mtbr member
    Apr 2013

E13 9-46 cassette rubbing Riot seat stay

I was just wondering if anyone else was running the subjected cassette and has had any frame contact issues in the 9t cog. It seems like how tight the thru axle is plays a large role in how much chain to frame contact I get. I don't mind making it "just tight enough" but I don't really trust the pinch bolt to hold the axle securely. I've seen one thread with someone who cracked their frame at that pinch bolt and I don't want to overdo it. The bros don't seem to use torq specs very much.

mtbr member
    I have this on my balance with no issues, just as a note, Gronking down on the pinch bolt is not needed, its simply preventing loosing of the axle, so is relatively low stress, the reason that person snapped theirs was because of excessive torque...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Canfield Brothers
    I had a call this weekend about the same issue, I had him pull his cassette and double check the hub and cassette was tight. Also insure you don't have a cassette spacer in the wrong location. That solved his rubbing.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What kind of torque do you want on that set screw?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I get that you don't want to overtighten that pinch bolt. I've had the axle back out a couple times. I have found that the pinch bolt does not like to be loosened and then retightened without new loctite put on.

I do not have a spacer that I'm aware of on the freehub body but I'll check.

Chris Bling
    I have had this happen with an EPO and a Balance with Onyx hubs. Not sure what's different. The 9-44 on my Riot has never rubbed

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Maybe ill reach out to onyx and see if they have had anymore reported issues like this. It cannot be just Canfield frames that are affected.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a Riot and am running that 9-46 cassette with zero rubbing, same spacings as the xx1 cassette it replaced. The install on these cassettes is a bit of a pain so I would check that as well. Torque the lock ring appropriately and its not easy to get that second piece to get in tight enough to lock in place. It is a 11 speed though and should have exact same width as any other 11 speed cassette. Other than that, is the freehub all the way seated?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Contacted onyx and already got a reply back.

From onyx: We have had a couple of calls on the XD drivers running a little tight on the frames with E-13 cassettes. We have a end cap that is slightly longer than the stock to help offset this.

They are going to ship me an end cap. Quick reply and great customer service from them!

Dusty, this sounds like what you may need as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just wanted to share an update for this. Onyx sent me the new end cap for the drive side and it was extremely easy to install. It added about 3-4mm of extra spacing to make chain clearance a non issue. Just took adjustment of my limit screws to get everything back in line.

If anyone is having this issue, I would just call Onyx and have them send out the end cap.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    Just wanted to share an update for this. Onyx sent me the new end cap for the drive side and it was extremely easy to install. It added about 3-4mm of extra spacing to make chain clearance a non issue. Just took adjustment of my limit screws to get everything back in line.

If anyone is having this issue, I would just call Onyx and have them send out the end cap.
    Thanks for the follow up! I'll keep that on mind. I could use a few extra mm's!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels