mtbr member

Derailleur hanger mounting bolt for Yelli Screamy

I busted a derailleur hanger on my Yelli Screamy and the mounting bolt was impossible to remove, even with the chainring bolt tool.

I finally had to resort to drilling the bolt out, which meant I had to use a new chainring bolt. I tried several single ring chainring bolts and they were all a couple of mm's too long.

Has anyone found a good chainring bolt that can replace the derailleur hanger mounting bolt? For now, I used a spacer to tension it and it seems to work.

mtbr member
    I would like to know this too, same issue here.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    I would like to know this too, same issue here.
    A single ring chainring bolt is what you are looking for... any LBS should be able to help you out...

mtbr member
    In checking, single ring chainring bolts come in widths ranging from 4mm-6mm depending on brand. The one that came with my Yelli had been crudely ground down to make it fit (rough, jagged edges & was not re-useable). My LBS had to make a replacement by filing one down to custom fit. Since Canfield doesn't include one with the $43. replacement derailleur hanger can you let us know which width or brand is the best fit so we don't have to grind?
    Also, these bolts are sold in sets of 4+ which is more than anyone needs. It would be good if Canfield Bros. would include one with the purchase of a hanger.
    Last edited by hrdude; 01-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Mine is loose too when the wheel is out, but it doesn't matter. The wheel bolts is what holds it in place.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    In checking, single ring chainring bolts come in widths ranging from 4mm-6mm depending on brand. The one that came with my Yelli had been crudely ground down to make it fit (rough, jagged edges & was not re-useable). My LBS had to make a replacement by filing one down to custom fit. Since Canfield doesn't include one with the $43. replacement derailleur hanger can you let us know which width or brand is the best fit so we don't have to grind?
    Also, these bolts are sold in sets of 4+ which is more than anyone needs. It would be good if Canfield Bros. would include one with the purchase of a hanger.
    Hrdude - Super sorry you had an issue with your bolt. I just checked with Lance and confirmed a 4mm-6mm single ring bolt will work as a replacement, however it's looking like you may need to file the 6mm a tad. I just did a little research with QBP and BTI and neither stocks anything less than 6mm.

I will contact our factory have them ship me a handful of them over with the next batch of Yellis that will be shipping late next month. We don't include bolts with the $35 replacement hangers as typically you can re-use the stock bolt, however in the future if someone needs one, just let us know.

Vin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Hrdude - Super sorry you had an issue with your bolt. I just checked with Lance and confirmed a 4mm-6mm single ring bolt will work as a replacement, however it's looking like you may need to file the 6mm a tad. I just did a little research with QBP and BTI and neither stocks anything less than 6mm.

I will contact our factory have them ship me a handful of them over with the next batch of Yellis that will be shipping late next month. We don't include bolts with the $35 replacement hangers as typically you can re-use the stock bolt, however in the future if someone needs one, just let us know.

Vin
    Vin,

It would definitely be helpful if the hangers shipped with a new bolt. Most chain-ring bolts will not fit (too long) and in my case the bolt was impossible to remove and I had to resort to grinding it down.

Cheers and thanks!

Canfield Brothers
    The chain ring bolt for the derailleur hanger is a 4mm. We are getting some as replacements and will be including it with the hanger as soon as we receive them. Until then, a 4-6mm length with a spacer will do the job. I'd like to thank you guys for pointing this out so we can make a better, more complete product.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.