I'm with stupid

First enduro race on my Riot....................

Well yesterday I went and played bikes in Santa Fe New Mexico. Did the Big Mountain Enduro. This race was pretty punishing, 5,350 ft of climbing over 21.2 miles in a single day. I headed out at 7:35am and did not finish till 1:40pm. I did not stop for longer then to catch my breath and have a quick snack at the water/fuel stops they had set up. Overall this race was the BEST organized BME race I have been to in 3 years. No long lines, check in was fast and well marked out trails, they might be actually learning how to put on a race that feels smooth for the riders. Ok onto the bike.

I will start with 2 statements.
    I will never race without a chain guide again, and two, I should have brought my Balance. First I love my riot for running around and riding local trails and "playing" on the bike. However I can say that I do not think it will be my race bike again. When I know the trails can ride the bike smooth then it is one of the best bike I have owned. It feels like a big wheeled 4x or slalom bike. However, when you are charging trails you do not know except maybe one preride, the margin of error is small. This course was filled with many high speed square edge hit, blown out corners and some bigger drops and bolder bashing, with some smooth single track mixed in. The riot did well in the single track while the speeds were lower/smoother trail (25mph and slower) but became quite twitchy above that. There was a double track we raced down for a part of stage one before diving back into the trees for some steeper slower speed singletrack. ( which the riot excelled at!) It was very terrifying, garmin top speed was 35mph. Sadly the riot became very twitchy and you really "felt" the speed. hit some braking bumps and the back end went all over the place, maybe a coil would fix this but it would not fix my other complaints.
    Stage three/four where tighter single track trails, with plenty of rocks and rock moves in it. The speeds in this were slower average around 14 mph with 22 mph being top speed on stage 3. ( nate hills video of this stage https://youtu.be/MfcswKVgGCA) the riot did quite well on this trail and stage 4. These guys make it look smoother than it really it for us normal human folks. This is the stage I REALLY wish i had my balance. Mainly because I needed a bigger fork the 140mm Pike I have on there. The riot would carry so much speed into the rough sections next thing you knew you were fighting to hold onto the bars because you were under forked. The riot really needs a 160mm fork for this type of riding. I really wish I could put a 160mm on this bike and a coil shock to fix two of my issues (underforked from carring speed into rough sections, bouncy skittish rear end). The bike did survive all of the jumps, drops and rock hits of the weekend that bigger drop in the video was a beast! the landing was to flat too.
    So overall I would say the riot is the right race weapon choice if you are racing on trails that remind you of a 4x track (single track included) where your speeds stay slow enough the bike does not become twitchy and the back end becoming wild. Also if you are willing to really work the bike with a shorter fork over the rough stuff. But if you are a smash rider that turns into a "zero f*cks given type of rider and bang into things a longer travel front end is needed. Overall I really love my Riot, however if your goal is more to go fast then to have fun you might want to look at the balance. I really love my Riot, please do not get me wrong. However, the Balance is a much better go fast choice for me.

mtbr member
    I've got a different impression of my riot. I love my riot. It's my grab for days when I feel like getting extra stupid. I am that smash rider with zero ****s given. And I haven't found myself under forked. And I've yet to experience the skittish rearend that someguys have. I've had mine to windrock bike park and will be taking it to snow shoe soon. But I built mine up with a full dvo package. Diamond fork and topaz shock. Maybe that's where my experience is different then others. But in the riots defense it's not ment to be a enduro race bike. I've ridden a balance a few times and that would be my choice to do enduro races in unfamiliar trails. The balance is a true **** it just huck it bike. Let's face it. Any time you ride a Canfield your having a blast of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bling
    High Tech, couldn't agree more. 160 would be perfect

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    The riot really needs a 160mm fork for this type of riding. I really wish I could put a 160mm on this bike and a coil shock to fix two of my issues"
    So do it man... I am running my Pike at 160 right now with the ZS lower headset and a CCDB Coil IL on my Riot and I am loving that combo.

I have run it with a Fox 34 150 fork and ZS lower headset mod as well. Both felt great. I like the stiffness of my Pike though. I do have a 150 air-shaft for it and will probably try it out later this season.
    2016 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    I've got a different impression of my riot. I love my riot. It's my grab for days when I feel like getting extra stupid. I am that smash rider with zero ****s given. And I haven't found myself under forked. And I've yet to experience the skittish rearend that someguys have. I've had mine to windrock bike park and will be taking it to snow shoe soon. But I built mine up with a full dvo package. Diamond fork and topaz shock. Maybe that's where my experience is different then others. But in the riots defense it's not ment to be a enduro race bike. I've ridden a balance a few times and that would be my choice to do enduro races in unfamiliar trails. The balance is a true **** it just huck it bike. Let's face it. Any time you ride a Canfield your having a blast of time.

When are you hitting Snowshoe? I'll be heading out that way with my Riot shortly as well. At least a few trips this summer. I saw a guy out there on a Balance last year just tearing the park to shreds. It was pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    When are you hitting Snowshoe? I'll be heading out that way with my Riot shortly as well. At least a few trips this summer. I saw a guy out there on a Balance last year just tearing the park to shreds. It was pretty awesome.
    Last weekend in June. June 29 to be exact

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    So do it man... I am running my Pike at 160 right now with the ZS lower headset and a CCDB Coil IL on my Riot and I am loving that combo.

