mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Dual Crown on a Balance?

Hi all,

Fairly new owner of a 2017 Balance here. I have been riding this bike like crazy and loving it! This last weekend I did a ton of shuttle runs at a local downhill spot and decided to race DH for the first time this season. I can't get another bike this year and will race on the Balance. I'm going to get new wheels to have dedicated Dh tires on and also so that I don't destroy my carbon trail wheels.

Anyway, I understand that the Balance is rated for a dual crown fork Please, correct me if this is wrong). Is that just one lowered to 180mm or can I go full 200mm? With my calculations, the 200mm gives a 63.5 degree HTA with 0 BB drop. Comparable to a DH bike, just missing the rear travel. Is this a good idea, or should I just bump the Fox 36 to 180mm and roll with what I got? Will it be too unbalanced with still only having 165mm in the rear? I don't think I would bother with a dual crown at 180mm. I can also lower the height with a zero stack lower cup because the steerers on dual crown forks are 1 1/8".

Opinions and experiences with this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I raced my balance all last year with a 200mm fork on it.

It's why we did the extra gusset on the DT on the 2017's.

Go for it!
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post

Go for it!
    Haha!

When the guy who's name is on your bike's downtube says to do the thing you want to do anyway, I suppose you have to do it!

Fork and wheel bits ordered tonight. Thank you for the help, and for putting out such a killer bike.

I'm with stupid
    Wish my 16 frame could do this so I could make it into my DH/Park rig. I have too much overlap with a riot and a balance one needs to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Wish my 16 frame could do this so I could make it into my DH/Park rig. I have too much overlap with a riot and a balance one needs to go.
    I got lucky there. I had to buy used and sent emails to a guy with a '16 and a guy with a '17. The guy with the '17 got back to me first. I hadn't even considered a dual crown before this last weekend of downhill riding. Thanks again for the recommendation in my other thread. I'm so glad I went for it without a test ride. It really does blow away the Patrol and Nomad 4 I tried. Some of that is that it is built to my preferences and the suspension is high quality and dialed in, but still, a lot of it is the bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is the route i'm probably going to go as well, with all the resorts "flowing" out the trails and my new riding style, I just dont see a need for big suspension in the back anymore. I have the riot now for my local riding, would like to have a bigger bike for the rowdy days

Professional Hobbyist

Go for it!
    Were there any other differences between the 16 and 17 Balance frames? I have a 16 and thought the only change was to the stock shock option.

Did some dual crown destruction testing result in the additional gusseting? Is the 17 heavier with the extra gussets?

My 16 is a large but perhaps a little small for me. I almost pulled the trigger over the holidays on one of the last 17 XLs...
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

mtbr member
    ^^Water bottle mount on the front of the downtube as I recall was the only other difference. The side gussets on the ‘16 head tube make it plenty strong tho IMHO. My guess is it would still work just fine with a dual crown fork as long as you’re not a heavyweight or a hack but CBros strives for zero warranty returns so...

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

I'm with stupid
    I thought the water bottle mounts were the only difference as well. But seems not to be the case. Wish we could hear back on if the 16 is approved or not.

mtbr member
    ^^ The lower down tube gusset at the head tube was the big difference and they will not warranty a '16 frame if you use a dual crown fork on it. I'm not worried and plan to run my Lyrik at 180mm this season on my '16. Again, I think you would have to be a real hack or huge time hucker to ever worry but that's just my opinion. Maybe Chris will comment.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    The 16 wasn't tested thru a 200mm fork. I'm sure it could handle it, of course.

All bikes have only a limited amount of flex cycles in their life. (downhill laps flexing the most)
    That gusset under the DT/HT will double up that area's strength to handle long-term 200mm fork use.

That being said= we haven't seen a 16 with a HT area failure.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

I'm with stupid
    The 16 wasn't tested thru a 200mm fork. I'm sure it could handle it, of course.

All bikes have only a limited amount of flex cycles in their life. (downhill laps flexing the most)
    That gusset under the DT/HT will double up that area's strength to handle long-term 200mm fork use.

That being said= we haven't seen a 16 with a HT area failure.
    Sweet thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well that escalated quickly.

It sits at 32.4 with a 36 and Enve wheels. This adds almost exactly 5 pounds. Probably 2.5 of that is tires. This is just for going down though. I'll go back to the lighter build for the enduro's.

Cant wait to ride it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Crown on a Balance?-img_2537.jpg  

I'm with stupid
    Sick bike man!!! I was looking at forks last night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Sick bike man!!! I was looking at forks last night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it, won't know for sure what I have till I actually get on a real downhill ride. But I was so impressed with it with the 170 fork, can't imagine its not going to be awesome with real tires and more travel.

Curious to see what you get for a fork. I don't really have experience with any of the dual crowns so just went with Fox, mostly because I have them on my other bikes and they work pretty well as long as they don't say 32 on the side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krylon1892 View Post
    Well that escalated quickly.

It sits at 32.4 with a 36 and Enve wheels. This adds almost exactly 5 pounds. Probably 2.5 of that is tires. This is just for going down though. I'll go back to the lighter build for the enduro's.

Cant wait to ride it!
    How is your Balance that light? Mine medium was weighed at 35.4 lbs without a dropper! I am running a Yari and Spank 345's. I know my Michelin Reinforced tires weigh a lot but not 3 lbs more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    How is your Balance that light? Mine medium was weighed at 35.4 lbs without a dropper! I am running a Yari and Spank 345's. I know my Michelin Reinforced tires weigh a lot but not 3 lbs more.
    Well, a bunch of it is in the stuff you listed. I have about a pound on you on the wheels and if your tires are the Wild Rock'R2, I have another half pound with my DHF/Aggressor combo.

Can't say about the rest not knowing your build. but a hundred grams here fifty there adds up. I hate my Guide's as far as working like brakes all the time, but they are light. As are Sram cassettes. The Hope cranks aren't light by any means, but they are a lot lighter than some. Also pedals can be shockingly heavy. I have a pair of Kona's that are basically bricks. A lot of this build came off a 5" carbon bike, so not crazy burly stuff. More on the carbon bar/Ti railed saddle side of things.

My $20 digital fish scale from Amazon might also just be particularly optimistic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krylon1892 View Post
    Well, a bunch of it is in the stuff you listed. I have about a pound on you on the wheels and if your tires are the Wild Rock'R2, I have another half pound with my DHF/Aggressor combo.

Can't say about the rest not knowing your build. but a hundred grams here fifty there adds up. I hate my Guide's as far as working like brakes all the time, but they are light. As are Sram cassettes. The Hope cranks aren't light by any means, but they are a lot lighter than some. Also pedals can be shockingly heavy. I have a pair of Kona's that are basically bricks. A lot of this build came off a 5" carbon bike, so not crazy burly stuff. More on the carbon bar/Ti railed saddle side of things.

My $20 digital fish scale from Amazon might also just be particularly optimistic.
    It's a fish scale... that's your problem!

It was this big! (---------------------------)