mtbr member

Gen. 2 N9 first ride

Let me say, this frame is AWESOME!!! Even though it weighs a bit more than my diSSent, I was able to counter that with a carbon rigid fork. The bike is quick. Handles like a dream and soaks up the bumps like nobody's business. I did a trail system that I do often and even though I was taking it a little easy feeling out the new frame, my average speed increased by over 1 mph. I know, not much, but I was impressed that I was taking it easy and it still increased. It's because the handling of the bike is incredible. It carves the twisties, accelerates like a rocket, and climbs like a goat...

which brings up a small issue...

On many of the climbs, I found that I was spinning out...loosing traction. This is in places I never lost traction before. I'm using the same wheel/tire I had on my diSSent so that hasn't changed. I'm wondering if it's because the short chain stay is allowing me to get more power to the wheel and on the ground? Or when I stand is the geometry of the frame causing the rear to lighten? I rode it just like I rode my diSSent and I never had that issue, but the chain stays were about an 1" longer. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience, especially coming from a longer rear end bike to the N9?

So I'm sure it's something I just have to adjust my ride style slightly to fix. Other than that, I was blown away by this frame. If anyone is on the fence, don't be. Canfield Bros. knocked it out of the park IMO with this new N9 frame. This one's a keeper for sure.

human dehumidifier
    On the climbing aspect, I think you'll need to consciously shift your weight to maintain a balance between rear wheel traction and keeping the front on the ground until it starts happening subconsciously.

I felt the same way about my N9, it's like a guided missile in tight and twisty singletrack compared to the long wheelbase 29ers I'd had before.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice ride review....looking forward to Tuesday to when mine shows up!!
    Last edited by jonshonda; 07-13-2013 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    No pic????

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Assembled a 650B version. So much fun