mtbr member
    May 2004

The Diggle Project

The Diggle Project

I've owned 3 Canfields. Boo, they've all cracked In the beginning I bought a used One (I think the original owner cracked it). Loved it but damn, do I really need all this travel? Got a Sauce and it was the bees knees, until it cracked after 3 months (hey, I tried it with a 160mm fork, upfront even Chris questioned if it would hold up but said giver a go). Ended up with my second One frame that lasted over a year but then it cracked at the seattube. Damn, I was depressed because I loved, loved, loved the bike. I was in shock for awhile. But I came up with the idea that if I could ever find a Diggle frame I could put an air shock on it and build it up light. I'm just an all mountain guy, the new One is way overkill for me and I wouldn't do the bike justice.

Searching for a Successor
    What could replace the great climbing and super plush suspension of the One? First off was the Banshee Rune. I grew to hate it because the suspension wasn't that great. Next up was the Nomad v2. It was a damn good bike. It climbed good and descended like a tank, just point it and hold on. But when Titus had their blowout sale I just had to get and try out the El Guapo. I pitted these two frames against each other for a year, swapping parts back and forth on the frames, until the EG came out the winner. I was set on the EG and started putting some fancy bits on it (Lyrik fork, Avy Chubbie). But then I found a deal on a Diggle I couldn't pass up.

Finding the Diggle
    I give thanks to Evil Sylvain. He had both a Diggle and a One v1. His Diggle didn't get much use because he rode the One most of the time. Well lucky for me he cracked the One, and thought the new version would cover the bases of the old One and Diggle.

The Plan - the "Franken-Diggle"
    I bought the complete Diggle frame and rear of the old One, along with links and parts. The plan was to build it up light by using the Diggle front, the old One rear, and an airshock (Monarch Plus).

Initial Build Problems
    When I started building it everything went wrong. The bearings were all loose in the top link. Finally found a bearing shop in town that had want I needed, Locktite 680. After a locktite operation the link was good to go. Next, the frame was in great shape but the pivot bolts weren't. Most had iffy threads (the threads in the frame were not great but ok). After grinding down to good threads and installing the frame was good to go, The weight of the frame was better than expected, 7.7 lbs (medium frame) with the Monarch Plus.

The Build
    Medium frame (Diggle front, v1 One rear), Monarch Plus rear shock, Lyrik 2 step fork; XTR crank, derailleurs, cassette and brakes,

The Ride
    All I can say is why the hell is this bike not in production?? This thing absolutely kills it, I mean kills it. I consider it one of the best all-mountain bike out there. I can't put it enough into words how good this bike is. The parallel link suspension is the bomb, can't see why anyone else is not licensing from the Brothers.
    Climbing - the pedaling action is light and crisp. It has an easier pedal feel than the VPP, FSR, and VF4B suspension I've tried. It just seems more efficient in energy transfer to the peddles or less force being needed for the cranks to move. No it's not xc bike or hard tail efficient but it is better than any 5"/6" bike out there. In my opinion it's the best full suspension peddling platform out there. Another standout trait is technical climbing. Traction is outstanding as the tire just stays glues to the terrain.
    Straight and Level - The Diggle just likes to move! Acceleration is superb, put the peddle down and the bike gets going. Again better acceleration than the others out there. The bike just likes to flat out go fast and fly. Easy to get momentum going and then it doesn't want to slow down. Maneuverability is good when you do slow it down. On a local trail there is a hairpin descending switchback that is littered with rocks. I've analyzed it many times but never had the confidence to give it ago. The Diggle gave me the confidence and somehow I made it on my first attempt, bravo!
    Descents - It's a Canfield, enough said. This thing kills the descents. It feels big and burly, almost like driving a tank. You can just run over stuff. Just inspires so much confidence in descending. Again the suspension is the bomb. The longer chainstays to due tend to keep the front from coming up but a little body english takes care of that.

The question???
    Right now I'm using a Monarch Plus 8.5x2.5 with the top hole giving 6.5" of travel. The bottom bracket height is perfect at 13.5. I'm tempted to use the lower hole to get 7.5" of travel. But there is a problem: there is interference with the top part of the link contacting the airshock shaft when the shock is near full travel. For those who have used both holes, how do they compare? how does climbing in both compare?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Diggle Project-diggle-front.jpg  

The Diggle Project-diggle2.jpg  

The Diggle Project-diggle3.jpg  

The Diggle Project-diggle4.jpg  

The Diggle Project-diggle56.jpg  

The Diggle Project-diggle7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice to see a Diggle brought back to life. Hopefully you won't crack this one anytime soon Had a friend who had one and he ripped on it as well.

