mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Good Donor Bike for Yelli Screamy Build-up?

There is a really good deal going now on the 2011 Fuji Tahoe 29 1.0.

I was thinking maybe I should snatch this bike up and use the parts as a basis for a Yelli build. I haven't built a bike from the ground up before, but with I see this is a tappered head tube set. Are these components compatible with the Yelli Screamy medium frame? Anything make one size better than another to match up? Thanks!

2011 Fuju Tahoe 29 1.0 Specs:
    REAR TRIANGLE - Fuji A2-SL,S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC D disc mount and replaceable hanger
    FORK - ROCKSHOX Reba RLT 29 RMT Tapered Steerer, 100mm Travel w/PopLoc Remote LockOut
    CRANKSET - Shimano SLX Hollow Tech II w/Integrated spindle, 24/32/42T
    BOTTOM BRACKET - Shimano Exterior Bearing System
    FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano XT SGS Shadow Top normal, 10sp
    REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano XT SGS Shadow Top normal 10sp
    SHIFTERS - Shimano SLX Rapid Fire, 30-speed
    CASSETTE - Shimano SLX, 11-34T 10sp
    CHAIN - Shimano HG-74
    WHEELSET - Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H hubs, WTB Laser Disc Trail 29", 32H DW w/ Single Eyelet rims
    BRAKE SET - Tektro Orion Hydraulic Disc Brake, 180/160mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS - Tektro Orion Hydraulic Disc Brake Lever
    HEADSET - Fuji Custom 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    HANDLEBAR - Oval M-200 Double Butted 6061 Flat Bar , 31.8mm
    STEM - Oval M-200 RBT 6061 Alloy Stem, 31.8mm
    SEAT POST - Oval M-200 31.6x350mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMalibu View Post
    There is a really good deal going now on the 2011 Fuji Tahoe 29 1.0.

I was thinking maybe I should snatch this bike up and use the parts as a basis for a Yelli build. I haven't built a bike from the ground up before, but with I see this is a tappered head tube set. Are these components compatible with the Yelli Screamy medium frame? Anything make one size better than another to match up? Thanks!

2011 Fuju Tahoe 29 1.0 Specs:
    REAR TRIANGLE - Fuji A2-SL,S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC D disc mount and replaceable hanger
    FORK - ROCKSHOX Reba RLT 29 RMT Tapered Steerer, 100mm Travel w/PopLoc Remote LockOut
    CRANKSET - Shimano SLX Hollow Tech II w/Integrated spindle, 24/32/42T
    BOTTOM BRACKET - Shimano Exterior Bearing System
    FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano XT SGS Shadow Top normal, 10sp
    REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano XT SGS Shadow Top normal 10sp
    SHIFTERS - Shimano SLX Rapid Fire, 30-speed
    CASSETTE - Shimano SLX, 11-34T 10sp
    CHAIN - Shimano HG-74
    WHEELSET - Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H hubs, WTB Laser Disc Trail 29", 32H DW w/ Single Eyelet rims
    BRAKE SET - Tektro Orion Hydraulic Disc Brake, 180/160mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS - Tektro Orion Hydraulic Disc Brake Lever
    HEADSET - Fuji Custom 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    HANDLEBAR - Oval M-200 Double Butted 6061 Flat Bar , 31.8mm
    STEM - Oval M-200 RBT 6061 Alloy Stem, 31.8mm
    SEAT POST - Oval M-200 31.6x350mm
    I would probably just buy the parts alone. If you *really* want a donor bike, bikesdirect would probably be a better option. I would go with a 120mm fork minimum if I were you..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the speedy response. I was thinking those parts would be hard to come by for $1000. Maybe I need to shop more.

I'm pretty sure the the Reba/ XT spec 29er at Bikes Direct is at least $200 more than this bike, and since I'm in Texas, Bikes Direct isn't tax free (plus I don't think the Bikes Direct bikes include tapered-steerer forks).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMalibu View Post
    Thanks for the speedy response. I was thinking those parts would be hard to come by for $1000. Maybe I need to shop more.

I'm pretty sure the the Reba/ XT spec 29er at Bikes Direct is at least $200 more than this bike, and since I'm in Texas, Bikes Direct isn't tax free (plus I don't think the Bikes Direct bikes include tapered-steerer forks).
    Maybe you are right about it price-wise, but I'd personally end up tossing or selling all of the Oval stuff and the brakes, making it less cost effective. I had a 100mm Reba on my Yelli, and it just wasn't near enough. In the process of going 140mm Revelation now.

