mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Crampon Mountain - Pretty damn killer pedals

When I first got these I found them comfortable but maybe not quite grippy enough.. coming off a set of RF Atlas that were just not holding up.

I eventually moved on to a set of DMR Vaults which seem to be a favorite for grip and durability. They are grippy, so much so that I had to neuter the pin setup. Unfortunately they succumbed to rock strikes as well with a cracked frame and stripped pin threads.

Rather than spend another 150 bucks I decided to give the Crampons another shot. Glad I did.

They really are bombproof pedals and I have grown to appreciate the level of comfort and grip they provide. It's a different feel than a super aggressive concave pedals out there but once you adjust they are just super functional.

My only real complaint is that because your foot tends to drape over the front a bit you do have to watch out for catching the toes a little more.

I've been smashing the crap out of these things and that machined body is so durable and provides a super solid base for the pins.

Destroyed a crank arm this weekend clipping a big rock with the pedal.. pedal seems fine.

Good shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice write up. My experiences are very similar.

I've had the original silver crampons for over a year now. Tough as nails. The colour hides the whacks and scratches very well. They get serviced when ever a little play starts to show, which is roughly on a 3 month basis, then as good as new.

I too have a little toe hang over, only left side. I never felt it's a fault of the pedal - just mostly because of the way I am. I needs to get me them mountain ones next.

Good shit for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Any issues with the grub screw style pins? My Nukeproof pedals have them and I feel like I lose a bunch of pins (even with locktite) each time I ride Whistler, or else they get bent over.

mtbr member
    No issues here, or anything I'd consider issues.

I've replaced a few. Mostly just used pliers to unscrew the ones that didn't have an allen head remaining. I think one or two have just come out but always able to screw another back in. Pin loss or distruction is just part of riding.