Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CB 29 er FS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

CB 29 er FS

So I am in the Market for a 29er FS and like what the Bros are doing. So dig the YS!!!

Whats the timing on a CB FS 29er??

Come on guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hahah.....the pressure is on for sure!!! List out your dream "must have's"........

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Must haves

Hmm. Thats a difficult question. I have been riding mtbs for more than 20 years and FS 26 since 95. Most recently 6" AM bikes that I ride 3~4 times a week over all sorts of terrain in AZ.

I have ridden a 429, a DB FS 29er, and 2 Rocky Mountain FS 29ers. Of these the 429 worked best for me, but was far from perfect. It was flexy in both wheel and frame and lacked small bump compliance in the rear suspension.

One of the traits that was common to all the 29ers was a lack of playfulness. They dont like to be manualled nor are they easy to load and jump.

While I am all about moving forward, I ride for fun not racing and I am having fun when I can move the bike around under me. This is a key component for me.

Since the brothers seem to key on the "fun" side of riding, I am very hopeful they can create a design that is playful, efficient, compliant and stiff (in that order)

I ride Moto on the street as well. I ride a KTM 950 supermoto. Best described as a giant motocross bike for the pavement. Is it the fastest bike?? Not by a long shot. But it puts a grin on my face every time I ride it.

My FS 29er needs to be the same. Kind of like a Yelli Screamy FS

The design elements that contribute to that?? Thats for the brothers to figure out. When the do, I will be first in line.

Brothers have any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Give us a 5" FS Yelli Screamy by skipping 29" wheels and going straight to 650b. Should be do-able with 650b wheels. Still luvin' my Yelli but want a bigger wheel FS to go with it.

mtbr member
    I'd love a 'one' suspension 29er. IF they could get a decent chainstay length; from the looks of my one, that will be a challenge. IMO they'd have to figure a way to cram 1.5" of wheel diameter in there, but only lengthen the stay by at most half an inch. It could also use more tire clearance than the older One had...

Between the Sultan, the Yeti SB95, the Tallboy LT, and the upcoming Ibis, there's some pretty stiff competition in the 29er trail bike market. If I were the Brothers, I'd make real sure I had something to offer compared to the current offerings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I'd love a 'one' suspension 29er. IF they could get a decent chainstay length; from the looks of my one, that will be a challenge. IMO they'd have to figure a way to cram 1.5" of wheel diameter in there, but only lengthen the stay by at most half an inch. It could also use more tire clearance than the older One had...

Between the Sultan, the Yeti SB95, the Tallboy LT, and the upcoming Ibis, there's some pretty stiff competition in the 29er trail bike market. If I were the Brothers, I'd make real sure I had something to offer compared to the current offerings.

beater
    Yeah, it is getting busy. And to add to that list, the Banshee Prime and the 140mm 29er Knolly is cooking up (reportedly by Interbike). I'm riding a pre-production Prime, and it's for realz. The basic requirements - slack, low aggressive geometry; stiff construction; 130-140mm travel; have been worked out already and you won't find much room there. I've never ridden a FS Canfield, but their suspension gets pretty enthusiastic reviews, and at the boutique end of the market, that's something people think about.

I'll probably never own a Tallboy LT, but I'm glad to see them on the market. Santa Cruz will probably sell a bunch of them, driving more fork/tire/rim/wheel developement.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    What's the Bros' take on carbon; any plans on visiting it for future frames?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

7MGTE

skip the 29er

Lets go with 650b, best of both worlds...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    Lets go with 650b, best of both worlds...
    Funny, I'd say the worst of both. Different strokes I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I too am not interested in 650

While a 650 B may be an intermediate step, I would suggest it is a compromised position that doesnt full capture the benefits of either. I can understand the need for 26 in certain types of riding and terrain and for certain heights, but for just about everything else the 29, especially with the better frame and wheel designs that are emerging, is good.

I also dont need 140 mm of travel with 29 wheels The stuff I ride, which is pretty chunky here in AZ, feels better on 29 /120 that it does on 26/160

CB, talk to us.

Canfield Brothers
    Hey everyone! I'm always here lurking around, haha. I here what your saying, we REALLY need this bike in our line up. Actually we feel like we need two bikes (maybe 3) added to the line up, different strokes for different folks, right?

We have been putting all our money and energy into getting the 9t hubs out (Mid June availability on all hub sizes) and a crankset to benefit from the taller gearing, ie spiderless and 4 bolt in shorty sizing. I'm really stoked on these products and hope it will drive the market in a new direction, being chain guided AM bikes with a big gear range, better chainring / ground clearance and better reliability.

On the frame side of things, we have the kinematics set for a 26" 140mm frame and our manufacturer lined up to build it. I question if we need to bump the travel up to 150mm? Chainstay length is directly affected as travel goes up, I really want a playful, jump friendly bike so voice your opinions here. I want the home run on this one, it's a huge investment for a little home grown company.

