mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Crampon Ultimate pins

I bought a pair of Crampon Ultimates to compliment my Yelli Screamy build a couple months ago. When I first pulled them out of the box I was startled at the scary appearance. Then I rode them and thought "They are great but I can tone down the pins length a bit". After a couple of rides with other pedals I realized they were perfect as is and always gravitate toward the Crampons Ultimates. I just got a fat bike and these pedals are excellent for winter boot and snow use.

My problem is I lose pins at an alarming rate and admittedly I pedal strike at least once every ride. I also bend the pins fairly regularly. The other day I was climbing a steep section of trail that has 6" of snow over rocky terrain. I wasn't high cadence cranking and touched a rock. Immediately stopped to inspect the pedals after replacing a half dozen pins an hour earlier. Yep, knocked one out. I understand that this is going to happen and I'm likely not going to mitigate pedal strikes but what will help? Should I try shorter pins or get wild with thread locker?

human dehumidifier
    I have had the same condition and suspect the pins on my pedals could use to thread into the pedal body a little more but they only go in so far so a tap would be needed to make that change. Or maybe it's better they don't so the pins "peel" out of the threads instead of snapping off.

Either way you're not alone, down to the point I was suspect of the pin length until I rode on them and then found them to work great.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Give them a dose of blue locktite and crank them down.
    You should be fine.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If the the threads are correct they should be fine although a lot shorter. Also the set screws that Canfield specs have the ability to be manipulated from either end of the screw, which is nice. I had never seen set screws with Allen wrench recesses on both ends.

mtbr member
    That is the problem. I don't know the pitch. They are 4 mm diameter.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina L View Post
    Christina L - Those are the ones.

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Christina L - Those are the ones.
    Anyone know where one can get these in a gold-ish color?