mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Double Barrel Air and the 2011-2012 ONE

Thought I'd start a thread for CCDB Air owers who went this shock route with their 2011-2012 One, and want to suggest/try other settings.

I'm still playing around with settings myself, but at current moment, I'm at:

HSC - 0 turns (out of 4)
    LSC - 6 clicks (out of 12)
    HSR - 2 turns (out of 4)
    LSR - 6 clicks (out of 12)
    Air can shims - None (max volume)
    Frame travel - 8" travel mode
    Sag - 33%

So far I'm only getting about 6.5 inches of travel or so with some local AM riding, even with the HSC dialed all the way down. I did also dial down the LSC to 0 to see what it felt like, but ended up bumping it back up to clean up some pedal induced shock movement. I haven't yet hit any DH yet, but will so in a few weeks.

I'm curious, what other peoples settings are. Post up yours if you're running a DB Air!

Canfield Brothers
    cosmoworks, thanks for posting up your settings!!! I just finished building my the One tonight and will start dialing my DB Air this week. I'll start with your settings as a guide and will let you know where I go from there.

Here's a teaser of my 30ish lb All Mountain build...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Barrel Air and the 2011-2012 ONE-dscf0966.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^ that is such a tease, looking good there! Can't wait to see the end result! That CCDB Air sounds like an awesome shock, interested to hear all your ride impressions with the One.

mtbr member
    30ish lbs?

Need moar pics.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2004

Same for the Diggle?

Running the CCDB Air on the Diggle which should be very similar.

HSC - .5 turns (out of 4)
    LSC - 8 clicks (out of 12) have a few more clicks because of AM use
    HSR - 2 turns (out of 4)
    LSR - 6 clicks (out of 12)
    Air can shims - None (max volume)
    Frame travel - 8" travel mode - it pedals just as well in the 8" mode vs. the 6.5 and 7 inch mode so why not
    Sag - 33%

When I first started running it I couldn't use the last 3/4" of stroke. Now that I've put a lot of rides on it it is closer to maybe not using the last 1/4". Still haven't even come close to bottoming it.

Chris

mtbr member
    cant get full travel with the CCDB on the ONE?

is that because its a progressive linkage with a very progressive shock?

what air shocks can get full travel on the ONE?
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT
    I'll start with your settings as a guide and will let you know where I go from there.
    Awesome Vin! Keep us posted on what you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    When I first started running it I couldn't use the last 3/4" of stroke. Now that I've put a lot of rides on it it is closer to maybe not using the last 1/4". Still haven't even come close to bottoming it.
    Same thing here, can't use the last 1/2"-3/4" stroke. Have you tried lowering HSC to 0, and seeing if you use up anymore of that last 1/4"? We definitely have simliar settings though. I'm glad to see that some of it might just be a breaks-in issue.

Quote Originally Posted by katsooba
    cant get full travel with the CCDB on the ONE?

is that because its a progressive linkage with a very progressive shock?

what air shocks can get full travel on the ONE?
    The air can on the DB Air is HUGE, so it seems that it would be less progressive than any other air shock out there. I think it's just heavily damped is why I'm not getting full travel. I've gotten full travel one a ONE from other air shocks before (monarch, dhx-a). Maybe the high-speed compression circuit could stand to have a shim removed?

Roll on Spring Time!
    I really dont think running zero HSC is the solution for getting full travel. HSC is not only to controll BO but has an effect on how the shock handles high speed impacts, which are not only caused on big drops and hits but big chunky rocks at high speed. You may want to also feel how the ride changes with and without HSC and not just focus on the amount of unused travel.
    I just want to ride.

Canfield Brothers
    Still haven't been out on her yet.. had a RAD day shuttling zee Jedi yesterday... HOPEFULLY, I'll get out on her tomorrow...

More pics over in supramk388's 2012 One Thread...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Barrel Air and the 2011-2012 ONE-img_1744.jpg  

mtbr member
    any updates on how the DBair performs? No travel-limiting issues with the progressive rate shock?
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    any updates on how the DBair performs? No travel-limiting issues with the progressive rate shock?
    I got in a quick Galby lap yesterday morning on my One, using cosmoworks settings as a starting point, and I was just about at full travel. The DB Air feels WAY less progressive than other air shocks I have ridden. (For the record I have not been on a Vivid nor a Vector Air yet).

I'll post up a better review next the week, (We are in the middle filming a couple of new Jedi edits with one of our East coast riders, Matt Lareau with Skyline Media this week.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So far I have a total of 9 rides on it now. Mostly AM rides where I was getting 6.5" of travel or so. Not sure if it was different trails I was riding yesterday or if the shock is just breaking in - but I'm using up more travel now (about 1/4"-3/8" of stroke left on yesterday's rides).

Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    any updates on how the DBair performs?
    As for pedaling, it's AMAZING. I think even in 8" travel mode, the DB Air climbs better than other air shocks I've tried in 7" mode. I've ridden a Monarch, DHX-A, and H3LT on a ONE, and think the DB Air takes the crown. The settings I'm at work great to keep pedal induced shock movement at bay, but still gives easily when it needs to, when climbing techy terrain. Honestly, IMO I think there's no need to run this shock in the 7" mode - even for climbing.

