Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Gollub,, you guys playing with 650b?

Can ya talk about it here? Curious about doing a One, but not sure. Rather run a frame truly designed for it...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Talking with Sean the other day, he mentioned it was a strong possibility for next year. As far as using a One for 650b set up it will work. Just threw my buddies 650wheel with Racing Ralphs and it fit with plenty of clearance. Just ordered my parts to build my own 650 wheels for mine. Be nice to have a little higher BB. Should still be low enough to still corner smooth. Will know better in a few days.
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I think I would only consider doing the refit if it accommodates 2.4's. Please keep me informed!

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Good topic. Was looking into possibly 650b for a next bike, but never thought about it on the One. If the rear triangle allows, I would swap to my X-Fusion Vengeance to the front and give it a go.

Also interested to hear more for tire clearance considerations...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hmmmm.....very interesting about the ONE....I will have to get a wheelset and check for everyone...Canfield Bros. are always listening to new ideas, and this is something we have been talking about. We are working on a few projects currently. These projects will include new models to add to our line up.

I personally have very little time on 650b. But it sounds like that is going to change....

Time to find some wheels......

mtbr member
    my rims shipped today... will have all the parts by the 3rd... quick build and put some pics up

mtbr member
    rsullivan, any chance you have pics of when you put 650b on your One? Especially with clearance?

mtbr member
    no but I can probably meet up with him and try and get one....let you know

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Well, I would be happy to do some bi-valley product testing!

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sounds like we need to make it happen Wen ! I'm getting some hoops!!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hoopty humpty! Hey, it would be awesome if you lance, or M could make it out for one of the Tuesday Dig Days on Rush hour. If you have any Canfield swag I could give to the diggers, that would be outstanding...ill pm you!

And then we eat them."

beater
    I posted the comment below a few months ago, in the FS 29er thread. Nice to see others thinking along the same lines...

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    As mentioned above, I have a YS and a Banshee Prime. I know I'm a big-wheeler for the most part, but I'm 6'3" and I just like the way they roll in the lower travel ranges (which is where I started out). The point at which I'm willing to trade travel for smaller wheels is something that I've given some thought to, and while I've been doing that, 650b is gaining ground.

I recently pedaled a Knolly Chilcotin and felt like a bear on a tricycle. Then I hopped on a Delirium and that feeling went away. Both of those frames were size L, which is what my Yelli and my Prime are, too. A friend of mine has a Turner Highline, also a L, and that also felt good to me. So what do I really want for my next bike? Probably a 170mm 650b. I don't have much lift-served around me, but it would be nice to have a pedal-friendly light FR bike. A 650b-compatible One would be on the top of my lust list.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    All Right..... Here it is.... my 2011 Canfield the"ONE" 650B
    My One has gone over a little renovation so to speak..

New color and a new set of wheels----650B that is

There is about 1/4" clearance on the top of the stiffener plate and about 1/4"+ on the bottom with about a 1/2" clearance on the sides of the tires... There is about 1/2"-3/8" clearance when in full compression from the seat tube. Running Stans 650B Flow rims with Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.1.. The 650B x 2.3 might fit the back but will be snug I'd imagine. Will have the first ride tomorrow when I go to the northern part of Michigan for a little light DH action with a little XC thrown in. Just tooling around on the street I feel I need to drop the stem a little to account for the height of the new wheels. Will measure the BB height tomorrow when I get a chance.. both free height and in sag position.
    p.s.- Ignore the downtube decals--- the lady who made them tried to freehand them and not copy the example I gave her. New ones in process now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I wanna be the first to say, AWESOME !!! Super interested in your maiden ride report ! Bike looks proper !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    great paint job also !!

mtbr member
    Thanks Sean..... will see how the first ride goes.....will be taking the old wheels just in case but I suspect needing them!!! LOL
    Was amazed the clearance on the fork. Can use a bigger tire if so desired...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Proper like MC Hammah!

And then we eat them."

beater
    Oh hell yeah. I too, am very curious to hear what you think of it.

This AM, I saw that someone at NSMB posted a pic of an upcoming KHS 650b DH bike, so hopefully burly tires and rims are coming online.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the clearance pics rsullivan, and also see you are running a 66 evo ti, glad to know 650b clears there too.

1/4" clearance from the top of the rear stiffener plate with that tire seems to suggest a close shave when mud is factored in. Definitely looking forward to hearing how it rides. Definitely exciting to know this is possible!

Perhaps in the future as a suggestion to the Bros, a 650b "optimized" rear triangle could be offered as an optional separate item. As this wheel format gains traction, no doubt more tire choices will follow which may require more clearance.

mtbr member
    Well had first day of riding the 650b wheels on the one.... They work very well with this frame. BB was approx 13.5" with a 180mm fork which helped with the pedal strikes. Did not not to much issue with navigating tight trails that where very choppy and twisty. Having a lot of fun with the bike and climbing has improved even if I thought there was nothing to improve. XC trails where faster it seemed even thru the rocky/root filled sections.. will have to start playing with new tires when the 2013 stuff starts coming out.

Inrideo est vita

No good x-post from 650B forum

Hey all,

Sad to report that the 2012 Canfield "The One" fails 650b modification. A Neo-Moto in 2.3 on a TL28 rim can't fit into the frame fully inflated; if you inflate it in there it won't turn. Also, a 2.1 Neo-Moto (on the same rim) rubs continuously & heavily.

Oh well, I'll just have to love it with 26".
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

Big Damn Hero
    Has anyone thought about doing a 650b conversion on the Yelli? I really want a Yelli but have a set a 650b wheels that are just laying around the garage...
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein