mtbr member

gearing up for a One, parts suggestions wanted

I've finally gotten the green light from the wife to start saving up for a One. If all goes well and I can sell my Reign for enough $, I'll be making the purchase in late winter. So excited to be supporting fellow Utahns that make a fantastic product!

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on a few parts for my build, especially the suspension and drive-train. Not sure if I should run a 2x10, 1x10, what cranks, what derailleurs, cassette, fork etc. And if I run a 2x10, should I get an MRP guide? For reference, I'm a big dude at 6'3", 235lb, I like to ride through rocks, and I am planning on building it up as a 7" coil model with a large single crown up front.

Sorry for the new-kid comments, but i figure you all know far more than I do. Just looking for some suggestions.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    oh, and I can't find anything that specifies exactly how low the BB is with a 180mm fork. I've just heard it's a bit low.

Canfield Brothers
    With a 170 and an internal headset, I'm at 13.3"bb. With a external and a 170 fork, you will be sitting about 13.5" BB.

The One will fit a front derailleur so you can run a 2X if you like. Either way, you need a chain guide, it keeps the chain from dropping under the lower link.

Running short cranks is manditory on this bike too, I run 160mm but I recommend staying under 170mm lengths.

Recomended parts are short cranks, external lower cup headset and a tall fork (565mm A to C or more).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gearing up for a One, parts suggestions wanted-img_3546%5B1%5D.jpg  

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Parts as of now for my 2012

This will be my build.

2012 Canfield One Blck/BlckLink Large
    Shock CC Double Barrel Coil 2.75
    Chris King 20mm Hub
    Canfield 142 9T Hub
    Mavic EX729 Rims
    DT Swiss Comp Spokes 1.8/2.0
    Minions EXO 2.5 (Tooooooobless)
    2013 Fox Float RC2 180mm
    Chris King Devolution Headset 1-1/8-1.5"
    Avid Code Brakes 180/200
    Shimano Saint Crankset M810-1 68mm with BB 32t ring
    Chainguide Mini MRP 2x
    Sram 1070 9/36 10 speed Casette
    Sram 10 speed Chain
    Sram x9 rear shifter
    Sram x9 Rear Der short
    Raceface Atlas 785 High Rise FR
    35MM Easton Havoc Stem
    ODI Rouge Grips
    WTB Pure V Seat
    Specialized Blacklite (maybe)
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    Peddle much? Then a dropper post. I'd get the new Rase Black Mumba when its released. I've been running the first gen for just over three years with no problems. Period. Well except for the small amount of side-side play that came with the post, which never bothered me, and never got worse. VERY low maintenance, if any. Still going strong.

Apparently the second generation has no play guaranteed, as soon as they are released I'm trading mine in.

You cant go wrong with Marzocchi's offerings and by the sounds of things, same goes for Xfusion. I just sent a DHX Air 5.0 off to Avalanche for some loving. You could find a cheap DHX air or coil and have it upgraded to Avy specs, and then have a killer shock for no more than (that's what it'll cost me) $400. Same goes for forks that are Avy compatible.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    thanks all, that's great info. I didn't know that about the short cranks, but it makes sense. I'll make sure to stay under 170mm. The fork I get will most likely be one of the Fox 180mm offerings, so that will raise the bb height even a tad more. I've got a RS Reverb that I will definitely be switching over to my new build, since half of my riding friends are still uphill-only types, whom I'd like to be able to ride with on occasion, even if I am slower going up than they are. Thanks again all.

Huffy Rider
    If it were my new build, I would run a 1x10 with the new 9t hub. Keeping it simple....I would also look at a stiffer fork for a guy your size. Have fun, I just built up a new bike and it was a hoot!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any recommendation for 160 mm cranks ? They seem to be difficult to find.

mtbr member
    Try Middleburn. I have some new 165's up for grabs

Huffy Rider
    Middleburns. DeVinci has them too, but Middleburn has a warranty that includes using them for DH.

mtbr member
    flymybike, so basically you are saying all my pre-owned parts can go to the trash?

i just got my new 170mm atlas FR cranks that i hoped installing on the ONE im gonna order.

my part plan is like

2011 FOX van 36 rc2 fit kashima with external headset cup
    2012 Raceface FR 170mm crank with Crampon Ultimate pedals.
    and running the bike at 7" or 6.5" mode all the time with air shock.

i think i just made myself cry hehe
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    flymybike, so basically you are saying all my pre-owned parts can go to the trash?

i just got my new 170mm atlas FR cranks that i hoped installing on the ONE im gonna order.

my part plan is like

Your 170mm will work but will have occasional pedal strikes. Running 170mm cranks and a 180mm Marz.66 with the short lower cup anglset on my 2011. No major issues. Just have to learn where you can pedal and where you can't...
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post

my part plan is like

Your fork is the only thing I'd say is a little short. 170 cranks will be fine and the external headset is getting you in the right direction.
    edit: I'm assuming your fork is a 160mm travel. If it's the 180 travel, your perfect. The Marz 66 is 23mm taller than a 160mm Fox 36. fyi
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 160 for the fork.