Coming downhill, the shock feels really smooth. It's very supported in the travel, and the damping is consistent throughout. Trail chunder is completely "erased", and it almost felt like I was floating through the rock gardens on yesterday's ride. I got the same feeling on the monarch, but the monarch would wallow a bit while running the same section. Only hit some small mini jumps so far, but takeoffs and landing are very controlled.

Going to hit up the bike parks in a few weeks and will see how it feels on some faster DH runs. This may just be the end of my coil/air swapping days.... if it performs how I hope it will.

Looking forward to KillingtonVT's detailed review.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What we have noticed with our CCDB air testing is the shock is very progressive. I know this is the nature of an air damper. We are going to experiment with the adjustment "spacers" included in the shock. Really smooth shock. I am running the COIL on my Jedi and it is very smooth in the chop. Make sure you don't run too much LSC, your small bump will suffer.

Good thread Cosmo~

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    What we have noticed with our CCDB air testing is the shock is very progressive. I know this is the nature of an air damper. We are going to experiment with the adjustment "spacers" included in the shock. Really smooth shock. I am running the COIL on my Jedi and it is very smooth in the chop. Make sure you don't run too much LSC, your small bump will suffer.

Good thread Cosmo~
    Are you going to add spacers to the air can? This makes it even more progressive. No spacers installed from the factory. I even took mine apart to make sure that this was the case. Great shock but tuning takes some time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    What we have noticed with our CCDB air testing is the shock is very progressive. I know this is the nature of an air damper.
    Thanks for the update. So when you say very progressive, do you mean it's far too much, or borderline too much, or is it liveable? I've shimmed my DHXair before, and lowering to volume did seem to mellow the hard spike in compression rate at the top, but it did take away a lot of the sensitivity it had throughout the center of its travel. Hopefully this won't be the case with the CCDBair.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    May 2012

DB Coil

I am running a DB coil on my '12 One. Only had 4 rides so far. Starting to get a better feel for how to set the shock up.

This is for the DB Coil (just in case you guys want a comparison not derailing topic):
    - It was a bit hard to judge at first so I got a feel for it at all ZERO an proper sag.

So far for me it has been
    HSC/1.5
    LSC/8
    HSR/1.5
    LSR/8

Still figuring it out but feels close.
    I am getting full travel.

Good Luck
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

Huffy Rider
    I am running the coil on my Diggle, got 33% sag on a 300lb spring. I have bottomed it a couple times. I use it only for DH/FR lift and shuttle service, and I stopped fiddling with it after 6 rides, this is where I ended up.

HSC 2.25
    LSC 9
    HSR 2
    LSR 10

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Update: So after a month on the DB Air, I can say it's definitely feeling a little more supple and broken in. This weekend we hit up some DH and I used about 7.5" travel, and my buddy got near full travel using the same shock settings.

On one of the longer more flowy runs I tried lowering HSR to get the back to pick up a bit, but ended going right back to 2 turns. I'll probably play with it a little more and see if I like the feel of a tad less HSR. Also I can see if you wanted to ride more AM, a few clicks more of LSC might help.

mtbr member
    hey guys,

how are you liking the DBAIR on the ONE?

i still havent found a proper setup for me, im 165 lbs fully geared, and running 130psi on the shock to get 30% sag

does this sound okay? i can get the last 1\2 inch of travel on the shock, but if i run less pressure than this i just sink in the bike

btw, here it is, at 15.6 kilos [34.3 lbs i guess]
    and i think i could shave a few more lbs from it

sorry for the lame pic
    took it during work hehe

i promise a few better ones this weekend

Double Barrel Air and the 2011-2012 ONE-img-20121023-wa0004.jpg
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    need to get the new high volume inner can from Cane Creek. It's free. Most of the bigger suspension shops (Garage Works, Suspension Experts, Dirt Labs) will service it and get the can from Cane Creek or I think you can send it into Cane Creek and have them do it.

The new can is suppose to allow a normal sag and still get full travel. Hopefully my can will be in next week so I can get it installed.

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l View Post
    need to get the new high volume inner can from Cane Creek. It's free. Most of the bigger suspension shops (Garage Works, Suspension Experts, Dirt Labs) will service it and get the can from Cane Creek or I think you can send it into Cane Creek and have them do it.

The new can is suppose to allow a normal sag and still get full travel. Hopefully my can will be in next week so I can get it installed.

Chris
    Just wondering if you got the new aircan installed yet? If so, how did it change the feel?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Just wondering if you got the new aircan installed yet? If so, how did it change the feel?
    There is also an external high volume air can (not free) coming from Cane Creek early in 2013 (January?) to allow even more tuning possibilities... for some frames the inner air sleeve changes are not enough to allow full travel to occur.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    There is also an external high volume air can (not free) coming from Cane Creek early in 2013 (January?) to allow even more tuning possibilities... for some frames the inner air sleeve changes are not enough to allow full travel to occur.
    Hmm, did you get that from CC or you bikeshop? Is there enough space between the resevoir and the existing air can to make it wider?

I really want to get this shock, but it still sounds like they're sorting it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Hmm, did you get that from CC or you bikeshop? Is there enough space between the resevoir and the existing air can to make it wider?

I really want to get this shock, but it still sounds like they're sorting it out.
    That's straight from CC.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ahh, haven't got it yet. Haven't had the time. I've been riding a Avy mod'ed DHX in the meantime. I have to get up to Denver sometime this week.

Chris