mtbr member

A few questions for all you One owners

Hello! I have a 2013 the Obe on order and had a few questions for you guys...first...the shock...they're spec'ing the long shock, and I was wondering if I should invest in the shorter length as well, since I do ALOT of fireroad climbing to access local trails...I'm building the bike up as a burly all mountain/light freeride rig (I'm on a 2008 SC Nomad with 180 float now)...I know it's only a half inch difference, but I really don't want a bike that will peddle worse than the nomad...second, I'm thinking of going with a single ring setup in front...not quite sure if I'm fit enough for it or not, but still deciding...anyone have any experience with a single ring used for AM? Any insight or comments would be awesome! thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Buy the long shock. Trust me, you won't need the short one. There's almost zero benefit in climbing. I rock the bike in 8" mode 100% of the time and climbing is perfect.

mtbr member
    how bout the 135 vs. 142 rear spacing? any performance differences?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarus189 View Post
    Hello! I have a 2013 the Obe on order and had a few questions for you guys...first...the shock...they're spec'ing the long shock, and I was wondering if I should invest in the shorter length as well, since I do ALOT of fireroad climbing to access local trails...I'm building the bike up as a burly all mountain/light freeride rig (I'm on a 2008 SC Nomad with 180 float now)...I know it's only a half inch difference, but I really don't want a bike that will peddle worse than the nomad...second, I'm thinking of going with a single ring setup in front...not quite sure if I'm fit enough for it or not, but still deciding...anyone have any experience with a single ring used for AM? Any insight or comments would be awesome! thanks!
    We are no longer recommending the shorter eye to eye shock as it places the BB too low for this bike, especially with a 170ish fork. I ride my The One in 8" mode and never felt the need for anything less with the climbing capabilities of the One.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    8" CCDB here. Climbs perfect, better than my 2011 enduro.
    I never ride it in the shorter mode either.

I also have a fox float 180, 170mm cranks, external headset. Great combo. I was riding saints with 34t and 9/36 Canfield rear. Just about to put on XO DH cranks with 28t. I need the smaller gear here in the north east even though I may spin(out) faster when downhilling.

ps: If you have an older 180, swap out the airspring and the spring plate to 2013 internals. WAAAAAY linear, not as much ramp up and only costs about $80 for parts. I've done it on 3 forks now.

Best
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    ok, well I guess that solves the shock issue. thanks everyone! now to pick parts and decide on rear hub spacing (135 vs. 142)...doesn't seem like one is any better than the other...I wish I didn't have to wait till May for the frame...

mtbr member
    135 might be more versatile to go on different bikes but that would be the only advantage. 142 will save you from having to deal with little spacers when removing or installing the wheel.

mtbr member
    ok, well I guess that solves the shock issue. thanks everyone! now to pick parts and decide on rear hub spacing (135 vs. 142)...doesn't seem like one is any better than the other...I wish I didn't have to wait till May for the frame...
    I would go with the 142mm, there are alot more offerings on hubs out there without out having to mod. I sometimes wish I would upgrade from 2011 to the 2012....but that all fades away when I go out and ride my 2011..... just too much fun!!!
    Enjoy the new bike. The brothers and Sean/Vin are a awesome group to deal with.
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...psb5c701c1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a '12 The One and I had an '11 all last summer. Had it as my main DH bike through the summer but once I got the '12 I've converted to an AM rig in the recent months.

I fully agree with everyone else, I noticed no difference in the pedaling performance in the different shock settings, just the lower BB. I love the way this bike rides in the 8" mode, no reason to change it...

For a transmission I went with the Bros' 9t Micro Drive hub and a 28t Bling Ring for a drive. my gearing is 28x9-36, and I have to say, it's amazing. It's been stellar so far, though I have noticed that I may run out of high end once I start getting into some of the faster stuff (once the snow melts off), the low end is primo! The bike's suspension is designed around a smaller front ring, so anything 30 or under really shines. I am astounded by the amount of pedaling force this bike has with my current setup.

As for a hub, go with 142. Unless you're swapping the wheel with another bike that needs a 135, you'll be much better off with a 142. It slides right into place with no hassles, the spacers used with the 135, not so much.

My Tranny

mtbr member

not true. 142 is better.

You'll understand the first time you install a 135/12 wheel (there are no alignment features, you just have to shove the axle in and wiggle it around until it gets all the way through, while the chain is pulling on the hub).

Also when you try to find a 135/12 hub. I don't know of any 135/12 hubs that can't be run 142, but there are a few 142s that don't go down to 135.

The One's suspension is so much better than vpp in climbing, it doesn't matter how much travel it has, it pedals the same in short or long mode, with either shock. All the shorter one will do is lower your bb.

mtbr member
    thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post

For a transmission I went with the Bros' 9t Micro Drive hub and a 28t Bling Ring for a drive. my gearing is 28x9-36, and I have to say, it's amazing. It's been stellar so far, though I have noticed that I may run out of high end once I start getting into some of the faster stuff (once the snow melts off), the low end is primo! The bike's suspension is designed around a smaller front ring, so anything 30 or under really shines. I am astounded by the amount of pedaling force this bike has with my current setup.

My Tranny
    Agree completely with your comment. Makes me wonder why more people haven't got on board with the Microdrive. IMO, it's the best set up available.

I had a look at your tranny link. Two quick questions, how's the Reverb Stealth working out for you and is that a XL frame?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    already building up some wheels with orange king hubs...planning on doing a 2 ring setup in front.

Canfield Brothers
    already building up some wheels with orange king hubs...planning on doing a 2 ring setup in front.
    MTBR needs a "LIKE" button for responses... HAHAHA

mtbr member
    I was leaning towards the single ring, but I just don't think I'm fit enough...which is kind of a shame because the single ring setup looks really clean and uncluttered....And I really don't want to buy all the stuff for a single ring, find out it's too hard, then have to switch back again...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Agree completely with your comment. Makes me wonder why more people haven't got on board with the Microdrive. IMO, it's the best set up available.

I had a look at your tranny link. Two quick questions, how's the Reverb Stealth working out for you and is that a XL frame?
    Ya I'm really on board with this now, it's great!

I wrote up a little bit here on The One and the reverb stealth, with some pics. It was actually very easy and works like a charm. That's my '11 frame but it's the same on the '12, both larges. Needed to buy a new one once I upgraded to the '12, so on this one I went with a right side trigger upside down on the left, more in position of where my thumb already is, and prevents the button from depressing when the bike gets turned upside down on handlebars and seat.

mtbr member
    I was leaning towards the single ring, but I just don't think I'm fit enough...which is kind of a shame because the single ring setup looks really clean and uncluttered....And I really don't want to buy all the stuff for a single ring, find out it's too hard, then have to switch back again...
    This is all providing you have the money to do so. But if you are worried about being able to pedal a 32 tooth ring, you could do what a lot of people are doing, which is getting a sram crank with a removable chainring spider. That way, you can run single rings that are lower than 32 teeth. I just got my 28t direct mount ring from North Shore billet. I havent tested it out yet, but it looks like it will be great.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    maybe something to think about in the future...Gonna play it safe for now I think. Does the One come with a rear axle or will I have to buy one? I kinda assume it doesn't since there are two axle length options.

Canfield Brothers
    maybe something to think about in the future...Gonna play it safe for now I think. Does the One come with a rear axle or will I have to buy one? I kinda assume it doesn't since there are two axle length options.
    The One comes with a 12mm axle and as well as the 135mm spacers. We would certainly recommend a 142 hub as it drops right in.