mtbr member

The Help me Build a Yelli Screamy thread

I see a bunch of random threads about building a Yelli Screamy and picking what parts works best on these bikes, but not one collective thread. Figured I'd make a thread where we can discuss what components work best on the Yelli Screamy.

I'm going to start building one of these up soon. I just need to order everything. It will be a bike to be used by my son and me. Mostly xc/trail riding in rooty,bumpy,rocky, twisty New England terrain. Lots of ups and downs. Short tough steeps, some longer climbs, fun downhills off the back. I don't want a cross country bike. Want something a bit burlier with a geometry that is more fun. I don't want it to weigh a ton, but I don't need weight weenie specs either. I want something that will work, won't break, and will simply be fun to ride.

Here's what I'm thinking for mine.

Yelli Screamy frame size Large
    Fork: Manitou Tower Pro 120mm
    Wheels: Stans Flow EX
    Brakes: Avid BB7 180 front and 160 rear ( from another bike) , I like them, they work well.
    Brake lever: Avid Speed Dials
    Tires: Ardents 2.4 front and 2.2 rear.

Suggestions and help needed:

Components: I like Race Stuff, so will probably use their seatpost, stem and handlebar- which ones? I was thinking Turbine.

* Shorter stem.. maybe around 60mm. Turbine or Atlas

*Handlebar 680-720mm? Turbine

*Seatpost: Turbine

**Drivetrain: I need a 2x10 set up and want/need a low gear for sure. I'd like to stick with Sram, but if the Shimano 2x10 fits better I'll take that into consideration. I like the Race Face cranks 3x9 I currently use, and the Turbine 2x10 looks nice. Do they fit and function well with the Yelli Screamy? Best derailers to use? Do I need a chain tensioner? I wouldn't mind some sort of bash guard, I'm sure my son will beat the stuff up on some rocks Shifters: I'd like either x9 or xo, whatever works best with 2x10 system.

* Headset?? Which headset would work best with the Manitou Tower Pro?

So that's what I'm thinking. Should be a fun ride once I get it all together. I could really use your suggestions and help. I've enjoyed looking through the Yelli Screamy photo threads to get some ideas, and you YS owners all have some really nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post

No need for anything greater (or more blingy) than a Cane Creek 40 series.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    No need for anything greater (or more blingy) than a Cane Creek 40 series.
    I have a 40 on my yelli and it's great so far!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I went with the Canfield Wheelset! Love them
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images

mtbr member

I went with the Hope headset, similar price as the Cane Creek 40, at least from my LBS.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I don't have any opinion on that fork. I saw the Fox 120mm 29er fork on chainlove yesterday for half-off, so you may want to keep an eye out there if you are considering that fork as well. I am running the Marzocchi 44 29er fork and liking it. Agreed on CC40 ZS headset - works/looks great.

Brakes are a personal thing as can be drivetrain. I went with XT for shifters, derailleurs and brakes (as well as hubs) and couldn't be happier. For me hydro brakes are pretty much a necessity for long rides with lots of up/down and opportunities for grabbing the brakes. If I were to build a bike for one of my kids I'd put hydraulic brakes on it.

I have the Turbine stem, Atlas low-rise bar (cut down ~1cm each end) and Evolve crank set up 1x10 with XT cassette and a Race Face 34T ring (it came with a 32T ring and bashguard which are in my parts bin). I have the MRP Lopes SL 32-38T Black BB mount chain guide and it runs great - very quiet after some minor filing/bending to get it set up perfect.

Laced to my XT hubs are ZTR Arch EX rims. I considered the Flows, but since I won't be doing anything gnarly on my Yelli - 4' drops to flat at the most - I went with the Arch to save a little weight. If I didn't have plans for a FS bike for the gnar rides I'd probably have gone with Flows.

The Ardents are great. I am running the 2.4 EXO up front and Ikon EXO rear, but going to probably get something larger volume on the rear when the Ikon wears. The Ikon is a good faster rolling tire, but with the hardtail there are days I wouldn't mind having a little more volume/rubber back there. I'm even tempted to run something around 2.4" out back next and see how it works.

I think the bike is also perfect for a dropper post, which is the only upgrade I'd really consider to mine at this point. I am running the Turbine post you planned and it looks good and is an easy post to set up and adjust.

Have fun with your build - I know you'll have fun with the bike when it's all together!

Yelli Screamy frame size Large
    Fork: Manitou Tower Pro 120mm
    Wheels: Stans Flow EX
    Brakes: Avid BB7 180 front and 160 rear ( from another bike) , I like them, they work well.
    Brake lever: Avid Speed Dials
    Tires: Ardents 2.4 front and 2.2 rear.

Suggestions and help needed:

Components: I like Race Stuff, so will probably use their seatpost, stem and handlebar- which ones? I was thinking Turbine.

* Shorter stem.. maybe around 60mm. Turbine or Atlas

*Handlebar 680-720mm? Turbine

*Seatpost: Turbine

**Drivetrain: I need a 2x10 set up and want/need a low gear for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I ordered the Manitou Tower Pro today. I will order the frame next week when the Canfield guys get back in the office.

I'll order a headset and seatpost clamp tomorrow.

I'm going to go with Flow EX's because where we ride is very rooty and rocky. I don't really huck off stuff, but will jump little things here and there. I just think they'll be more durable. I want it to be a durable,well built ride. The only reason I mention BB7 brakes is I have 3 sets on different bikes, and I know how to maintain them. They work well for me in almost any condition. I could try a hydraulic brake, but for now I think I'll just stick with what I know.

I hadn't considered a dropper post, but that might be a fun add on.

I really just need to figure out the 2x10 drivetrain thing at this point. I like the Race Face cranks I have now, and could use some of their 2x10 stuff if it fits well on YS. I could also just run a full SRAM kit I guess, but I want to make sure I buy the right stuff in the first place. I can't go 1x10 on it, as both my son and I need the lower gearing.

I could be convinced to go with a full Shimano 2x10 drivetrain and hydro brake set up too.I just normally don't run Shimano and I don't have a lot of experience with their stuff. But the new stuff looks nice and it is supposedly very functional and well designed.

Thanks for the tips and advice! Looking forward to getting the new fork in. I've never used a 20mm thru axle system before, seems interesting. Should be fairly stiff, good for the bumpy stuff I ride.
    Last edited by SundayRiverRider; 10-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't know if the 2x cranksets fits on the yelli. You might be better off getting a 3x crankset and then removing the biggest ring and putting on a bash like the BBG or something similar