bikes use a 73mm bottom bracket or is it typically wider? 83mm?

I am beyond excited. I am going to start assembling my kit so it's all ready for this bike when it comes out... so far I've got a Magic Mary! Only a bunch of money to go!