Also, I'd rather have a 15mm axle than a tapered steerer if you have to choose between.

mtbr member
    Did you see all the Shimano OEM parts for sale atm from JensonUSA?

Find a nice closeout Reba/revelation after the black friday/cyber monday ads come out most likely.

Shimano OE | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    well, it's pretty much like any complete bike buy: you couldn't get those parts for that total if you were buying on your own, but do you want those parts? Buying 2 working shifters, for example, is probably not going to be a good deal no matter how little they cost.

You'd probably get your money's worth from just the fork (which would be in the neighborhood of $500 by itself), crank, shifters and derailleurs. The rest of it is somewhat questionable anyhow. I mean, a seatpost is more or less a seatpost unless it's thomson, but the brakes... there is some real trash with the tektro name on it (to be fair, there are some decent brakes too, but I don't know about these).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not to Hijack the thread too bad but i have a similar question as well...

I have a 2012 Trek Xcal and after riding it for the last 4 months Im beginning to realize that an AM bike is more my style. From all the reviews the Yelli Screamy seems like 'the one' so my question is how well would the components on my Xcal work with the YS??

The bike is bone stock except for grips, pedals, and a seat.

Components:
    Front suspension- RockShox Reba RL 29 w/Solo Air, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel
    Wheels- Bontrager sealed cartridge bearing, aluminium axle front hub; Bontrager sealed cartridge bearing, aluminium axle rear hub w/Bontrager Mustang 32-hole Tubeless Ready disc rims
    Shifters- SRAM X7, 10 speed
    Front derailleur- Shimano Deore
    Rear derailleur- SRAM X7
    Crank- SRAM S1000, 44/33/22
    Cassette- Shimano HG62 11-36, 10 speed
    Seatpost- Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
    Handlebar- Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem- Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
    Headset- 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
    Brakeset- Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes

I know I would have to get a 31.6 mm seatpost, a headset with a reducer for my non-tapered Reba, a shorter stem and riser bars, and Ive read I can make my 100mm Reba a 120mm so I would probably do that too. Also, I am planning on converting my drive train to a 1x10 with a bashwich and an X9 short cage derailer. Im pretty new to wrenching on bikes so my question is how well will the Avid Elixer 1 brakes and drive train along with my other components work with the YS?

** Sorry for the Hijack! I would have created my own thread but my post count is to low

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chapp View Post

I know I would have to get a 31.6 mm seatpost,
    Yelli is 30.9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I have a 2012 Trek Xcal and after riding it for the last 4 months Im beginning to realize that an AM bike is more my style. From all the reviews the Yelli Screamy seems like 'the one' so my question is how well would the components on my Xcal work with the YS??

Components:
    Front suspension- RockShox Reba RL 29 w/Solo Air, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel
    Wheels- Bontrager sealed cartridge bearing, aluminium axle front hub; Bontrager sealed cartridge bearing, aluminium axle rear hub w/Bontrager Mustang 32-hole Tubeless Ready disc rims
    Rear derailleur- SRAM X7

I know I would have to get a 31.6 mm seatpost, a headset with a reducer for my non-tapered Reba, a shorter stem and riser bars, and Ive read I can make my 100mm Reba a 120mm so I would probably do that too. Also, I am planning on converting my drive train to a 1x10 with a bashwich and an X9 short cage derailer. Im pretty new to wrenching on bikes so my question is how well will the Avid Elixer 1 brakes and drive train along with my other components work with the YS?

** Sorry for the Hijack! I would have created my own thread but my post count is to low
    Sounds great. I say go for it. You can sell your fisher frome for a couple of hundred on ebay and recoup some of the cost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Components:
    Rear derailleur- SRAM X7

I did the same going from a Trek Rig 2011 to a YS 2012. I have a G2 F29 100mm and the fork works fine. I set the YS up as a SS 32/21 magic gear works great. I had already ditched most of the Bontrager components from my Rig so the conversion was basically the Fork, crankset and wheels. the wheels are crappy and once I get a deal on a decent rear hub I am building a new rear wheel. Also, if I can get a deal on a crankset I'd like a beefier crankset down the road, probably go 1x10 when I make that switch. JensonUSA had some smoking deals on Shimano a while back and I picked up an SLX front brake...