We haven't forgot about the 29er crowd, we are in the same boat on this one. A 100mm FS frame is ideal in geometry and the ability to produce it but are we missing the mark on travel? A 120 seem like a no brainer but 29er bikes feel like they have so much more "feel of travel", I don't want to go overboard. Not trying to build a XC racer but also not a FR bike either. Just a very capable 29er thats just as fun as the Yelli and able to blur the line between XC and AM and maybe even a little FR if built with a burly kit.

The 650B is in the mix too but each frame will need to follow the other. One frame generates the funds for the next. There is no question we can build the most amazing feeling FS frames on the market, taking the time to ensure every detail is addressed, all geo numbers are spot on and the bike can compete in the market with so many other offerings. I know we will hit a home run with these, I wish I could share more of the details.

All of your comments are appreciated!
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Cb

hey Fly. Thanks for posting. It is truly awesome to know you guys are using this forum for feedback.

Re the 29 travel. The type of bike you described is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a 29er. It is how I use my 26/160 now. I really think that is a 120 travel bike, but no more.

Rolling over all the small chunk a 100 with the big wheels is not problem, but I worry about doing the small drops I do on a 100 for fear of frame durability.

Any idea on timing on this 29er frame? Even approximately?

I want to wait for your frame if the timing is there.

Thanks again

Canfield Brothers
    Timing is next year. Design, prototype, Develop, order, wait for material, production, delays, bla bla bla...... I wish I could go straight from Design to finished production. I want it now! This is my priority.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Playful

A FS yelli screamy would be perfect. 120 rear 120-140 front short as possible chainstays 17.5 or under. a low bb somewhere slightly above 13" 68 degree head with 120 fork. Get radical and build around a microdrive drivetrain! No front deraileur and super short chainstays

dvo
    mtbr member
    "On the frame side of things, we have the kinematics set for a 26" 140mm frame and our manufacturer lined up to build it. I question if we need to bump the travel up to 150mm? Chainstay length is directly affected as travel goes up, I really want a playful, jump friendly bike so voice your opinions here. I want the home run on this one, it's a huge investment for a little home grown company. "

I am very interested in this frame. Is this designed to fall into the all mountain category? Have you set a target weight? My Jedi needs a little brother!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just built a NOS Canfield Balance (CrMo) in 5" travel mode. I use it for just about all my trail / AM riding and it rips. A lot of our local riders have never seen a Balance before and really like it. In the short dropout, 5" travel mode it's way more fun than the BottleRocket I just sold.

Haven't tried it but it looks like it might fit a 650b in the rear since the dropouts are adjustable.

Either way, a 26 / 650b bike in 140mm should be plenty for most trail / AM riding, and a good fit for the increasingly popular enduro racing segment.

BTW: I have a YS, that's pretty fun to ride smallish jumps and drops, but in really tight / steep g-out situations I like the Balance better.
    Last edited by dpeterson64; 05-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.

beater
    As mentioned above, I have a YS and a Banshee Prime. I know I'm a big-wheeler for the most part, but I'm 6'3" and I just like the way they roll in the lower travel ranges (which is where I started out). The point at which I'm willing to trade travel for smaller wheels is something that I've given some thought to, and while I've been doing that, 650b is gaining ground.

I recently pedaled a Knolly Chilcotin and felt like a bear on a tricycle. Then I hopped on a Delirium and that feeling went away. Both of those frames were size L, which is what my Yelli and my Prime are, too. A friend of mine has a Turner Highline, also a L, and that also felt good to me. So what do I really want for my next bike? Probably a 170mm 650b. I don't have much lift-served around me, but it would be nice to have a pedal-friendly light FR bike. A 650b-compatible One would be on the top of my lust list.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

7MGTE

Aaron Gwin not laughing...

Funny, I'd say the worst of both. Different strokes I guess.
    I have heard they have the roll over effect of a 29 er but the geo advantages of 26 inch bike.

All the reviews on mtbr or vital seem like people like them but I have yet to try one.

" Logan Binggeli, took the win on the arid, rocky desert course using 650b wheels"

Logan Binggeli Tops Aaron Gwin at 2013 Reaper Madness - News Blogs - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    I'd like to see a Yelli Krampus or Yampus or Krelli Screamy. 29er+ is the new 650b or not. But either way 3 inch tires on a ridge frame with a front fork adjusted to 140. Just for $hits and giggles.
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Or something to compete with the new 29er Enduro!

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Or something to compete with the new 29er Enduro!
    +2 (my brother wants one also)
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Just bumping this thread.

I've been riding my YS and N9 a lot this summer at my local trail system (Sandy Ridge) and having a blast. The 29er wheels are super fun in the rough, but toward the end of the day these bikes feel like jackhammers. A 120mm FS 29er based on Canfields philosophy would be sweet, I don't really need more travel than this.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    +2 (my brother wants one also)
    +1 on enduro. Slack, low, long with a short back end (430mm) If it is too hard to get 150mm travel at that chainstay length reduce travel until the rear wheel fits.

Nice work Canfield you guys rule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    Just a very capable 29er thats just as fun as the Yelli and able to blur the line between XC and AM and maybe even a little FR if built with a burly kit.

Perfect! 100-120mm would be perfect I think....100mm for for more XCish, 140mm fork for more AMish...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast