Roll on Spring Time!

Help with 9t setup

I have finaly got around to building up my one and have my 9t hub laced up ready to go. Only problem is I cant seem to get the 9t kit to match up with the XT cassette. I have rechecked everything and I definately have the 10 speed kit and XT 771 cassette.

The issue is that there is a built in spacer on the kit and on the XT cassette. When put together there is a double space where the 2 meet up.
    I ordered the 771 cassette based on the info in the Micro drive thread but what I have is definately not jiving. I did a test fit with my old SRAM DH 9S cassette and it fits perfectly. This is because the cassette has individual spacers.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I believe they only work with the SRAM 10s cassettes, and for the 9s its a Shimano Caprio cassette.

9t hup with 10s cassette

mtbr member
    I had the same issue, exchanged it out for Sram and all went well from there.

Wish I could be more help, it was last August when I went with the Micro setup. The hub has been absolutely flawless since day one. The only thing I would want to see changed is for better engagement.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Canfield Brothers
    The Rage and CRS - Thanks for hopping in on this. Our 9t conversion cogs only mate up to the Sram cassettes we have listed on the site:
    Sram 10 speed 11t-36t and 12t-36t Models - PG-1070, PG-1050 and PG-1030. Shimano uses a one piece carrier that doesn't allow for things to jive properly.

Hope that helps!

Roll on Spring Time!
    Thanks for the feedback and I will obviously have to look at SRAM cassettes, personaly I dont like SRAM drive chains since I have bent a few sprockets and snapped a couple of chains. I went with Shimano based on information in the Micro Drive and guide thread on page 5

"The Conversion cogs- are the lower 4 cogs needed to fit on to a 9t hub. They convert the following 10 speed cassettes:

Sram 10 speed 11t-36t and 12t-36t.
    Models-
    PG-1070
    PG-1050
    PG-1030

Shimano 10 speed cassettes- both 11t-36t and 11t-34t
    Models:
    XTR M980
    XT M771
    SLX- HG81

Just replace the lower 4 cogs with the conversion cogs to mount to a 9t hub-"

Did I miss interpret the information?
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That is interesting... Directly from Csquared which I believe is one of the brothers. I'm pretty sure that info is just incorrect. The post is over a year old so who knows, maybe something got changed. I use mine with a SRAM cassette and chain and haven't had any problems. I always carry at least one SRAM quick link just in case of a break.

7MGTE

pics please

Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo View Post
    I have finaly got around to building up my one and have my 9t hub laced up ready to go. Only problem is I cant seem to get the 9t kit to match up with the XT cassette. I have rechecked everything and I definately have the 10 speed kit and XT 771 cassette.

The issue is that there is a built in spacer on the kit and on the XT cassette. When put together there is a double space where the 2 meet up.
    I ordered the 771 cassette based on the info in the Micro drive thread but what I have is definately not jiving. I did a test fit with my old SRAM DH 9S cassette and it fits perfectly. This is because the cassette has individual spacers.
    I got my Dura-Ace matched up on my DH 9t set up so I can prob help you out.

Can you post up complete pics of the cassette and 9t kit? After I see the pics I might be able to give you a fix if it is a the issue I had.

Edit:
    The Dura Ace cassette was a two piece design so that is how I made it work. If yours only one piece I doubt I can fix that. I typically run Dura Ace Shimano cassettes and I was able to make it work.
    Last edited by supramk388; 12-03-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added info

Canfield Brothers
    Thanks for the feedback and I will obviously have to look at SRAM cassettes, personaly I dont like SRAM drive chains since I have bent a few sprockets and snapped a couple of chains. I went with Shimano based on information in the Micro Drive and guide thread on page 5
    juan pablo - Sorry for the confusion. As I stated a few posts back, our website recommends Sram cassettes, for the easiest installation for our customers. The Shimano cassettes Chris initially listed in a forum do work gear wise, however ,the spacer that is attached to the carrire between the forth and fifth cog is the issue in the cassettes we have tested.

Also, while it is the general rule to match your drivetrain components, we have been running our Nimble demo set up with our 9t hub and cogs, a Sram 1070 cassette, KMC chain and Shimano cranks, derailleurs and shifters with zero issues.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 12-08-2013 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    juan pablo - Sorry for the confusion. As I stated a few posts back, our website recommends Sram cassettes, for the easiest installation for our customers. The Shimano cassettes Chris initially listed in a forum do work gear wise, however ,the spacer that is attached to the carrire between the forth and fifth cog is the issue in the cassettes we have tested.

