mtbr member

New question here. Help with fork upgrade on my Riot

Iím looking to finally upgrade the fork and shock on my Riot. I think for the shock I have settled on the Chubbie/Woodie. I was going to spring for the 11.6 but in the end Iím just worried about spending so much money as Iím also looking at a fork.

As for the fork, Iím either going to send my 34 factory into Craig at Avy and have him work his magic, or Iím going to get the Ribbon Air or Helm Air. Something I just saw on the Helm air is that the A2C is 558mm on the 150mm. Seeing as how the Riot was built for 551mm, that might be worth a shot.

Does anyone out there think one might be better vs the other? All geared up iím about 155lbs and ride a bunch in VA/WV with some parks speckled in (though mostly flow vs nasty chunk). My main issue with the 34 is how it is a little undergunned in consistent root/rock hits. The easy fix is to send it to Avy, but Iím just not sure if thatís worth spending the $600ish on or just going a little above that to get a Helm.

Thanks for any and all advice.

mtbr member
    I have a riot also. Iím running mine dvo diamond front and topaz rear. Bike is perfectly balanced. Iíve had it all over the place. With your options on your list. Iíd go with the ribbon air. I have one on my nimble9 ss and itís a awesome fork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    DVO Diamond fork totally surprised me by how good it is. I am 185 body weight, so all of these factory forks are kind of built around my weight. I was on FOX forever, then switched to PIKE on 3 bikes over the last 4 yrs. I also like the Lyrik on a 170/170 rental bike. But the Diamond is as good or better. I give up a 1/2 pound as its heavy. They can be had for $600-$700 if you are rolling non boost. Arts cyclery has a few Push 11.6 shocks on clearance for other frames but maybe they carry over to our Riots? As Ralaighguy said above, the DVO Topaz is great. It's as good as my old FOX rear air shock.

