mtbr member
    May 2011

I may now own the ultimate all mountain bike (in my opinion)

will post a full review when I ride it this weekend.

To summarize:

full coil (front and rear, I am not a fan of air but I don't want to get into it), 170mm+ front and 7 inch rear travel
    XX1 1 x 11 drivetrain
    32 lbs 15 ounces WITH flat pedals on and everything else on (ready to ride)

not sure if I should have gone with wider bars (710mm might be pushing it, my jedi has 780mm and that feels comfortable to me, but lets see i guess).
    Figured this was supposed to be an "all mountain bike" not a DH so why build two similar bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I may now own the ultimate all mountain bike (in my opinion)-2012-12-27-18.50.42small.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    more pics. still kept my relatively heavy saint cranks and still under 33 lbs with flats!

and 203mm front rotor too

full bash guard and chain guide!

the all mountain bike with no compromise!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I may now own the ultimate all mountain bike (in my opinion)-2012-12-28-08.14.45mall.jpg  

I may now own the ultimate all mountain bike (in my opinion)-2012-12-28-08.16.09small.jpg  

I may now own the ultimate all mountain bike (in my opinion)-2012-12-28-08.16.23small.jpg  

I may now own the ultimate all mountain bike (in my opinion)-2012-12-28-08.16.33small.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    That is a great ride...

...I like the coils, I too am a fan of coils, once ya get the spring rate correct it's all good from there!

Not being negative here, but I would love to see an update as to how well the 1x11 holds up!

mtbr member
    I though 1x11 didnt need a chain-guide.

mtbr member
    Awsome! That's pretty hard to beat. I'm guessing its a large frame???

My 2011 large, with 670grm dropper, 170mm Avy'd coil & oil and an Avy'd DHX air sits at 35.05lbs

It's had some coin throw'n at it, I'm pretty sure with more money tossed at it, and w/out the dropper it should get close to 32lbs with a coil shock. New years resolution!

I'm gunna now go to the garage swap out the post and shock to see what I come up with!
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    I though 1x11 didn't need a chain-guide.
    Sram claims that you don't need a guide with the XX1 set up, HOWEVER, our customers ride tougher than most, so it's still a good idea to run one.

Congrats on the new bike! It's rad!!!

Vin

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have special powers at dropping chains, so i need a chain guide. I even managed to drop my jedi chain a few times, even with that wheel guider thing and a straitline.

yes the frame is size large.

Rode my bike for hours today, tuning it and stuff. didn't push hard still getting used to it, I am gonna post a video review.

710mm handlebars were fine, good compromise for an all mountain bike.

Still busy working on getting that vengeance right. I am not used to it at all. Started getting it setup better near end of ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I thought you only didn't need the chain guide if you were using the XX1 crank?
    I'm a bit confused with what you've got going on with the crank since all the naysayers about xx1 seem to complain about not being able to use other cranks and the bcd of the xx1 chainrings being proprietary
    enlighten a noob please

mtbr member
    May 2011
    im a larger rider and i brake a lot of stuff

the saint cranks to me seem unbreakable so i stuck with saint cranks with the XX1

not only that, i am using a renthal 32T , not even the sram one

dunno what will happen in the end but seems great so far

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    im a larger rider and i brake a lot of stuff

the saint cranks to me seem unbreakable so i stuck with saint cranks with the XX1

not only that, i am using a renthal 32T , not even the sram one

dunno what will happen in the end but seems great so far
    okay, this makes sense, the main reason you don't need a chain guide with xx1 is that the sram chainring has alternating teeth; one narrow, one wide that hold the chain in place. so far all the reviews have read, nobody has dropped a chain

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hmmmm but what happens when you hit rocks?

Do you snap off teeth and bust the chain if you go all xx1? With no bash or chain guide? Or xx1 have a bash built in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    correct me if I"m wrong but don't a lot of 1x systems have a chain guide only but no bash guard? I think you want the bash guard a 2x system because on your smallest chain ring your leaving that bigger ring totally exposed and the sharpness of the teeth are gonna potentially dig into logs and bend and things like that. with the chain on I would think sort of gives some added protection to the chainring. Again I'm a newb so anyone feel free to correct me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Okay not using the xx1 chainring was a mistake. Just broke the xx1 chain twice today

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is what you are missing. See how every other tooth is extra wide?
    Lucky for you the xx1 crank isn't too pricey!