Also, while it is the general rule to match your drivetrain components, we have been running our Nimble demo set up with our 9t hub and cogs, a Sram 1070 cassette, KMC chain and Shimano cranks, derailleurs and shifters with zero issues.
    Vin, are you talking about where that yellow arrow is pointed being the problem?

Help with 9t setup-shimano_xt_11_36_cassette.jpg

When you say Dremel the pin, do you mean on the 4 cog replacement stack that includes the 9T that I'd get from you?
    Last edited by Pau11y; 12-08-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Vin, are you talking about where that yellow arrow is pointed being the problem?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shimano_xt_11_36_cassette.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	852010
    Correct. Our 9t cogs have that spacer built into them, which is the compatibility issue. The Sram cassettes listed do not have this, allowing our cogs to mate properly.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 12-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Roll on Spring Time!
    thanks guys. the cassette picture above is exactly what I have and the spacer issue is what I am faced with. I will look at a SRAM cassette.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry I'm still a little confused
    exactly which cogs are the "conversion" cogs that fit onto the smaller carrier
    I think it is 9-11-13-16
    then you add the other 5 or 6 larger cogs from a normally keyed "compatible" cassette to the larger step of drive shell (sram or shimano)

"The Conversion cogs- are the lower 4 cogs needed to fit on to a 9t hub. They convert the following 10 speed cassettes:

Models-
    PG-1070
    PG-1050
    PG-1030

Models:
    XTR M980
    XT M771
    SLX- HG81

Last edited by flyinmike; 12-09-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    I'm sorry I'm still a little confused exactly which cogs are the "conversion" cogs that fit onto the smaller carrier
    I think it is 9-11-13-16 then you add the other 5 or 6 larger cogs from a normally keyed "compatible" cassette to the larger step of drive shell (sram or shimano)
    flyingmike - If you are looking to run a 9-36 gear spread, you will use our 9t Microdrive Hub and 9t Conversion Cogs, (9,11,13,16) with the 6 largest gears from a Sram 1070, (18,21,24,28,32,36).

As it is bike planning/building season, we are running a special until the end of the year, which will save you $150 off any of our Microdrive packages!
    Help with 9t setup-canfield-brothers-9t-microdrive-hub.jpg

mtbr member
    I am having trouble with my chain jumping on the 9t cog.

These are the things I have tried:
    1) B screw out as far as it will go etc to get more wrap
    2) put a new hanger on and checked for absolute alignment
    3) new chain SRAM 1070
    None seemed to help.

it is set up to use the middle chainring as a 1x10 on a 3-speed SRAM crank

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by twyeld View Post
    I am having trouble with my chain jumping on the 9t cog.

These are the things I have tried:
    1) B screw out as far as it will go etc to get more wrap
    2) put a new hanger on and checked for absolute alignment
    3) new chain SRAM 1070
    None seemed to help.

it is set up to use the middle chainring as a 1x10 on a 3-speed SRAM crank

Any ideas?
    Hey twyeld,

This may be obvious... but check the route on the rear derailleur that the cable housing and after that ESPECIALLY the cable itself goes through the derailleur "hole" just before the hex lock. I have fixed chain jumps on some of my buddies bikes just for that reason. They ran the cable OVER as opposed to through. Including one guy with a 9t that was doing the same.

I am running a 9t for over a year 1x10 and it has been flawless, full sram.

Good luck.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxfreeride View Post
    Hey twyeld,

This may be obvious... but check the route on the rear derailleur that the cable housing and after that ESPECIALLY the cable itself goes through the derailleur "hole" just before the hex lock. I have fixed chain jumps on some of my buddies bikes just for that reason. They ran the cable OVER as opposed to through. Including one guy with a 9t that was doing the same.

I am running a 9t for over a year 1x10 and it has been flawless, full sram.

Good luck.
    OK - this is a good suggestion - except that I am using a SRAM derailleur which only provides a notch under the hex lock - otherwise everything is properly aligned/threaded through the guides etc...

My gut feeling was that it was more a case of too much chain crossover. Using the middle ring shouldn't be a problem. But, the chain seems to be catching on the second cog - ie the 11t cog - when on the 9t. It seems to catch the connector link mostly - but you can't rejoin a broken 10speed SRAM chain (especially the hollow ones) so you must use connector!