As far as your question on why they are no longer in production. There is the "new" One which takes the Diggle concept further if you will. If you can imagine, the new One is even better if you want a slacker bike, but the Diggle is no slouch as you know.

You are right, these bikes are amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I got the new One frame but I knew it was just to much bike for me. All I'm really looking for is a 6" travel all mountain bike. I live in Colorado Springs so I need a bike that can do the long ups and to do the bigs downs. And most of my riding is right out my backdoor in the form of a 700 acre rock garden called Palmer Park. I was concerned about the new One because of the weight, parts to upgrade, and the low bottom bracket height.
    The weight - the frame is a couple pounds heavier. No doubt about it the One (both versions) climbs amazingly well. The difference is in the weight and energy in your legs. I don't want to stop on climbs, I need the leg energy to survive long, epic days, and I need the leg energy for the multi day trips to Moab, Fruita and the Rockies. I think the heavier weight comes into after awhile, that's why I wanted a lighter bike.
    Parts - I would have had to get too many new parts. A new rear wheel for called for (12mm). New front derailleur. New 8.75x2.75 shock, an air shock that size is rare. The Diggle just had everything I was running already (10mm fun bolt rear, black stout link).
    BB Height - we all know the bb is low. With only 160mm fork it is even lower. My El Guapo bb height is 13.5 and I had a lot of peddle strikes. The Diggle height is 13.5 but somehow pedal strikes are 75% reduced = Diggle is perfect

I just wanted the best all-mountain bike and the Diggle nails it.

mtbr member
    Good points. Yeah, it would be nice to have something less burly than what the new One has become, but in the current geometry. The Diggle really was special for a trail bike. I doubt this would ever happen, but I would so jump on a carbon version of the v2 One, something that hits below 30lbs with the updated geometry (with possibly a higher BB...13.8"?). Would make a sick trailbike! Until something like that comes from Canfield, I'll huff and puff with my current build, and still keep my Ibis Mojo for longer XC rides with tons of climbing. Although, i'm using the Mojo far less nowadays and just making it a point to ride my v2 One for everything (37lbs with 66 RC3 evo, hammerschmidt, dropper post). More tired...yes. But i'm impressed at how doable it still is, with the limiting factor being my fitness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey, glad you dig the Diggle!
    How heavy is your complete build?
    I am still planning to build the new One and try it out. As you mentionned the suspension design is so damn good that I have a hard time justifying experimenting with other designs at the moment. And I have read some builds were rather "light" so it gives me hope it will turn out good for me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Final weight only came out to only 32lbs.

Damn, I want to ride this thing. Denver got hammered by small snow so I can only dream of riding.

There is nothing like the parallel link suspension. Climbs very efficiently and descends with so much plushness.

Chris

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Interesting concept with your build. I like it.

I'd love to see a remodeled Sauce brought back to life. Maybe kick out the old Sauce's HA a degree to a degree and a half. (old one was 68.4 or 68.5 depending on the sus setting)

Drop the TT a bit by putting a bend in it similar to what my (and your) Can-Diggle has.
    Have 5-6" of adjustable yet climable plushness.... Light weight.
    Something that would beg to have a RS Rev or Lyrik U-Turn on the front of it.

I'd kill to have someone have a size small 2008 Sauce for sale right now....

OR, a new/old release of the existing frame to hold us over until the boys' next concept comes to life.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster View Post
    I'd kill to have someone have a size small 2008 Sauce for sale right now....
    I was doing some research for my diggle build and found this thread. I guess you missed the small I got from ebay, but there is a small for sale on pinkbike if interested.

Brenda

mtbr member
    What's the reasoning behind the diggle front/one rear? What's different about the One rear?

I am kind of surprised there isn't a shorter travel One suspension out now. 4 versions of it was probably a bit much, but 2...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was just trying to save some weight. Think the difference was about 150g. Also I'm not doing huge drops so I didn't need the extra burliness of the Diggle rear. I may throw it on sometime in the future.

The bike still amazes me every time I ride it. I'm running it in the 8" mode with a CCDB Air. Amazing ride. I really like the shock except I can't use all the travel, seems to be common complaint about the shock.

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How come the switch to the DB Air? Monarch Plus not cutting it?