mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Front Derailleur on a Nimlbe 9

I'm building up a '14 N9 with a 2x up front. Using a direct mount XTR der, the chainstays have to be in the long half of their adjustment so the tire will clear. Not where I want them. I specifically bought this bike for the short CS.
    If I use a regular seat tube clamp mount der (with custom shim), everything clears. But, the frame doesn't have a cable housing stop.
    Anybody have an elegant solution? I could make a custom direct mount block that moved the der forward, but kind of a lot of trouble.

Loosing the 2x is not an option on this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have an XT der I used that worked well, but I couldn't slide a big tire all the way forward. I did have to cut off one of the arms to gain more clearance. If you dig around in the various N9 threads you will find the answer. I am now 1x10, and could be willing to sell you mine.

Canfield Brothers
    Cutting of the down pull arm on the direct mount front derailleur is the way to increase clearance in front of the tire. If the tire gets too big, the side knobs will start hitting the backside of the derailleur cage when the sliders are forward. It's all trade offs, the double will fit with sliders forward but the tire can't be too massive. Otherwise there's a few tweeks that can be done to make things fit better. Adding a spacer on the BB moves the chainline out 2.5mm, which most of the time is enough to get bigger tires to fit. Tire size, chainstay length and chainline all play a role it how it can fit.

Here's a picture of the front derailleur with the down pull arm and a picture on a Yelli with it cut off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Derailleur on a Nimlbe 9-front-derailleur.jpg  

Front Derailleur on a Nimlbe 9-2.4-tire.jpg  

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

beater

Front Derailleur on a Nimlbe 9

This is what I did with the SLX FD my Yelli. It was quick, easy, and gave me the clearance I needed.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.