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the advice. So you think getting something new like the Diamond is better than sending the 34 off to Avy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Another vote for MRP Ribbon. Easy to adjust travel around if you want to do a little experimenting. I actually settled on 150 on my Riot despite warranty talk. I also ran a DVO air shock on the rear and was very pleased with the squishy bits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    Another vote for MRP Ribbon. Easy to adjust travel around if you want to do a little experimenting. I actually settled on 150 on my Riot despite warranty talk. I also ran a DVO air shock on the rear and was very pleased with the squishy bits.
    At this point Iím going to go 150 for sure. I wish the bottom bracket was a little lower, but Iím sure itíll be fine. I have a couple spacers under the stem that Iíll remove when going 150. Iíve settled on the Chubbie/Woodie as I really think I need a coil in the back. Still regret not getting a Large, so this is the best I can do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I ran a coil DVO for a bit and while traction was amazing, I don't feel the Riot was progressive enough for a coil. But you are going the custom Avalanche route so maybe Craig can resolve that for you in his tune.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I ran a coil DVO for a bit and while traction was amazing, I don't feel the Riot was progressive enough for a coil. But you are going the custom Avalanche route so maybe Craig can resolve that for you in his tune.
    Yes, from what Craig said, the Chubbie will help with that vs the Woodie. The sad part is that had I just ordered the Large with the longer wheelbase, the rear end skipping around on me wouldnít be as big of an issue at higher speeds. All good though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good luck and maybe look for used large frames on pinkbike to swap to.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I think Avy mod is probably better than Diamond, not sure. What I will say, is if you are average weight aggresive rider, a Diamond at $600 is awesome vs a new $1000 fork (plus tax). I have heard great things about MRP, by Sam, owner of Over The Edge Bikes, in South Lake Tahoe. He has a small rental bike fleet with MRP forks and likes them alot. He also has used a DVO Diamond I Believe he said. Alot of great forks out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Yes, from what Craig said, the Chubbie will help with that vs the Woodie. The sad part is that had I just ordered the Large with the longer wheelbase, the rear end skipping around on me wouldnít be as big of an issue at higher speeds. All good though.
    I wonder if moving to large frame would be more beneficial than upgrading your suspension to remove the issues you feel with the rear end of the Riot. Finding a large may be a bigger problem, however. I am not refuting a suspension upgrade, rather presenting alternatives for the best long term solution as doing both would probably be what you are really after.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have Avy front and rear. I dont have any skipping in the rear. The Avy shock blow enough HSC to keep things calm. DVO is a good company and you can tune and rebuild things on your own. But the Avy shock you just need to seen it to Craig every 3years and the fork cartridge just change the oil when you do a lower leg service (need to drain anyway) this year i got the push coil kit for my Yari since i needed to keep servicing the air spring to keep stiction at bay. Now its the best fork ivr ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I have Avy front and rear. I dont have any skipping in the rear. The Avy shock blow enough HSC to keep things calm. DVO is a good company and you can tune and rebuild things on your own. But the Avy shock you just need to seen it to Craig every 3years and the fork cartridge just change the oil when you do a lower leg service (need to drain anyway) this year i got the push coil kit for my Yari since i needed to keep servicing the air spring to keep stiction at bay. Now its the best fork ivr ever ridden.
    Good to know on the Avy. I think Iím 100% going to get the Chubie rear. Although I just demoed the SB130 on Friday and came away pretty impressed. Now Iíve got some problems haha. Either drop some coin into upgrades or go the 130/150 route and bring over some parts. Still have to say, even though I enjoyed the climbing and pedal efficiency of the 130, the Riot is still impressive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Good to know on the Avy. I think Iím 100% going to get the Chubie rear. Although I just demoed the SB130 on Friday and came away pretty impressed. Now Iíve got some problems haha. Either drop some coin into upgrades or go the 130/150 route and bring over some parts. Still have to say, even though I enjoyed the climbing and pedal efficiency of the 130, the Riot is still impressive.
    IMHO I think the Riot is a better East Coast bike. Im in Western MD but bike all over the Mid Atlantic WV VA MD and WNC. The Riot turns on a dime (youll learn fo love what some feel is nervousness once the suspention is dialed in) and higher BB for technical climbs. If I was out West I'd want a longer lower bike. But some like them even in tighter areas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    IMHO I think the Riot is a better East Coast bike. Im in Western MD but bike all over the Mid Atlantic WV VA MD and WNC. The Riot turns on a dime (youll learn fo love what some feel is nervousness once the suspention is dialed in) and higher BB for technical climbs. If I was out West I'd want a longer lower bike. But some like them even in tighter areas.
    With the Avy stuff you can run a lot more LSC for efficiency it will blow it off when it gets chunky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any thoughts on the best offset for the balance and riot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    Any thoughts on the best offset for the balance and riot?
    I went back and forth on the Riot pluses and minuses with both. 44 felt like i lost some HTA and the wheel wants to tuck in sharp turns. 51 is quick and can wash out. 44 would be more comfortable on longer straight downhills. But the Riot isn't a long bike. Longer bikes or longer forked, i would like the 44 so on the balance i would run shorter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks that makes sense. I had a bike and went to a 170mm 2018 fox 36 which I believe is 44mm. I'm about to replace it with a 160mm MRP Ribbon which comes in 39 and 44. I haven't seen many 39mm and think its part of the Transition offset geometry push. I already run 38 risers on my balance so i can get my bars at the right height without sacrificing my reach (bringing the bars closer to me with spacers) so I don't want to give up any reach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    39 will really slow the response down and put more weight on the front. I see the shorter offset similar to longer stems. In feeling when it comes to longer stems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ill post this in a few places. Some bikes are more harsh with the derailleur clutch engaged than others. The Riot has a lot Antisquat through the whole range of travel. And i feel a big difference on fast hits with it off. So try turning the clutch off to see how it feels before you go big money on a rear shock or give up on the bike. A chain device may just be what *

