mtbr member

Couple of The One questions

Hey all.

Recently I've had the opportunity to get a like new The One. I was curious as to what some of you guys thought about getting the bike set up. I'll preface my questions by saying I'm pretty much a HT guy, having really dug a long travel HT like the Evil Sovereign but the bike is starting to cause more issues that smiles for me! A recent back injury is forcing me to a FS type of ride more and more as I just feel better after long rides on the HT.

I picked up the One from a friend who bought the bike last year and pretty much just never rode it. It ended up being too much bike for him and he never really fell in love with it. I'm coming from an Ibis HD as my FS ride. Essentially we ended up trading bikes which I clearly came out in the plus!

The bike is currently set up with a full xt build, 2x10, Crank Brothers Iodine wheels, Vivid rear shock and Talas 160 front.

Couple of The One questions-photo.jpg

So so far I love The One, it's pretty much exactly everything I'm looking for. It's done everything from light DH runs, spent some time in a jump park, gone on 30+ mile XC rides, and basically has been an amazing ride. While The One may not be the fastest climber around, it WILL climb anything out there.

Now on to some questions.

1. Fork - While I love the Talas I just would never use the Talas feature of the fork on this bike. I'm thinking about maybe getting a different fork, either a 170 Vengeance or a 180 Float. I wouldn't mind having a slightly higher BB, and I feel that pairing the fork to a Angleset would keep the head angle not too stretched out.

2. Cranks - The bike is running 175's right now, and while I wouldn't say pedal strikes have been an issue, I have clipped them in places that I haven't before. I more chock that up to being on a new bike with a new bb height and I'll adapt, but is there any really gain going to a 165 or 170 crank? From what I've seen so far from other posts it just doesn't seem like it would be a huge benefit and I feel like getting leg extension would be difficult.

I guess that's all I have for questions about the One for now.

I would like to add that if you're running a 2x or 1x set up and don't want to run a chain guide for some reason, that the Bionicon C Guide is pretty awesome. That little guy has really helped keep the chain on through everything I've taken in on, including jumps, high speed rock gardens and just general mayhem!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear your enjoying your new One. 2011 is a killer frame, it'll hold solid for years to come...

Regarding your questions,

Forks - Since your familiar with the Fox stuff and that your deliberating between the two I say go with the 170mm Vengeance. From what I have read and heard X Fusion is producing some quality gear. Trying something new and experimentation is always fun. Apparently their customer service is pretty good to.

A 170mm fork on that frame is great. Keep the external cup as well.

Cranks - I rode with 175 XT's for some time, the odd strike here and there, but nothing worrying. But for me, 90% of the time all of the up's are fire roads. I now have 165 XO's, great crankset, just sometimes I miss the extra extension.

You also mentioned an Angleset. I went that rout once, didn't/don't care for all the fuss that came with that headset. A much more reliable and HELL of a lot cheaper option is an offset busing. I got mine for $20 new, installed it in 5mins, raised the bb by 1/2" (7"mode on the 2011 is a shade under 13.8"), steepend the HA to roughly 65* and have all, if not more adjustment options than what the Angleset will ever offer. Probably the best $20 I'll ever spend on a bike. Bang for buck, really happy!
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Glad to hear your enjoying your new One. 2011 is a killer frame, it'll hold solid for years to come...

Regarding your questions,

Forks - Since your familiar with the Fox stuff and that your deliberating between the two I say go with the 170mm Vengeance. From what I have read and heard X Fusion is producing some quality gear. Trying something new and experimentation is always fun. Apparently their customer service is pretty good to.

A 170mm fork on that frame is great. Keep the external cup as well.

Cranks - I rode with 175 XT's for some time, the odd strike here and there, but nothing worrying. But for me, 90% of the time all of the up's are fire roads. I now have 165 XO's, great crankset, just sometimes I miss the extra extension.

You also mentioned an Angleset. I went that rout once, didn't/don't care for all the fuss that came with that headset. A much more reliable and HELL of a lot cheaper option is an offset busing. I got mine for $20 new, installed it in 5mins, raised the bb by 1/2" (7"mode on the 2011 is a shade under 13.8"), steepend the HA to roughly 65* and have all, if not more adjustment options than what the Angleset will ever offer. Probably the best $20 I'll ever spend on a bike. Bang for buck, really happy!

I completely spaced offset bushings! Mind shooting me a PM with where you got them? That sounds like the perfect fit for what I'm looking for!

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797 View Post
    I completely spaced offset bushings! Mind shooting me a PM with where you got them? That sounds like the perfect fit for what I'm looking for!

Thanks for the feedback!
    PM sent.

I'm thinking about getting a Bionicon C Guide for my Ragley Bagger. Just got back into HT riding, haven't ridden one since '03. So fun! Wish Canfield Bros would make a 26er steel HT...
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    I'm also thinking about setup. Wondering if I should tun a fox van 170 or 180 in the front or go with the lighter float. I think the dbCoil would be the shock for the rear