I guess i will have to run it untill i will find a buyer:-) altough i have a marz 66 rc3 hiding under my bed;-) hmmmm hehe

Thank you for the advice!
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    I ran 160mm fork for the first month or so, then went with a 66. Now I'm back to a 160mm Marz. Currently my One build is on a huge diet, once I learned that my "AM bike" was nearly 38lb. Though that is not the reason for going back to a 160mm.

I had fond memories of the 160, the way it handled always stuck in my mind. It had a very natural controlled feeling. To me it felt very balanced, it had me riding in the bike not on, positioning myself on the bike for different situations was effortless. With the 66 installed I was always adjusting the saddle position and stem height to find a sweet spot, but never could. Changing to wider bars helped, but not enough.

With the Micro Ti installed I'm back at the sweet spot with stem almost slammed. I climb very comfortably with less effort (of course) and I still have the right angles (approx 66d w/zero stack) for when the trail goes down.

mtbr member
    So here is the build list thus far. Thoughts or suggestions?

frame Canfield One XL, Black w/ Red links (possibly white or blue though, still deciding)
    shock VividAir, DHX coil, or CCDB coil
    cranks Race Face Atlas EXI 165mm
    chainrings Race Face Turbine 2x10 24t/36t
    Guide MRP XCG guide 44t/ISCG
    pedals Canfield Crampon
    Brakes Avid Code R 200mm/180mm
    bars Funn Fatboy Riser 30.1"/0.6" rise
    grips ODI Ruffian
    shifters SRAM X9-Bearing 10sp 2x10
    Derailleurs Sram X7 direct mount front
    Sram X9 10 speed rear medium
    wheelset Hope ProII Evo hubs 32h n/a
    DT Swiss Competition Spokes
    DT Swiss FR600 Rims
    Spoke nipples DT Swiss Messing
    Chain Sram PC 1091
    headset Cane Creek Angleset (tapered) ZS49-EC49/40
    stem Funn Strippa stem
    fork Fox Van 180 RLC or Float 180
    tires Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 2.5
    saddle WTB Rocket V Team
    cassette Sram PG-1050 11-32

One question this brought up is the sizing of the direct mount front derailleur. It seems there are numerous bolt pattern options on the market. What type will fit the 2012 One?

And for a guy my size, will a VividAir feel mushy like my current DHXair? I don't like the dhxair at all, btw. Pogo stick near the end of the travel, mushy swamp in the middle. Even with a low volume sleeve installed. I just want something that will be consistent throughout its stroke.

Huffy Rider
    Lose the fox fork, go with CCDB on the rear, love mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Lose the fox fork,
    What would you recommend in its place to keep the 7" or more up front? I had been thinking about getting a Totem as well, but thought that would be a bit overkill.

Huffy Rider
    I run the Totem (DH) and it is not overkill, especially at your weight...you will want those 40's to help with flexing! I would have bought the Marz 66ti if I had the money.

Canfield Brothers
    The front derailleur is a DM (direct mount). It has a slot and one bolt, unlike the other offerings that have two bolts. Get one like a Shimano M-771-D or from Sram, the DM-HO (One bolt plus anti rotation slot).
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    thanks very much! geez, I'm still months away from being able to get the bike and the support is already flowing! Very impressed.

One more question regarding shocks? I'm not sure what option I should go after, and the internets are as usual full of opinions but very little consensus. I was thinking I'd go coil, but I saw that the VividAir and CCDBAir are possible options. Since I pedal fairly often, they are very tempting. I've been liking the sound of the CC, but numerous people have said that it is far more progressive than other offerings. Does the One have a more linear or progressive linkage rate? If i go with the CC, I'd hate to get a progressive linkage and a progressive shock, and end up not being able to use the full travel. Or should I just go with a coil and be done with it?