mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Which dropper post for 2016 Canfield Balance?

My rockshox reverb from 5 years ago is the wrong diameter so I need a new one.

Can this bike run internal routing? It seems tons of posts require internal routing so which one is a good option? Any good sales now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm really enjoying my 9point8 dropper in 175mm. The seat rail attachment is nice. '16 Balance takes 30.9 and has internal routing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a 9point8 on both my bikes now. As Rone Turner said, the seat attachment is fantastic. Only complaint i have is the need attention on the foam ring too often, but it is a good excuse to pull the post for inspection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    I have a 9point8 on both my bikes now. As Rone Turner said, the seat attachment is fantastic. Only complaint i have is the need attention on the foam ring too often, but it is a good excuse to pull the post for inspection.
    What is the symptom of the foam ring needing attention?

I've got a couple hundred miles on my 9point8, and for the most part, I love it. But I had it out for the first time in wet/gritty conditions on Saturday, and it stopped raising, or was super sloooooowwwww to raise about 2 hours into a 4+ hour ride. Action was still smooth, but the post had a ton of stiction.

I haven't had time to pull it apart yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    TX_CLG, have you serviced yours? Or are you talking about just unscrewing the collar, cleaning and relubeing the wiper seal. I ask because I have a year on mine and it's not as smooth as it was and it's got a scratch on the post, coming from something inside. Building a Riot and waiting on the back ordered fork, so I put its dropper on the Balance till the Riot needs it back. Then I'll do the service on all of the parts of the Balance. Fork, shock and dropper.
    Also are you from Texas? Asking because of your signature. Just curious as I live just west of Ft. Worth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I should have said it is still smooth just doesn't move as quickly. Slows down in the middle coming up. Lots of stiction. My shop is too busy to want to mess with it and not sure how to service it. So wondering if I can send it in for service or if I should just service it myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I did the cleaning / relube of the wiper seal and it resolved it.

Still need to send my 150mm one back for full service as I wrecked hard and it rotated the top of the seat clamp from the post. Ended up fixing that with a new o-ring and locktite. I'm down in Houston as well. I'll either send it back in or just rebuild it myself when it gets hotter. There are some good videos for service on their website and I'd say it looks similar to rebuilding a fork in difficulty (without the bleeding hassle). Parts come from Canada though and shipping is not that cheap so order all the stuff you think you might need.

mtbr member
    I got the Race Face 150mm dropper from Canfield, discounted when buying with frame. I had read that the earlier posts had problems but it's going on a year now and I've had no problems, it does what it's supposed to do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Got the Raceface 150 from Canfield with my Balance. 3rd ride and it wouldn't stay put. Up or down. Bought the 9point8 175, then found out the Raceface just needed a reset. Hold lever all the way in for 3 seconds. Liked the extra drop and the clamp better on the 9point8. But no problems with the Raceface.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Whatever you do please please do not purchase a Raceface/Easton, YES they did license the basic technology from 9point8, NO it is not the same quality or implementation. I have warrantied 4 posts from RF/Easton but my original 9point8 is going strong (as is my Thomson). Just look through the forums as well as product reviews on online retailers. Call 9point8 themselves and have them tell you how many people call them to complain about the RF/Easton deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What length should I get? 150, 175, or 200 for a medium. 9point8 sounds like the most recommended option

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    What length should I get? 150, 175, or 200 for a medium. 9point8 sounds like the most recommended option
    Assuming weight isn't a concern, I'd generally recommend the longest stroke you can fit on the bike. As the Balance has a long straight seat tube that is on the short side for size means you can likely a fairly long post. That said, I don't think many riders who ride medium frames can fit the 200. The key is to measure the available space above the seat tube clamp collar to the saddle rails as well as the available insertion depth in the frame and compare to the spec's on the post. One of these 2 measurements will be what limits the stroke you can fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I run the Fox Transfer and it's been flawless for the past 11 months. The new X-Fusion post also looks pretty attractive, though it's apparently only out in 125mm so far.

I run a 150mm dropper on my Large Balance, with a fair bit of exposed seatpost. I could easily fit a 175mm post (6'0”, 32" inseam).

Depending on your body and on the particular post, I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit a 150mm post in your medium. Still better measure first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I run the 175 and could almost run the 200, but it would be close. Surprised how much difference 25mm makes. The 150 had me wanting the seat a little lower. So the 175 is just right. Measure as stated above to be sure. Then go as far down as you can.

mtbr member
    If I were buying today, I'd go with the Bikeyoke Revive. A 160mm post with the height of a 150mm post, bleed valve, and serviceable at home all sound good to me.

Also, the simplicity and lower cost of the E13 post is appealing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I am also running a FOX Transfer Factory (Kashima) since it was released with external routing (since one of my frames does not have internal cable routing).

It is running flawlessly, but I have encountered a small problem with it - when the collar was too close to the seat post clamp, it started leaking oil from the seal - it was leaving a thin line of residue on the stanchion. Moving the collar upwards (like 1-2cm / 1inch) it fixed the problem.

I am transferring the Transfer to my new Balance frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had amazing life span and usage out of my original RS Reverb on my ONE, so when building the balance I went with RS again but got the new B1 with 150mm travel.

Love it.

Super easy to bleed and install. Very reliable, so far. And my shop says they're easy enough to service, although expensive for the kit.

I want to like the 9point8/RF/Easton one, but I have heard of way too many issues from all of those brands to be comfortable.