I have run it with a Fox 34 150 fork and ZS lower headset mod as well. Both felt great. I like the stiffness of my Pike though. I do have a 150 air-shaft for it and will probably try it out later this season.
    I would but that is a No No from Canfield. It will void the warranty. Plus seeing as how I tend to break things I would like to keep the warranty. If I were to get the OK from them, it would be done in a heart beat.

I'm with stupid
    Oops I did it again. Raced my Toir ( Riot) this past weekend again. I raced the Big Mountain Enduro at winterpark. This was a MUCH better fit for the Toir. Railing bermed turns like a boss. Stages one and two were park stages, berms, some jumps and a run down Trestle Downhill. Stage 3 and 4 were more raw and back woods feeling. Stage 3 was chunky as hell at the top then pinned at the bottom. Stage 4 just switchback tight loose corners with a lot of sprints out of the corners. The Toir did amazing at all of them. I had planned on taking the Balance but blew up my rear wheel. So I had to switch it up. Slapped some Maxx Grip DHF DH casing tires on and went for it. I slowed the rebound down a bit on both ends to help settle the bike down a bit. The Toir really came to life on these trails. Was still wishing for a longer fork but overall a much better experience then last time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post

What headset are you running?

I was thinking a ZS with a 140 to drop the front end and steepen the bike just a bit, help me weight the front wheel with a 35mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    What headset are you running?

I was thinking a ZS with a 140 to drop the front end and steepen the bike just a bit, help me weight the front wheel with a 35mm stem.
    I'm using a hybrid headset. The upper is a Cane Creek 40 and the lower is from a FSA Orbit E 1.5 ZS 49/49HT. I bought it on eBay. It's only okay at best. It is caged ball bearing and they are little bearings. It is also not sealed in any way. I take it apart pretty frequently to inspect, clean and grease them. I'm not sure how long they'll last. Nice thing is that both the upper and lower from that FSA are the same so I have another set of bearings.

I also have to eat a little crow here as I have switched to 150, still with the ZS lower, and I like the handling much better for most trail use. But the 160 felt amazing on the downs.

That all said, like you I have also been thinking of going 140 with the ZS lower, but only to run a 29x2.5 front and a 27.5x2.8 rear to give me a bit more front roll over and steering precision while keeping the BB lower.

2016 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Last weekend in June. June 29 to be exact

How'd it go at Snowshoe? I had a blast out there with it. Going again in August. Took the Nimble9 last year, and was just blown away at how much fun the Riot was. Got a little worried with the carbon rims, but other than that it was sick.

mtbr member
    How'd it go at Snowshoe? I had a blast out there with it. Going again in August. Took the Nimble9 last year, and was just blown away at how much fun the Riot was. Got a little worried with the carbon rims, but other than that it was sick.
    It went great. Riot performed flawless. Even did a few runs on a plus tired rootdown ba. I road the riot the first day. Then took a balance out for the other 2 days. When I was there there was a guy on a raw riot was that you

mtbr member
    It went great. Riot performed flawless. Even did a few runs on a plus tired rootdown ba. I road the riot the first day. Then took a balance out for the other 2 days. When I was there there was a guy on a raw riot was that you

Awesome to hear. I'm sure it would be awesome to take the Balance out there. I think I went the weekend before you. I do have a raw riot though with a bunch of red components. I have seen a balance out there before, but this trip I was the only Canfield out there. From what I saw at least.

mtbr member
    Awesome to hear. I'm sure it would be awesome to take the Balance out there. I think I went the weekend before you. I do have a raw riot though with a bunch of red components. I have seen a balance out there before, but this trip I was the only Canfield out there. From what I saw at least.
    I was a on the riot then the Balance. And ryan was out there on his Jedi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Oops I did it again. Raced my Toir ( Riot) this past weekend again. I raced the Big Mountain Enduro at winterpark. This was a MUCH better fit for the Toir. Railing bermed turns like a boss. Stages one and two were park stages, berms, some jumps and a run down Trestle Downhill. Stage 3 and 4 were more raw and back woods feeling. Stage 3 was chunky as hell at the top then pinned at the bottom. Stage 4 just switchback tight loose corners with a lot of sprints out of the corners. The Toir did amazing at all of them. I had planned on taking the Balance but blew up my rear wheel. So I had to switch it up. Slapped some Maxx Grip DHF DH casing tires on and went for it. I slowed the rebound down a bit on both ends to help settle the bike down a bit. The Toir really came to life on these trails. Was still wishing for a longer fork but overall a much better experience then last time.
    Are you running a 140 or 150 on the Riot?

I'm with stupid
    Im running the 140. I have emailed Canfield a couple of times about running a bigger fork and even with a zero stack headset The longest is 140mm. It kinda makes me sad because it means more then likely the Riot will be going up for sale and I will be getting a longer travel bike to race with since my balance is too much bike for most tracks. So the gray area between the two is what I need. Goldy lock zone between the riot and a 34lb balance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have you been following the info coming out on the new Carbon version of the Riot/Toir? Between interviews and dropped hints, it has been made known that this new version will easily meet your requests so maybe hold on for that?