mtbr member
    +1 for the Avy on the rear. I'm running a Woodie tuned by Craig with a 400 lb spring at 158 lbs geared. Love it. I can't speak for a Ribbon or Helm on the front, but I've got a Fox 36 at 160mm that works so good coupled with the Woodie in back. I built it with a zero stack bottom headset so the geometry of the bike is really not much changed at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    +1 for the Avy on the rear. I'm running a Woodie tuned by Craig with a 400 lb spring at 158 lbs geared. Love it. I can't speak for a Ribbon or Helm on the front, but I've got a Fox 36 at 160mm that works so good coupled with the Woodie in back. I built it with a zero stack bottom headset so the geometry of the bike is really not much changed at all.
    Any issues with the longer fork and zero stack? Sometimes i wish i had a longer fork. And im almost out of warranty anyway lol. Just hope the Bros put something out before I break it😁

mtbr member
    Any issues with the longer fork and zero stack? Sometimes i wish i had a longer fork. And im almost out of warranty anyway lol. Just hope the Bros put something out before I break it😁
    No issues so far! The only thing I'm worried about are the bearings in the headset. There is a small opening where the headset interfaces with the steerer, so I used a large O-ring to help keep the grime out. We'll see how that works long term.

As far as the ride, comparing to a 140mm Pike, the only downside I've noticed is having to scoot a little farther forward on the seat during steep tech climbs. I can't say I notice a difference at all with the handling of the bike. But man can it smash some chunk downhill now, as the 160 can now keep up with the Avy coiled rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    No issues so far! The only thing I'm worried about are the bearings in the headset. There is a small opening where the headset interfaces with the steerer, so I used a large O-ring to help keep the grime out. We'll see how that works long term.

As far as the ride, comparing to a 140mm Pike, the only downside I've noticed is having to scoot a little farther forward on the seat during steep tech climbs. I can't say I notice a difference at all with the handling of the bike. But man can it smash some chunk downhill now, as the 160 can now keep up with the Avy coiled rear.
    Sounds good! I use a set back 9 point 8 seat post. I like 75.5 STA anyway can order another head to give it zero. I may have to give it a ago.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I vote 11-6 for the rear if you can swing it. For me it changed the bike so much for the better that itís totally worth it. As for the fork I again vote for the push route if you can swing it. Iím using a 150mm fox 36 with the ACS-3 coil conversion. Bike is a straight beast. So much fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbendt View Post
    I vote 11-6 for the rear if you can swing it. For me it changed the bike so much for the better that itís totally worth it. As for the fork I again vote for the push route if you can swing it. Iím using a 150mm fox 36 with the ACS-3 coil conversion. Bike is a straight beast. So much fun.
    Would love that option, but that is some serious coin. The 11.6 is a good chunk, but buying a 36 and then the ACS-3 Coil will result in my wife killing me. Getting the 11.6 and leaving my 34 on the front would probably be a disaster (just a guess). Although sending my 34 to Avy for the works is going to cost around $600 or so. Which is what got me in this predicament.

Just thinking if Iím spending 600 on that it might be worth getting a beefier fork like the Helm or Ribbon. Some still say an Avyíd 34 is better than the Helm or Ribbon, but Iím just lost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Would love that option, but that is some serious coin. The 11.6 is a good chunk, but buying a 36 and then the ACS-3 Coil will result in my wife killing me. Getting the 11.6 and leaving my 34 on the front would probably be a disaster (just a guess). Although sending my 34 to Avy for the works is going to cost around $600 or so. Which is what got me in this predicament.

Just thinking if Iím spending 600 on that it might be worth getting a beefier fork like the Helm or Ribbon. Some still say an Avyíd 34 is better than the Helm or Ribbon, but Iím just lost.
    Unless Craig has stated that the fork needs to be sent in,or needs a modification that make ypu nervous. save the money and do it yourself. Its an easy installation. And you'll know whats required to do the lower leg service. It took 20min on my Yari.