Anyway, I placed the 32t ring on the outside of the 3-speed crank and this seems to have fixed it!

mtbr member
    OK - this is a good suggestion - except that I am using a SRAM derailleur which only provides a notch under the hex lock - otherwise everything is properly aligned/threaded through the guides etc...

My gut feeling was that it was more a case of too much chain crossover. Using the middle ring shouldn't be a problem. But, the chain seems to be catching on the second cog - ie the 11t cog - when on the 9t. It seems to catch the connector link mostly - but you can't rejoin a broken 10speed SRAM chain (especially the hollow ones) so you must use connector!

Anyway, I placed the 32t ring on the outside of the 3-speed crank and this seems to have fixed it!
    Well - this was a short-lived fix. it started to jump again almost straight away I applied some real force out on the trail - more than my soft ride in the street outside my house.

Anyway, it seems it was the connector link all along. The SRAM connector links are slightly larger in the middle than the normal chain link which seems to catch on the 11t or the lockring.

So, I very carefully removed the connector link and did a normal chain join and hey presto! No jumping! And I have been out now a few times and hammered the 9t as hard as i could without a single jump. My only concern is that the 10spd chain will break - as joining a 10spd chain without a connector is not strong enough. Oh well - fingers crossed it lasts....

I could also put the chainring back in its normal position etc...

T:]

mtbr member
    Just a quick update.

It works better with a joined chain rather than using the connector link - no jumping. However, I did break the chain while riding once. I could tell it was where I had done the join, as I marked the link with blue ink. Next step will be to use a shimano chain with their pin connector - at least that should be stronger than trying to join the SRAM chain.

BTW I was running the General Lee 25-29-35-40 cassette on the 9t microdrive but was having a few problems with missed shifts.

I have now got one of Mirfe's 42t cogs coupled with the last 3 cogs of the shimano 11-36 (28-32-36) and I am amazed at how smooth the whole set up is!

final spread: 9-11-13-16-19-24-28-32-36-42
    5t jump between 19 and 24 but don't seem to notice it on the trail - spend most of my time in 24-42 climbing and 9-16 descending. (BTW 28/42 = 22/36 = nice granny gear! and 28/9 = 34/11 = 44/14 = reasonable cruising gear!).

28t chainring up front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Which cogs did you delete?
    Just a quick update.

It works better with a joined chain rather than using the connector link - no jumping. However, I did break the chain while riding once. I could tell it was where I had done the join, as I marked the link with blue ink. Next step will be to use a shimano chain with their pin connector - at least that should be stronger than trying to join the SRAM chain.

BTW I was running the General Lee 25-29-35-40 cassette on the 9t microdrive but was having a few problems with missed shifts.

I have now got one of Mirfe's 42t cogs coupled with the last 3 cogs of the shimano 11-36 (28-32-36) and I am amazed at how smooth the whole set up is!

final spread: 9-11-13-16-19-24-28-32-36-42
    5t jump between 19 and 24 but don't seem to notice it on the trail - spend most of my time in 24-42 climbing and 9-16 descending. (BTW 28/42 = 22/36 = nice granny gear! and 28/9 = 34/11 = 44/14 = reasonable cruising gear!).

28t chainring up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbbs View Post
    Which cogs did you delete?
    the canfield comes with 9-11-13-16, and from the shimano 11-36 I used the last 4 cogs (as they have an alu spider) 24-28-32-36, so the only cog left (apart from the 42t at the end) was between 16 and 24. I would have liked to use a 20t but such an animal doesn't exist (only 19 or 21), so I went for the 19. (Although I think there may be a miche 20t? - at least I couldn't find a 20t in any of my spare cogs...[and I've got heaps!])

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Helps alot, Now I don't have to scratch my head trying to figure this stuff out. I think I have a 20t from an old sram cassette I took apart. It seems to me like there's more gear range than the X11with the 42t added. Thanks twyeld

mtbr member

Models-
    PG-1070
    PG-1050
    PG-1030

Models:
    XTR M980
    XT M771
    SLX- HG81

Aloha, thanks so much for all the great information here. I managed to take what I've read along with the great support from the Canfield guys to put my own 10 speed set up together. I posted it here in the Drivetrain section.

My Version of a 2x10

I hope this info is useful to others out there. I am currently looking for a way to get the XTR largest cogs to save some weight.